Living without a humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Desert mans wife

Living without a humidifier

Post by Desert mans wife » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Okay,, I have a Dreamstation 1 as my regular machine. Needless to say, it is in the recall. I had gotten a Z2 travel machine the Friday before the recall. Being fairly new to the CPAP world, I have been trying a couple different mask styles, Dreamwear FFM and Resmed's F20. Dreamwear fits me slightly better. I read someone on the forum said they use the Dreamwear with the Z2 and its HME, even though the manufacturer says the HME doesn't work well with Dreamwear. I used the Resmed F20 for a few days with the Z2 and HME, and then the Dreamwear for the past 3 days. I didn't notice the lack of humidifier too badly, but this morning I woke with a rather sore and runny nose. For you all who don't use humidifiers, how do you keep your nasal passages happy? My mouth seems to be okay.

Janknitz

Re: Living without a humidifier

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:30 pm

I stopped using a humidifier long ago when my PRS1 humidifier gave out (a known manufacturer's defect). For a while I used passover humidification, then just stopped altogether.

It generally doesn't bother me, but I do sometimes get sores in my nose. When that happens I put a little bit of coconut oil on a QTip to sooth the sore.

The best solution is to stay well-hydrated, and be sure you're not opening your mouth in your sleep.

I even went on a trip to Vegas and then Albuquerque. Both very dry areas. No problem. But the relative humidity in my Northern California home is fairly high except on hot summer days (we alternate heat and fog), and I think that helps. .
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Desert mans wife

Post by Desert mans wife » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:43 pm

I live in the Southern Arizona desert, BTW. Low humidity. I have a little temperature / humidity monitor in my room; right now it’s about 19 - 20 percent.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Desert mans wife wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:43 pm
I live in the Southern Arizona desert, BTW. Low humidity. I have a little temperature / humidity monitor in my room; right now it’s about 19 - 20 percent.
I'm in Arizona. Have you tried one of the cool mist humidifiers and just put it in the room you sleep in near the intake for your cpap. That would probably be enough to help if you don't need a lot of humidity.

bierhere

Post by bierhere » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:39 pm

In a similar boat, I switched back to using my ResMed AirMini full time why the Phillips Dreamstation issue gets resolved. As a mouth breather, I have always had issues with dryness, but it actually seems a little better without the humidifier. I know that sounds weird, but my bigger issue is drueling and that is a lot better without. I bought the HumidX F20 over the weekend and will try that tonight to see if its any better than going without.

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:56 pm

Desert mans wife wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:33 pm
Okay,, I have a Dreamstation 1 as my regular machine. Needless to say, it is in the recall. I had gotten a Z2 travel machine the Friday before the recall. Being fairly new to the CPAP world, I have been trying a couple different mask styles, Dreamwear FFM and Resmed's F20. Dreamwear fits me slightly better. I read someone on the forum said they use the Dreamwear with the Z2 and its HME, even though the manufacturer says the HME doesn't work well with Dreamwear. I used the Resmed F20 for a few days with the Z2 and HME, and then the Dreamwear for the past 3 days. I didn't notice the lack of humidifier too badly, but this morning I woke with a rather sore and runny nose. For you all who don't use humidifiers, how do you keep your nasal passages happy? My mouth seems to be okay.
I'm pondering the same question. With the recall I've had to back up two generations of machines to an old M series. Unfortunately, I have so far only found two old water chambers for it around here. And, since it's no longer made, there don't appear to be any new ones available anywhere that I've seen. I'm at a really high pressure, so no humidification isn't really a good option.

I'm considering getting the Fisher and Paykel stand alone humidifier. It attaches via a short hose to your PAP machine, and then another hose runs from the humidifier to your mask. Of course, it can't support a heated hose option with that setup, but it claims to fit almost any machine. My main concern in your case is I understand some of the travel machines have a bit smaller diameter hoses than usual, so I don't know if that humidifier's hose would attach to your machine. Maybe there's an adapter out there if that's the case.

My DME talks down anything Fisher and Paykel. They claim to have had problems with their equipment. I don't know if that's the case or if it's just they don't sell F&P. But, regardless, there seems to be no choice because that's the only stand alone humidifier I've seen that's currently made.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... humidifier

Desert mans wife

Post by Desert mans wife » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:29 pm

HairyReasoner wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:56 pm

I'm considering getting the Fisher and Paykel stand alone humidifier. It attaches via a short hose to your PAP machine, and then another hose runs from the humidifier to your mask. Of course, it can't support a heated hose option with that setup, but it claims to fit almost any machine. My main concern in your case is I understand some of the travel machines have a bit smaller diameter hoses than usual, so I don't know if that humidifier's hose would attach to your machine. Maybe there's an adapter out there if that's the case.

My DME talks down anything Fisher and Paykel. They claim to have had problems with their equipment. I don't know if that's the case or if it's just they don't sell F&P. But, regardless, there seems to be no choice because that's the only stand alone humidifier I've seen that's currently made.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... humidifier

Hmmm, didn’t think of that. I was thinking of getting another CPAP, a Resmed 10 under my insurance’s rent to buy rigamarole. (I bought my Dreamstation with my HSA). Then I could get my Dreamstation fixed up when / if Respironics ever gets their act together and have a backup machine. But a stand alone humidifier also seems a viable alternative. The Z2 uses hoses with standard ends.

D.H.

F&P Stand-Alone humidifiers

Post by D.H. » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:48 am

I'm not sure that this is stll the case, but it was when CPAPs were still being sold without built-in or integrated humification.

The stand-alone humidifiers were built for either 100-120 volt electricity or for 220-224 volts electricity. You can not use them in a country that has a different voltage than your home country without a converter.

This is contrast to just about every CPAP currently on the market, which can run equally well on any voltage from 100 to 240.

Note also that some countries have 50 hz and some 60 hz, but I don't think that this is an issue with any CPAP or any stand alone humidifier.

Of course, there's the ever-present issue of socket configuration when traveling internationally, but that's to be expected.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:13 pm

D.H. wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:48 am
I'm not sure that this is stll the case,but that's to be expected. :?
JPB

Woody

Post by Woody » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:16 pm

Desert's Man's Wife, I may have a stand alone humidifier you can have for shiping
as i would use a flat rate box it would probably be about $30 .

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software