flow rate irregularities during REM

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Morbius

Re: flow rate irregularities during REM

Post by Morbius » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:25 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:34 am
Morbius wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:00 am
SWJ is Sleep Wake Junk (a term I invented), used to describe single channel data that appears to contaminated by Wake, Movement, Earthquake, etc.
Oh right, now I remember.

I got another one-- "Train Wreck Sleep Architecture".

Based on what has been stated so far, IMO you don't have an "SDB" problem, you got a "S" problem.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am

OMT just so I can get my post count up.

Look at this and tell me where you would get the most bang out of your buck:
vb.jpg
vb.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 1165 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:45 am

Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:25 am

Based on what has been stated so far, IMO you don't have an "SDB" problem, you got a "S" problem.
That's a good one. Gotta remember that. TWSA

Sort of like this guy below who didn't even have OSA (per in lab sleep study AHI 1 ish) but had really, really crappy sleep.
He got rather annoyed at me because I couldn't pull some magical machine settings out of my bag of tricks to fix his problem and wanted him to at least consider the Wellbutrin/or similar med (I forget exactly what he was on) as a contributing factor to the crappy sleep.

FWIW to the OP here....I see variances in flow rate similar to yours pretty much every night. It might be the phasic REM like Morbius talks about or it might just be from some tossing and turning a lot since I do have some pain issues causing some sleep problems.
Heck, might even be dream related changes in breathing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Just to pick up on the question about FLs and flex. When pressure increases at the beginning of inhalation, that little boost can prevent FL in some cases, reducing the effort and potential disruption that FLs can (in some cases) cause.

You might try A-flex, which might reduce the feeling that you're being hustled too fast into your next breath.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

jcpruitt89

Post by jcpruitt89 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:43 am
Your O2 levels are within the normal range,well above what's considered low.

Your device appears to be treating your apnea very well. Perhaps increasing your pressure, *might* optimise it a bit more. You had 3 flagged Flow Limitations and given the last one occured at the end of the session it's probably not real.

You're not allowing your device to increase pressure should it need to. Why?

Increase your maximum pressure, but I don't think whatever problems your having will be fixed by changing your CPAP settings.
I could try it I suppose, but in the past i felt like the high pressure was waking me up.

jcpruitt89

Post by jcpruitt89 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:50 pm

Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 am
jcpruitt89 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:07 pm
The top of the curves look like I'm getting flow limitations.
So how many? Your software says you got 2. Isolated single FLs, if they do not disturb sleep continuity (i.e., generate an arousal)(and you sorta hafta guess if all you got is a flow waveform) are totally benign. IMO you're trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing.
I guess I wasn't really specific, I have a significant amount of RERA's in addition to the FL's. Based on my stats I average around 1.5-2 RERA per hour and even with pressure changes this number doesn't change. I just don't feel rested even if I don't wake up which I often do.

jcpruitt89

Post by jcpruitt89 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am

vb.jpg
This was probably the best ahi I've had in probably 3 months but RERA is the highest. So maybe RERA? So are these Ratty Wave forms normal? Not every wave form dip triggers an event but a pretty large amount of all the "REM" waves have inspiratory dips to some degree. How do you decide when it is a problem?
Last edited by jcpruitt89 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcpruitt89

Post by jcpruitt89 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:04 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:45 am
Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:25 am

That's a good one. Gotta remember that. TWSA

Sort of like this guy below who didn't even have OSA (per in lab sleep study AHI 1 ish) but had really, really crappy sleep.
He got rather annoyed at me because I couldn't pull some magical machine settings out of my bag of tricks to fix his problem and wanted him to at least consider the Wellbutrin/or similar med (I forget exactly what he was on) as a contributing factor to the crappy sleep.

FWIW to the OP here....I see variances in flow rate similar to yours pretty much every night. It might be the phasic REM like Morbius talks about or it might just be from some tossing and turning a lot since I do have some pain issues causing some sleep problems.
Heck, might even be dream related changes in breathing.
There could be some truth to that in there. I do have mild OSA per the take home sleep study but it wasn't until I discontinued TRT that I could no longer sleep through the night. Back on TRT briefly to see if that was the ultimate cause or not. I sleep better but I'm still not relieved. I just don't feel rested ready to start the day ever. Just trying to find anything that stands in my way.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:07 am

jcpruitt89 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:50 pm
Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 am
jcpruitt89 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:07 pm
The top of the curves look like I'm getting flow limitations.
So how many? Your software says you got 2. Isolated single FLs, if they do not disturb sleep continuity (i.e., generate an arousal)(and you sorta hafta guess if all you got is a flow waveform) are totally benign. IMO you're trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing.
I guess I wasn't really specific, I have a significant amount of RERA's in addition to the FL's. Based on my stats I average around 1.5-2 RERA per hour and even with pressure changes this number doesn't change. I just don't feel rested even if I don't wake up which I often do.
Oh, I'm sorry.

In that case IMO you're trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:13 am

jcpruitt89 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:56 pm
Morbius wrote:

vb.jpg
This was probably the best ahi I've had in probably 3 months but RERA is the highest. So maybe RERA? So are these Ratty Wave forms normal? Not every wave form dip triggers an event but a pretty large amount of all the "REM" waves have inspiratory dips to some degree. How do you decide when it is a problem?
No. It's Variable Breathing at 45%.

IMO a real NPSG is warranted because I seriously doubt your AHI is even 6.xx (done with a home study).

And I say this because you're spending a lot of time and money on SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T NEED FIXING!!

And that needs to proven to you.

Put up a FatBit graph.

Pugsy gave you good advice in your initial posts.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:20 am

jcpruitt89 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:04 pm
I sleep better but I'm still not relieved. I just don't feel rested ready to start the day ever. Just trying to find anything that stands in my way.
Yeah, I'd go with taking horrible sleep and then trying to wear a CPAP mask at 15mH2O.

jcpruitt89

Post by jcpruitt89 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Morbius wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:13 am
jcpruitt89 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:56 pm
Morbius wrote:

vb.jpg
No. It's Variable Breathing at 45%.

IMO a real NPSG is warranted because I seriously doubt your AHI is even 6.xx (done with a home study).

And I say this because you're spending a lot of time and money on SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T NEED FIXING!!

And that needs to proven to you.

Put up a FatBit graph.

Pugsy gave you good advice in your initial posts.
So variable breathing is indicative of insomnia or poor sleep and that's what you think I should address? By saying "doesn't need fixing" what do you mean? My sleep lab titration was 13cm and you say you believe a setting of 15cm is contributing to my problem. What you should I do with the CPAP?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:15 pm

jcpruitt89 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:44 pm
I could try it I suppose, but in the past i felt like the high pressure was waking me up.
Something is waking you up, and you're blaming it on high pressure.

Since you were asleep, you have no way of knowing what actually woke you up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 am

jcpruitt89 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 pm
What you should I do with the CPAP?
NFI.

Get your sleep fixed and then we'll talk.

jcpruitt89

Post by jcpruitt89 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:40 am

Morbius wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:20 am
jcpruitt89 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:04 pm
I sleep better but I'm still not relieved. I just don't feel rested ready to start the day ever. Just trying to find anything that stands in my way.
Yeah, I'd go with taking horrible sleep and then trying to wear a CPAP mask at 15mH2O.
I think this answers that question.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210629-082756_ViHealth~3.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-082756_ViHealth~3.jpg (226.98 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Screenshot_20210629-082640_ViHealth~3.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-082640_ViHealth~3.jpg (232.02 KiB) Viewed 1048 times