First few nights with APAP and I have some questions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MiggySmallz

First few nights with APAP and I have some questions?

Post by MiggySmallz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm

First time ever sleeping with a CPAP/APAP, I have my titration appointment with my doctor on 04/20. I do not yet have a prescription but wanted to give self try self titration a shot. I found a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Brand new with a brand new mask (Mirage FX) and heated hose sealed in packaging all for $350. I went through the settings and made some changes,
My min pressure is 8 and max 20
EPR is 3 and humidity is 6 I also turned off the ramp up mode.

I received and set it up for Monday night and have used it since. I also downloaded OSCAR and also set up a My Air account.
I have a few questions though, how accurate is the info on OSCAR and My Air? I was able to take a look at Monday's data on OSCAR and according to the report my AHI was 1.26 that night compared to my sleepy study report of 17.4. So that looked pretty good but how Accurate is OSCAR? I am going to give it about a week or 2 with these settings and make changes as needed.
Also is the info on the My air app any good as far as the mask seals/on/off and the events per hour?

I noticed last night that when I put my mask on It seems to make one of my nostrils congested, is there any advice on how to fix this? I'm also wondering if maybe the nasal mask (Mirage FX) might be too small for me. I put my mask on and make adjustments and connect the hose to the mask as the final step. I feel like I have a hard time breathing through the mask without the hose connected, is this normal?

The manual says to use distilled water in the tank, I filled it with tap water these last 2 nights. Will there be any issues if I continue using tap water?

I'll be sharing my OSCAR reports after a week or so to get some input and advice from you guys!
Thank you all for your help.

jimbud

Re: First few nights with APAP and I have some questions?

Post by jimbud » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm

MiggySmallz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm
how accurate is the info on OSCAR and My Air?
Oscar is very accurate.

I suppose My Air is accurate but very limited for titration.

JPB

Tap water is fine. May have to clean tank occasionally.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:55 pm

OSCAR is accurate because it just reports what your machine reports with minor rounding up or down differences.
The machine only goes to 1 decimal point and OSCAR will go to 2 decimal points. Not enough difference to matter...example the machine might show 1.7 AHI and OSCAR might show 1.67 AHI.

Tap water is fine. The worst that will happen will depend on how hard your water is....hard water causes mineral accumulation or "limescale" build up inside the water chamber. Looks yucky but doesn't really hurt anything and if it looks too yucky a good vinegar or lemon juice soak will clean it right up. I am on a well and in an area where there is a really high mineral content...hard water...and I have at times used tap water when I was out of distilled. Doesn't take me long to see a little build up but if I was in an area where the water was "soft" I could maybe never worry about it. I use distilled mainly just because I am lazy and don't want to clean the water chamber as I hate the smell of vinegar...that's why I use lemon juice.
My water is so hard that it kills coffeemakers in about 6 months....so my Keurig never sees tap water...it gets bottled water. Still gets some minerals but nothing like my tap water. Keurig's cost too much to be replacing every 6 months. :lol:

But in the cpap machine the mineral deposits in the water chamber don't actually ever have anything to do with the mechanics of the blower or the humidifier since it is last in line. So while it might look yucky....it won't hurt the machine.

The congestion might be related to humidity setting. You might need more or less added moisture to the air.
It might also simply be the mask pressing on the sides of the nose causing congestion. That happens to me which is why I don't like any mask that actually puts pressure anywhere on the sides of my nostrils. The reason behind me always using some sort of nasal pillow mask...nothing touching the sides of my nose.
If it is the humidity....just something you have to play with in terms of settings. Some people need lots of added moisture and some people need minimal added moisture...it's called cpap rhinitis (google it and read up) and trial and error sorting what your nasal mucosa might need.

MyAir sleep scores....more for a pat on the back than anything else and give people something to crow about.
Important thing is how you feel and how you sleep no matter what your score might be.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:24 pm

Just a note to say how great it is that you're taking charge of your treatment! You don't have to wait a week to start posting an Oscar chart or two, if you'd like people to make suggestions about dialing in your settings.

Back when travel was a thing, I would use tap water in hotels and just dump it out in the a.m. and wipe the bottom of the chamber dry. No muss, fuss, or residue.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 pm

MiggySmallz wrote:
First time ever sleeping with a CPAP/APAP, I have my titration appointment with my doctor on 04/20.
I don't think you will see your doc there, it will be a certified sleep tech.

MiggySmallz wrote:
My min pressure is 8 and max 20
EPR is 3 and humidity is 6 I also turned off the ramp up mode.
Look at you go - you are doing great.

MiggySmallz wrote:
I received and set it up for Monday night and have used it since. I also downloaded OSCAR and also set up a My Air account.
- you are doing great.

MiggySmallz wrote:
I noticed last night that when I put my mask on It seems to make one of my nostrils congested, is there any advice on how to fix this? I'm also wondering if maybe the nasal mask (Mirage FX) might be too small for me.
Maybe its too tight? And a size too small? Adjust the mask with your pressure on at the highest you expect it to go and lay down in your sleeping position. Then adjust the straps so any leaks just stop - no tighter.

MiggySmallz wrote:
The manual says to use distilled water in the tank, I filled it with tap water these last 2 nights. Will there be any issues if I continue using tap water?
I use distilled - some people like to make a BIG Deal out of this. Call me lazy. Distilled doesn't cost that much plus I make my window cleaner out of it. Tap water leaves spots.

What you should know is that bacteria feeds on minerals, the same minerals left behind. Enuff said.
Last edited by SleepGeek on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:25 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 pm
What you should know is that bacteria feeds on minerals, the same minerals left behind. Enuff said.
Links to the bacteria in question please. I looked...couldn't find any but maybe you have better sources than I do.
I would love to see supporting documentation to your statement please.
Thank you in advance.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:14 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:25 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 pm
Links to the bacteria in question please. I looked...couldn't find any but maybe you have better sources than I do.
I would love to see supporting documentation to your statement please.
Thank you in advance.
Life, Uh, Finds a Way....

He might be referring to lithotrophs. But the conditions in the humidifier chamber are hardly conducive to their growth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithotroph

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ar ... -eat-rock/
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am

GrumpyHere wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:14 am
He might be referring to lithotrophs. But the conditions in the humidifier chamber are hardly conducive to their growth.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ar ... -eat-rock/
Thanks. Interesting. I have slept too many times since Biology and BioChemistry in college.
I have never heard of any "bad" bacteria (as in harmful to humans) growing wild and abundantly in a little limescale in a cpap water chamber. Now I admit to not knowing everything out there but I find it unlikely that using tap water and getting a little limescale build up will allow anything to multiply in quantities that might hurt someone. Not all bacteria is "bad" anyway.
And of course we don't know for sure if they could hitch a ride on the vapor produced by the water chamber and heat to add humidity...lots of ifs and maybes there even if some bacteria reside in the water chamber feeding on limescale deposits.
There seems to be panic city when anyone mentions bacteria and an assumption that it's all bad and that's not the case.
Bacteria is everywhere in our everyday life as it is.

Even ResMed says that tap water is okay and they only mention the cleaning of the potential limescale build up as a negative...maybe.
They don't talk about bacteria any any of the documents I have seen in terms of limescale build up.

At any rate...easily removed with vinegar or lemon juice if needed or wanted.
Until I see proof of bad bacteria (harmful to humans) growing abundantly and feeding on limescale and presenting a health danger to humans....I will continue to say the worst thing is a little extra work cleaning the limescale off...and that's IF it even happens.
I know people using nothing but tap water and they never have any build up because their water simply doesn't have much excess mineral content.

I am not going to scare the bejesus out of someone with the "bacteria" comment about tap water until I see proof a risk exists.
Heck, I would bet my last dollar that if we culture the water in the chamber and it's distilled water, that we could probably grow something but that doesn't mean the something will hurt us because that something most likely came from the air we breathe 24/7 as it is.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
GrumpyHere wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176417&p=1314761&hi ... #p1314695

Think pink slime search Serratia marcescens

http://antimicrobe.org/b26.asp
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:25 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:02 pm
Pugsy wrote:
GrumpyHere wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176417&p=1314761&hi ... #p1314695

Oh that pink stuff....it happens with distilled water and isn't limited to tap water...and it's pretty much everywhere.
Easily removed with soap and water....I have seen it myself with my distilled water use. Not the end of the world.

Have a nice day.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:02 pm

From wikipedia
S. marcescens is commonly found growing in bathrooms (especially on tile grout, shower corners, toilet water lines, and basins), where it manifests as a pink, pink-orange, or orange discoloration and slimy film feeding off phosphorus-containing materials or fatty substances such as soap and shampoo residue.
Please stop fearmongering by making vague references to bacteria feeding off minerals.

Improper cleaning with soap or shampoo can actually contribute to the problem you fear. You need to thoroughly rinse out the residue or you're providing the food source for them.

I recommend 3 rinses on washing if you insist on washing.
Even if 10% residue is left after each rinse, the final residue is at most 0.1%
Last edited by GrumpyHere on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:25 pm

Oh that pink stuff....it happens with distilled water and isn't limited to tap water...and it's pretty much everywhere.
Easily removed with soap and water....I have seen it myself with my distilled water use. Not the end of the world.

Have a nice day.
You are right, its everywhere, it is air born and IMO is facilitated by washing with tap water & soap (phosphates) then leaving things out in the open air to dry - esp drying in the bathroom - THE worst place in the house.
GrumpyHere wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm
Please stop fearmongering by making vague references to bacteria feeding off minerals.
Sorry NOT fearmongering - LIFE is a learning experience and sometimes with polite conversation we can save people the pitfalls.
GrumpyHere wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm
Improper cleaning with soap or shampoo can actually contribute to the problem you fear. You need to thoroughly rinse out the residue or you're providing the food source for them.
Exactly MY point = Thank You PaleRider
I'd rinse with distilled but that would start more flames I expect.

Lucky for me I've never seen pink slime only read about it here so forgive me if you can - but yea you can do things like this more than one way.

I've cheated the devil and beat the grim reaper so yea - Everyday is a nice day - Thank You.
Last edited by SleepGeek on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

MiggySmallz

Post by MiggySmallz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:24 pm

Thank you all for your answers. Its my 3rd day on the APAP. I feel like I see some slight improvements in some of the symptoms I've been having. Although I am not sure if its just my mind playing tricks on me or a placebo. :lol:
I have noticed my eyes are not as tired as before using the cpap also possibly little less tired than before. It's too early to tell but I really hope I keep feeling better and better!!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:34 pm

Improvement can be subtle, so I bet that’s what’s happening for you. Avanti!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 am

FWIW (which isn't much) for me some symptom relief was rather quick to see but other symptoms took a lot longer to reduce.
First it took me a month to really be able to sleep sort of soundly with all the gear on. It just isn't natural. :lol:
Then the nocturia and killer morning headaches went away fairly quickly but the other more subtle symptoms like fatigue etc....took months for me to notice significant improvement.
Waking at 7 AM and needing a nap at 9 AM....that went away fairly quickly. :lol: Other general stuff....slow improvements.

We didn't get this way overnight but we sure want cpap to fix us overnight and while some people are very lucky and find marked relief overnight....most people don't.