Tips for getting a doctor to take me seriously

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
clarkgarg85

Tips for getting a doctor to take me seriously

Post by clarkgarg85 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:25 pm

So I show almost all symptoms of sleep apnea, and went to the doctor's about it a week or so ago, and just got given nasal spray to try for a month.. so far it's done nothing.

I've heard a lot of people who's doctors don't take you seriously about it and I'm worried that will happen to me too. Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to take you seriously?

Also - are there specific tests that I should ask for them to do incase there are other sleep related issues going on?

LSAT

Re: Tips for getting a doctor to take me seriously

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:19 pm

Overnight Sleep Study is the only way to know for sure what sleep problems you have.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:23 pm

Have you been tested recently for e.g. thyroid problems, diabetes, any one of a slew of things that could cause sleepiness?

Have you looked into a new doctor?

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:41 pm

If your doctor doesn't agree with your self diagnosis and treatment plan, it does not mean he doesn't take you seriously. If you have a problem with any doctor, you need to find another doctor.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:33 pm

Did you say “I’d like to have a sleep study.”

And then did the doc say “No.”

There’s got to be more to this story.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:55 pm

I have a doctor like that. For several years at routine checkups I would tell him of being very tired during the day and issues sleeping at night. He kept suggesting things that would supposedly help me 'sleep' better thinking it was insomnia or similar, but none of it helped. I was suspicious of apneas occurring at night and had read that during an apnea event ones blood oxygen levels dropped. I found a device I could wear at night to monitor O2 saturation and heart rate (Wellue O2Ring). The first couple of nights wearing it and looking at the results pretty much pegged the fact I was having apnea events. I took the results to my doctor and he scheduled up a sleep study of which I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Now on CPAP and my nightly O2 levels are where they should be.

Fill out this questionnaire and if the numbers lean on the side of apnea symptoms print it and take it to the doc.
http://www.stopbang.ca/osa/screening.php

The readings and graph below are what I was looking like on one of the first few nights of monitoring O2 saturation.

Attachments
o2 3.0.jpg
o2 3.0.jpg (329.17 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:27 pm

That Stopbang thing is SOO out of date! Snoring is NOT a 'given' for apnea at all, neither is age, weight, gender or neck size.

There IS a test called the Epworth Scale (or close to that) which you could Google and take to get a real, if limited test.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Julie wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:27 pm
That Stopbang thing is SOO out of date! Snoring is NOT a 'given' for apnea at all, neither is age, weight, gender or neck size.

There IS a test called the Epworth Scale (or close to that) which you could Google and take to get a real, if limited test.
You are correct. I did a quick search for sleep/apnea questionnaire and the StopBang was the one that came up and I didn't look further. The questionnaire from my hospitals sleep lab (which I couldn't find readily) is more in line with the Epworth Scale evaluation.
https://www.harringtonhospital.org/wp-c ... naire-.pdf

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:24 pm

That's a terrific one - more extensive than the Epworth!

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:30 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:58 pm
The questionnaire from my hospitals sleep lab (which I couldn't find readily) is more in line with the Epworth Scale evaluation.
I'm pretty sure that any certified sleep center would use the Epworth Scale.
clarkgarg85 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:25 pm
Also - are there specific tests that I should ask for them to do incase there are other sleep related issues going on?
Find a certified sleep center then Ask your doctor for a Polysomnogram. IME if/when the doc doesn't order it properly the lab will coach them with what is needed. You will want a split night study - but the doc has to order it or the lab will have you come back for another nite. While some insurance will cover an at home Polysomnogram others may not. Call your insurance before you talk with your doc so you know.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:08 am

Won't necessarily need a split (2) night study depending on how the first one goes... it's the lab's (and doctor's) call.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:57 am

Julie wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:08 am
Won't necessarily need a split (2) night study depending on how the first one goes... it's the lab's (and doctor's) call.
Unless things are different where you are in Canada the dx portion will determine if you get the titration portion, the point is it must be ordered by the doc.

"Patients with a respiratory disturbance index (RDI) higher than 40 during the first 2 hours of diagnostic PSG should undergo a split-night PSG study. The final portion of the study is used for titrating the continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device. Split-night studies may be considered for patients with an RDI of 20-40, as based on clinical observations (eg, prolonged obstructive events, marked oxygen desaturation). A minimum of 3 hours of sleep is preferred to adequately titrate the CPAP device after this treatment is started.

https://www.medscape.com/answers/295807 ... -apnea-osa
"
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:03 pm

You might try using a recording oximeter, as others have suggested, though you may have apnea without showing any significant desats. (I was diagnosed with moderate apnea even though my O-sats never dropped below 90 and were mostly around 94-96.)

Do you have a bed partner who has observed you stopping breathing off and on during the night? That is good evidence.

I think doctors listen better when you are specific about subjective symptoms (meaning symptoms they can't observe for themselves). For example: I need a nap every day; I nod out when I'm driving/working/reading; I can't sustain a train of thought, which is affecting my ability to do my work; my mood is unusually gloomy; I struggle to find the word for something; I'm unusually irritable, and my friends have noticed; I feel no energy during the day.

But there are some doctors who for some reason don't want to explore the possibility of a sleep disorder. This may be especially true when the patient doesn't fit the stereotype (= older, male, overweight). If that turns out to be your doctor, I agree with others that you need to find a doctor who is a better listener and diagnostician.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:11 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Do you have a bed partner who has observed you stopping breathing off and on during the night? That is good evidence.
could this become a new pickup line?

"say, baby, how'd you like to come home with me and see if i stop breathing during the night?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Start nagging the doctor for a sleep test.
Be a pest.
But be a nice pest.
Present the doc with written results of the Epworth, or the better one.
If he is still hesitant, ask for a recommendation for a COMPETENT physician.

***Zonker, that's tooooo funny!