Resmed S9 Elite: Fixed 16+cm2 - H5i~less humidification options/HumidX with S9 or other pass-over humidification; remote

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Carrawa

Resmed S9 Elite: Fixed 16+cm2 - H5i~less humidification options/HumidX with S9 or other pass-over humidification; remote

Post by Carrawa » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:31 pm

I am looking for a range of solutions to individual issues, with the ultimate ideal of a setup for terrestrial travel, use at home (powered) and long distance travel by foot or bicycle, with limited or no access to electricity. I have tried searching for old appropriate historical posts on multiple forums for some time, but have had little luck and hope someone can direct me to relevant posts or information that I can work to implement.

10 years ago when diagnosed, my obstructive sleep apnea progressively prevented sleep until no sleep for three days on end each week  (Sun-Tues), and that was at a lower weight than now. Without pressure and sufficient humidification, I simply don't sleep.

For me, humidification is necessary, to what extent I am trying to determine without causing issues. I have used the S9 sans H5i and with H5i as pass-over as mentioned below, unsuccessfully.

The machine is 10 years old, supposedly due for replacement (and well so according to who I bought it from) unless I can avoid it – it has done good service and could still be useful. I am having problems with H5i getting persistent Climateline heated tube errors at start up or shortly thereafter even after using a new tube last week, but with significantly less frequency, even having stopped since Monday when on the phone to the supplier. The error does not happen with H5i disconnected. Understanding why this happens would be wonderful, as I have 5 Climateline tubes (all more than 4 years old) and used to swap them to fix the error (over the last year). Buying a new H5i leads to the dilemma of spending money that could be spent on a new unit, which I am not opposed to, but I obviously want to choose the best option. There is also the wait for a new model in the cycle versus buy what is available as it may not come soon.

I spoke to the supplier who seemed to have dashed my hopes with testing HumidX on the S9 to see if the Airmini is an option, indicating there is no possible way to do this and it voids warranties/treatment etc. No battery option other than third party set ups. The Airmini's low power draw, size, portability and weight are the attractions – can sleep anywhere provided your not robbed. The S10 seems the only other option and I would like to stick to Resmed. The S10 cab be tested but is along the lines of the S9 so I don't need to test it, but the Airmini needs to be bought with a 30 day return or similar to test if it works for me.

The issues:

1. Resmed S9 Elite humidification: To determine if it can provide enough appropriate humidification, has anyone used HumidX or Plus with a Resmed S9 and how? Has anyone got a successful workaround? An online Chat with CPAP Australia said no as well as a long enlightening but disheartening phone call. In late 2018, I tested the S9 without the H5i for less than 30 seconds with the slimline tube though it felt like a flamethrower down my throat, and this was before the upper respiratory infection i have had since March 2020 .The S9 H5i in pass-over with settings to zero felt only a little strange, left me with 5-6 hours of sleep (humidity woke me up) which felt ok except for the really sore throat in the morning, something I don't get from the S9 with H5i on. This leads to 2.

2. Passive Passover humidification: Does anyone use passive pass-over humidification container unit other than by turning off the H5i, just the unit Resmed S9 itself, passive humidification, pass-over unit and tube/mask. Do you have a set up that provides better humidification? This would hopefully cut out some weight for non home/mains powered use. I think there was a guy who climbed Kilimanjaro with one and a Z1 with some attachments some time ago, but cant find the information again.

3. Battery options: Many solutions I see appear to be for lower pressures for camping/short stays/accessible power/recharge, not distance hiking/bush walking. They are heavy and seem to be insufficient for higher pressure machine requirements or longer periods. What battery options do people who operate at high pressures use for long distances/periods, DIY or commercial, weights? Lithium is obviously the way to go, but what setups work? Possibly modular or expandable. I have watched many YouTube videos on DIY setups but am not sure they are suitable for CPAP, my purposes, or are designed primarily as backups or used for car camping.

4. Solar: This links to 3. above, reliability to recharge and meet pressure requirements. What experiences that effectively charge a suitable battery. and do the job, does anyone have?

5. Cycling: 1. to 4. above if resolved could deal with this, but does anyone have experience with (from the wheel(s)) dynamo recharging their batteries while cycling or similar set up? Cycle X klms then generate enough power to sleep soundly etc.

Air-Mini Questions/S10

1. I understand the Air-mini and S10 do auto and fixed, when in the fixed mode, can the machine adjust the fixed pressure treatment for lower/higher weight by themselves or does this need to be done manually like the S9?

2. The S9 is quiet, more noise from the mask (P10 now and previous masks) than from the machine. Have people created solutions like a 3D printed diffusing/muffling case or like for the Air-Mini if the noise is disturbing?

A bit of a list, though if I can get answers to the above, then i can work towards solutions. Possibly an Air-mini, if humidification can be resolved/assured. Otherwise an S10, or delay replacement (may be catch a deal but doubt it with COVID at the moment) if the machine H5i continues to cease playing up with an option someone provides.

Thank you if you can answer these questions, including at a future time.