Any consensus on best FFM mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RoboLobo

Any consensus on best FFM mask?

Post by RoboLobo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:58 am

Yeah, it's a silly question. It's like asking about your favorite Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor (it's Cherry Garcia). I am about to give up on my Simplus due to ongoing leak problems due to what I consider poor manufacturing quality (too much lateral play between the cushion and the frame, which I am seeing on about half of the cushions I am getting from my DME). Trying to decide what mask to try instead. I have tried most of them already but it's been a few years. Nothing really special about me except a big head and a narrow bridge (Padacheek helps with leaks around that area a lot), clean shaven, mostly side sleeper but sometimes on back. I do want my nose sealed off so something like the Amara View won't work, I don't mind not being able to read in bed with my glasses. Can't think of much else, appreciate any and all opinions/experiences etc. Thx!

Cruiser1234

Re: Any consensus on best FFM mask?

Post by Cruiser1234 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:07 pm

Masks are very personal - that said, I use the Resmed F20. I do get the odd leak, but overall it works well.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:14 pm

In 12 years of using FF masks, I find that Simplus is the best I have used, but as Cruiser said...it's a personal thing.

RoboLobo

Post by RoboLobo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:22 pm

I have *loved* the Simplus, but it's just having issues these days. LSAT, does what I am describing as to the lateral play between the cushion and the frame something you have experienced yourself, or am I just going mad? The frame and the cushion are supposed to fit tightly enough to seal off their connection, right? I e-mailed F&P this morning to bitch at them, they don't seem to want to accept consumer inquiries, they probably want you to complain to your DME. I have yet to find any sort of workaround to make the two parts connect better (tightly), if any of you have any ideas other than crazy glue I am open to hear them. Thx! :mrgreen:

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:37 pm

The one that FITS.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:30 pm

This question comes up frequently, always worded a little differently. The fact is, every person here has or is going thru the process of trying masks until they find the perfect mask for them. With time and trial you will find yours. Nobody can help you with their favorite because i know how my resmed quattro fx fits on me, but i don't know how it would fit anyone else. whether 9 out of 10 or 1 out of 10 people use any given mask has absolutely nothing to do with how it would fit you. good luck.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:04 pm

RoboLobo wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:22 pm
I have *loved* the Simplus, but it's just having issues these days. LSAT, does what I am describing as to the lateral play between the cushion and the frame something you have experienced yourself, or am I just going mad? The frame and the cushion are supposed to fit tightly enough to seal off their connection, right? I e-mailed F&P this morning to bitch at them, they don't seem to want to accept consumer inquiries, they probably want you to complain to your DME. I have yet to find any sort of workaround to make the two parts connect better (tightly), if any of you have any ideas other than crazy glue I am open to hear them. Thx! :mrgreen:
Mine is not exceptionally tight, but air doesn't leak in that area. I have had the same frame for over a year and have changed cushions 2-3 times with out any problems with leaks.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:18 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:37 pm
The one that FITS.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:04 pm

I found one that actually fit my odd little face.
It was an off brand, and was discontinued almost immediately.
Those stinkers!