Problem switching from N20 nasal to F30 full mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ladd

Problem switching from N20 nasal to F30 full mask

Post by Ladd » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 am

After many years of successfully using my ResMed Airsense 10 Auto with ResMed N20 mask, I purchased a Resmed F30 full face mask as I was having difficulties with closed nasal passages due to Spring allergies and beginning to have a reaction to the Flonase nasal spray used before going to sleep. It arrived yesterday and I fitted the new mask to what appeared to be appropriate. I changed the Airsense 10 mask setting from "nasal" to "full".

I was quite surprised that night when I went to bed and inhaled to start the machine that the pressure generated by the AirSense 10 was double or triple what I was used to with the nasal mask and VERY loud! It sounded like a massive air leak and the machine was going full blast to compensate. I pushed the mask tightly to my face to eliminate any possible leaks and nothing changed. No way I or my wife were going to be able to sleep with that noise.

Thinking that I must have set something up incorrectly, I switched back to the nasal mask for the night. This morning, I have re-read the instructions that came with mask and also the instructions for the Airsense 10 with no enlightenment.

Yes, I have a beard. And no, I didn't expect this problem to occur as I have used a different model Resmed full face mask occasionally in the past with little to no problems. "Occasionally" being defined as so long ago that I can't find it now, hence ordering a new F30 full face mask as the design style if very similar to the N20 mask I usually use every night.

If folks would care to offer advice or tips as to how I might have fitted the mask incorrectly or not changed the settings on the Airsense 10 correctly or anything else that might be affecting my situation, I would be most appreciative.

restoresleep

Re: Problem switching from N20 nasal to F30 full mask

Post by restoresleep » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:15 am

I'm only 2 months into using APAP so am absolutely no expert but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I have the same machine but have a F20 full face mask. I started on the F30i mask, so the same as the F30 just the tube connection comes from the top of your head rather than the front of your mouth. I have slight stubble and couldn't get a good fit with the F30i and had constant leakage. To reduce the leak I had to tighten it to the point I was getting pretty sharp and unbearable facial and jaw pain. I do think this was partly stubble and partly my nose just wouldn't fit well onto the nasal area of that mask. I then tried the F20 and found this to be perfect for me.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the F30/F30i are more like 'hybrid' masks as opposed to 'full' face masks. The difference being that the F30 combines a nasal pillow with a mouth cushion, whereas a full face mask (like the F20) goes 'above' and 'around' your nose. So the F30 has your nose 'sitting' down onto the mask, whereas the F20 has your nose 'inside' the mask.

I have found that when I let my stubble get anywhere near beard length then I begin to lose the seal. As soon as I shave again the seal is great and I get 0.0 leakage. It's interesting to see that I can track my facial hair growth by how much leakage I get overtime: more facial hair = more leakage. So I wonder if your issue is your beard preventing the mouth cushion from getting a good seal around your mouth? I'm a mouth breather so need the full face mask, but your previous nasal mask probably wasn't affected by your beard and since you've used a nasal mask for so long perhaps you don't need the additional mouth cushion that comes with the new mask?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:52 am

Ladd wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 am
If folks would care to offer advice or tips as to how I might have fitted the mask incorrectly or not changed the settings on the Airsense 10 correctly or anything else that might be affecting my situation, I would be most appreciative.
Go to youtube an watch four or five videos on fitting, adjusting and general usage - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +face+mask

The beard may be your undoing.

cyberdreamer

Post by cyberdreamer » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:23 pm

I've recently switched to F30 after using the Swift FX Nano (similar to N20) for many years.

I couldn't understand your problem. Is it leaking or not? You need to determine if it is leaking and the source of the leak.

As Granny pointed out, fitting the F30 is tricky in the first few days. You need to let the cushion inflate to get a good seal. I suggest only attaching the bottom straps after the cushion is inflated in your face.

Regarding the beard, I shave every 4 days because the masks begin hurting when hair grows too much in my case.

Finally there are several alternative steroid sprays to Avamys.
Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset (humidity 7, slimline hose) (5 years)
Mask: Resmed F30 (medium) (1 year)
Previous masks: Swift FX Nano (5 years); Dreamwear Nasal (few days); Swift FX pillow (few days)
Sleep study in 2016 with AHI 12 and some oxy desats

Ladd

Post by Ladd » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 am

Thanks for all the advice.

I have watched multiple videos on YouTube and while all of them say the F30 is very comfortable, few to none of them say the mask works with a full beard. I clearly made an error by focusing on the masks apparent design similarities to the N20 nasal mask which I use and like. The N20 seals well with my upper lip hair and uses the same "air pillow" design as the F30.

I have tried tightening the straps and adjusting the tightness between the various connection points, with only modest improvements. I have reduced the noise a bit, but it is still significant and the "mask test" feature of the Airsense hasn't varied from the Red Face. I'm guessing that the leak is below my bottom lip but am unable to pinpoint it; even pushing the mask tightly to my face barely reduces the leak noise. I guess my beard is too full and dense to get a good seal.

The ResMed Airtouch F20 is purportedly one of the better masks for full beards; I may have to purchase one of those on the open market. If there are other brands or models that I should investigate, please let me know.

On a related note: I started growing my beard when I graduated from high school. I shaved it at age 30 because I wanted to see what I looked like without a beard. Once satisfied with that, I grew it back and have had it ever since. I retired many years ago. Can't say shaving the beard is high on my list of possibilities! :-)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 am

Full face masks can present challenges even without facial hair being involved but there are reports of people who have "Santa Claus" beards being successful getting good seal with a FFM. I think a lot may depend on the hair texture and density. Nice soft thin hairs might be easier to squish down and seal than coarse thick hairs. I have looked at this with my husband in mind (not a cpap user but with facial hair that is very coarse and thick) and I can see where he would most likely have extra challenges.

Now I have heard of guys using some sort of conditioner on their beards having it make a difference in the seal success. I have no idea if it would help you or not but it is something to consider.

Let's face it....FFM simply have more real estate needing to be kept sealed than nasal masks...so more area for there to be a problem with or without facial hair.

If going without facial hair is out of the question then maybe revisiting a mask that simply doesn't have to touch so much hair might be a consideration.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Ladd

Post by Ladd » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:34 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 am
Now I have heard of guys using some sort of conditioner on their beards having it make a difference in the seal success. I have no idea if it would help you or not but it is something to consider.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Many years ago when I was diving in the Caribbean, I had a prescription mask and needed to slather Vaseline into my beard to get a good seal. I'm sure that would work again in my current situation, but it seems a bit extreme.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:00 am

Ladd wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 am

On a related note: I started growing my beard when I graduated from high school. I shaved it at age 30 because I wanted to see what I looked like without a beard. Once satisfied with that, I grew it back and have had it ever since. I retired many years ago. Can't say shaving the beard is high on my list of possibilities! :-)

i am right there with you, bro!

i use nasal pillows because i couldn't get a seal with a full face mask.

good luck.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg