Sleeping pills

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepcrapnea

Sleeping pills

Post by sleepcrapnea » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 am

Does anyone else experience a good nights sleep on sleeping pills?

I do. If I have half a sleeping pill I have a good nights sleep. As in, I dont wake up as much and not in the early hours of the morning then stay awake. And I feel refreshed.

I read that sleeping pills are not effective for sleep apnea and do not address the sleep loss. I am not sure I have sleep apnea. At home sleep test said i dont. But definitely major sleep problems which may be my nasal obstruction.

Do others with sleep apnea get a good nights sleep on sleeping pills? Or does it make no difference.

I am not at all promoting them as a solution by the way. More im trying to work out my medical problems. I use pills sparsely and are a last resort for me when it gets too bad. And I think they are a bad thing to use. They are my last resort if I have consecutive sleep loss over many nights.

Sheriff Buford

Re: Sleeping pills

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 am

I take 3 mg of Melatonin and 500 mg of Magnesium. That's my "sleeping pill". I've been doing this for over 10 years. I does not interfere with my apnea condition.

Sheriff

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 am

I use CBD oil just before bedtime. It has the same effect as melatonin for me.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:00 am

I believe that the previous posters may have missed your point; sleeping pills are NOT a solution to SA. They may not interfere, but if you have SA without them, you will have SA with them. You may think that you are asleep, but a person with SA will be waking up to some degree or another all night. That was my case, with 12.5 mg CR of Ambien, I thought that I was asleep, but a sleep test showed that I had severe SA (AHI = 47).

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:14 pm

I avoid taking my hydrochlorothiazide in the evening.
Otherwise, my bladder drags me to the "throne" at inconvenient times.

Agar

Post by Agar » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:16 pm

Taking a small dose of ambien (2.5-5 mg) helps me fall asleep and when I wake during the night, I fall back asleep quickly. Laying awake with a CPAP on isn’t a good situation for me. I did not take a sleeping pill for the first seven weeks of therapy. There is no difference in the number of my events, mask off, etc.
AirSense 10 Auto; Dreamwear nasal but still searching