airline travel and cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shippy

airline travel and cpap?

Post by shippy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:23 pm

I am sure this has been posted before so bear with me if this topic is old. But i am going to be flying to Savannah Ga. in early June on a business trip to attend a seminar. Wondering about my cpap do i carry it on with me on to the plane (in its case), or do i let it get tossed around (worried about damage) with my luggage and wind up in the baggage compartment? Don't know what the airline policies are on medical equipment as this will be my first flight with the cpap along for the ride. Planning on not taking humidifier water and will purchase water after i arrive. Any help from the airline travelers out there will be appreciated, just want to see what i have to do now and not plan at the last minute.

Thanks Dale

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Always carry your cpap bag on the plane -- it doesn't count as a carry-on by FAA rules. Here are some links for you to read:

viewtopic.php?t=3142&highlight=faa and
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20011029.htm and
viewtopic/t17374/A-few-travel-questions.html

shippy

Post by shippy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Thanks Linda

Checked out your links, sounds like it will be o.k. to carry on with me.

Dale

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:24 am

Dale,

As mentioned, the machine is too delicate to pack as checked baggage. So you'll have to carry it on. However, check in advance with the airline you are taking, as some COUNT it as a carry-on and others don't. I'm still fighting with Delta to honor the Federal Regulation concerning this matter.
Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:28 am

I will never pack by machine in baggage again.

I have traveled many times, packed my machine away in the suit case. No problem.

Last trip, my BiPap turned into a CPAP.

No longer works as a BIPap.

Now I do have a new BiPap to replace it. Out of pocket. Very expensive mistake for me.

I now have a very expensive doorstop.

ONLY carry-on.

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:02 am

Put your mask and hose in separate ziplock bags. put your cpap bag through the xray machine by itself, do not put it in the same bin that you put your shoes in. Carry a 3-way adapter and an extension cord. Expect to have the bag taken for nitrate swabbing. Figure an additional 5 minutes for the swabbing. The TSA folks know what a CPAP is but they still usually, but not always, swab it.

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:51 am

For the record, the Delta representative sleepy-eyes interacted with made a mistake in charging for the carry on. It is against FAA regulations for them to do so. There should be no need to call the airline in advance, though I don't see what it would hurt if you wanted to. I've flown probably a dozen times in the last couple of years with several different airlines (including Delta), and I've never had it counted as a carry on - not once. Taking a copy of the FAA guidelines that someone linked to along with you in your CPAP bag, on the very slight chance you wind up with someone ignorant like sleepy-eyes did , might be a good idea.

Sleepy-eyes - did you ever get a response from Delta?

Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:12 am

No response yet.............that's why I say I'm "still" fighting with them. My last contact was sending them a registared letter. My phone calls have all been responded to negatively.
Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

ready2sleep

Post by ready2sleep » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:15 am

My husband and I just travelled across the country. He carried his cpap on with him and we had no problem. They did swab it everywhere he went, but wasnt that much of a bother. They were well aware of what it was, etc.

ready2sleep

Post by ready2sleep » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 am

My husband and I just travelled across the country. He carried his cpap on with him everywhere. They swabbed it everywhere we went but there was otherwise no problem.

Sleepy-eyes

Re: airline travel and cpap?

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:24 am

[quote="shippy"]I am sure this has been posted before so bear with me if this topic is old. But i am going to be flying to Savannah Ga. in early June on a business trip to attend a seminar. Wondering about my cpap do i carry it on with me on to the plane (in its case), or do i let it get tossed around (worried about damage) with my luggage and wind up in the baggage compartment? Don't know what the airline policies are on medical equipment as this will be my first flight with the cpap along for the ride. Planning on not taking humidifier water and will purchase water after i arrive. Any help from the airline travelers out there will be appreciated, just want to see what i have to do now and not plan at the last minute.

Thanks Dale

Chris

blarg

Post by blarg » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:32 am

CollegeGirl wrote:There should be no need to call the airline in advance, though I don't see what it would hurt if you wanted to.
Unless your flight is international.

The difference in security is hilarious. I have my main carryon bag (full sized) which has a laptop bag that pulls out of it, and then of course you take the computer out of the case, so that blows up in to three, and then I have my CPAP with me.

Took a while to get all that swabbed and through the Xray in the states. Well, welcome to Auckland. The kiwis just xrayed both bags whole and just let me walk off with my CPAP. lol.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:16 pm

Yep, I was referring specifically to domestic flights, since OP's flight is domestic. Things do get tricky when one flies international, as there are no laws in other countries against counting CPAP as a carry on. I've never had it counted, but you never know.

Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

Bellcrest

Post by Bellcrest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:47 am

blarg wrote:The difference in security is hilarious. I have my main carryon bag (full sized) which has a laptop bag that pulls out of it, and then of course you take the computer out of the case, so that blows up in to three, and then I have my CPAP with me.

Hey blarg.. can you tell me a little more about your carry on bag? I am planning an extended trip to the UK, Singapore and Australia and would love to also take my laptop but couldn't figure out how to carry cpap machine and laptop without breaking my back.

TIA

Shirley

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:38 pm

Back at Delta airlines again. You are still missing the point. Based on the original post the CPAP was not the issue - It was the the three other carryons. If my math is correct two people are allowed two cvarryons and two personal items. I read the post as three carryons not including the CPAPs. A purse, etc. is a personal item, not t third suitcase. If the person had followed the rules (two carry ons) I bet they would not have been charged the extra $50.