It’s no wonder cpap compliance is so liw

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ander35

It’s no wonder cpap compliance is so liw

Post by Ander35 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 am

No matter how many problems I solve, more problems pop up and make it impossible to use cpap. I hate this thing. I think the best solution is to sleep on my side with a pillow blocking me from rolling over. My sleep study said it is positional, that I had no event on my side.

Nightmare.

Additional Comments: ahi 21 in sleep lab ahi 7-10 now system indicates large leak

ChicagoGranny

Re: It’s no wonder cpap compliance is so liw

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 am

Ander35 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 am
My sleep study said it is positional, that I had no event on my side.
Be careful with this type of interpretation. Did you have long periods of all stages of sleep on your sides? A long period of REM sleep on your sides is needed. It's common for obstructive sleep apnea to be most predominant in REM sleep.
Ander35 wrote:
No matter how many problems I solve
You have made 14 posts or comments. I don't know what is in the other posts. Since you are having a lot of problems, it's best to stick to one post (this one) to consolidate everything. This allows people who are helping you to see the history of all the problems and what has already been tried.

BTW, many of us started out with a plethora of problems that seemed impossible to overcome. By persistence, we eventually solved them.

khauser

Post by khauser » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:47 am

Ander35 wrote:
No matter how many problems I solve, more problems pop up and make it impossible to use cpap. I hate this thing. I think the best solution is to sleep on my side with a pillow blocking me from rolling over. My sleep study said it is positional, that I had no event on my side.

Nightmare.
Almost all of your questions so far have been around periodic breathing and/or monitoring. Admittedly I did not read everything ... did you post actual problems you are trying to solve?

The way a person approaches problems in general has a huge impact on their ability to cope with and learn new behaviors. If someone plays the part of 'victim' (this happens to me, it's not my fault, it's the fault of 'x'), then subconsciously they are looking for excuses and not motivated towards resolving the actual problem, just in proving it won't work for them.

On the other hand, if one is trying to move forward and approaches it from a "this is a problem I need help resolving" and accepting of ideas to try, they subconsciously are trying to improve themselves and/or the situation, and far more likely to succeed.

Work to be the second kind of person, not the first. If you work or allow yourself to be the first, there's really nothing that can be done to help. Put another way, there are no magic cures to sleep apnea. No pill will solve it. YOU will need to put in some effort.

I will suggest that while you are having issues with simple compliance, focus on just that. Forget Periodic Breathing. Don't even look at your AHI. All you need to think about is what is impeding the use of the machine.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:57 am

Anders, I know you've had mask problems but don't know what other problems you've had. Could you let us know? We're here to try to help.

About your plan. If you can train yourself to sleep exclusively on your sides, then I think your next step should be another sleep study so you can confirm you really don't have events when you side-sleep. This echoes Chicago Granny's caution, and I think it's in the spirit of the attitude khauser is describing. You'll have to be very honest with yourself about whether you're actually sleeping on your sides, and you'll have to do that second test. Otherwise you risk just fooling yourself, which will be bad for your long-term health.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:01 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 am

BTW, many of us started out with a plethora of problems that seemed impossible to overcome. By persistence, we eventually solved them.

so much this.

to the op: it IS a wonder that we stick with it at the beginning. various and sundry things go wrong. master the method for fixing one problem and another crops up. and on and on.

we've been there, which is why we're here. and we can help.

all of the responses so far are spot on. and i know that you can do this. you've got it.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:33 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:01 pm
stick
Help! A spike protein is attacking me!
~.JPG
~.JPG (20.01 KiB) Viewed 821 times

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:32 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:33 pm
zonker wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:01 pm
stick
Help! A spike protein is attacking me!

~.JPG
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

UglyBob

Post by UglyBob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:05 pm

Ander35 wrote:

Nightmare.
Sorry this isn't helpful but I completely understand what you are saying. I've had (still have) constant problems myself, and like you, I'm beginning to think all the trouble isn't worth it. But like others have said, being open to suggestions and trying to positively work through the problems in incredibly important. I know that sounds weird next to what I said just before it, but it's absolutely true. If you give people on this board enough information to help you, many of them gladly will.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 pm

I wish I could wave a wand and change your attitude about cpap.
Many of these "insurmountable obstacles" could only be little bumps in the road.
You just need to view them from a higher angle.
You are stronger than they are.
Stand tall, and step over them.