How to diffuse the blowing from the vent

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleep2Dream

How to diffuse the blowing from the vent

Post by Sleep2Dream » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 pm

I am using Dreamwear Nasal Cushions. I tried using basic white waterproof medical tape to attach a small piece of gauze over the vent, but the tape wouldn't stick. Any other ideas? I can't stand the stream of blowing air from the vent!
Mask: ResMed N30i Nasal Cushion
Home Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Travel Machine: Z2 Auto

Sheriff Buford

Re: How to diffuse the blowing from the vent

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 am

The vent on your mask helps remove the carbon dioxide from your breath. You may have to get another mask if you can't sleep with your current mask, but under no circumstance should you try to block the vent. ''

Sheriff

Sleep2Dream

Post by Sleep2Dream » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:56 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 am
The vent on your mask helps remove the carbon dioxide from your breath. You may have to get another mask if you can't sleep with your current mask, but under no circumstance should you try to block the vent. ''

Sheriff
I understand that. I'm not trying to block it--I just want to see if I can get the air to blow out differently, rather than in a single, forceful stream.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:49 am

Tape won't stick to silicone. Been there and tried that.
Try anchoring the gauze over the vent hole with something thin you can wrap around and won't actually block the vent hole....like a bread tie or something thin and flexible but still able to hold.

You won't find any tape that will stick well and even if you did it's a PITA to place it to hold the gauze and not cover the vent hole with tape.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleep2Dream

Post by Sleep2Dream » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:13 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:49 am
Tape won't stick to silicone. Been there and tried that.
Try anchoring the gauze over the vent hole with something thin you can wrap around and won't actually block the vent hole....like a bread tie or something thin and flexible but still able to hold.

You won't find any tape that will stick well and even if you did it's a PITA to place it to hold the gauze and not cover the vent hole with tape.
Thanks, Pugsy! You've given me some ideas. :-)

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:43 am

Sleep2Dream wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 pm
I am using Dreamwear Nasal Cushions...
I liked the Dreamwear mask, except for the jet-stream blast out of the vents. You might want to consider ResMed's "Diffused" venting in a comparable mask the next time you are shopping for a replacement. It's *MUCH* softer and quieter. I think the difference is night and day.

-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 pm

Having put up with the vent jet from the Swift FX for several years, I find the vent jet from the Dreamwear less noisy. It hits my sheets much less, or maybe I've adapted to it from the years with the Swift FX, hard to tell. Since some venting is done up top where the hose attaches, it may also be that there's less going on at the front of the mask. At any rate, I can live with it, given the other features of the mask that I do like.

My approach is to wear ear plugs, and call it a day. I really do like the Dreamwear more than any of the ResMed masks that are equivalent, less hard structure makes it easier for us side-sleepers to get comfortable. The nasal cushion flexes easily without losing contact, and with the top tube attachment you have less tube directly in your face. Pretty nice design for what it is. I like a lighter mask in general, but don't feel the weight of the Dreamwear as much as I thought that I would. The ResMed N30 is a nice, light design with more diffuse venting (not a Dreamwear equivalent, that would be the N30i) but has the "too much structure" problem for me when sleeping on my side. The N30 cushion gets pushed around too much wihtout being able to flex and I get more leakage than I like to see. The Dreamwear generally has a 0 leakage number on the CPAP display in the morning, the N30 around 16. The leaks from the N30 don't appear to wake me up, though, ear plugs are useful *smile*. I pull out the N30 on the odd night for its weight and more diffuse venting, but always end up going back to the Dreamwear for less leakage.

Don't have any suggestions for adding a vent diffuser, though. Stopped trying to modify masks some time ago, it was a losing battle for me. The silicone always won. And the Dreamwear is working for me at this point, vent jet and all.

Sleep2Dream

Post by Sleep2Dream » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:36 pm

JayDee wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:43 am
Sleep2Dream wrote:
I liked the Dreamwear mask, except for the jet-stream blast out of the vents. You might want to consider ResMed's "Diffused" venting in a comparable mask the next time you are shopping for a replacement. It's *MUCH* softer and quieter. I think the difference is night and day.

-JD
I like the way the Dreamwear mask has the hose attached at the top of my head, instead of in front of my face. I'm a side sleeper, and spend most of the night alternating sides I'm sleeping on. The jet-stream blast out of the nasal cushion is the only one that bothers me. They're all fairly quiet, but I can't stand feeling air blowing directly on me like that, and I find it hard to position my hands/arms so I don't get blown on.

As RogerSC said:
RogerSC wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 pm
I really do like the Dreamwear more than any of the ResMed masks that are equivalent, less hard structure makes it easier for us side-sleepers to get comfortable. The nasal cushion flexes easily without losing contact, and with the top tube attachment you have less tube directly in your face.
I just wish I could do something about the vent jet. I also can't figure out why I am getting incomplete mask fit lately. As far as I know, I haven't changed anything.

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Sleep2Dream wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:36 pm
JayDee wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:43 am
Sleep2Dream wrote:

-JD
I like the way the Dreamwear mask has the hose attached at the top of my head, instead of in front of my face. I'm a side sleeper, and spend most of the night alternating sides I'm sleeping on. The jet-stream blast out of the nasal cushion is the only one that bothers me. They're all fairly quiet, but I can't stand feeling air blowing directly on me like that, and I find it hard to position my hands/arms so I don't get blown on.

As RogerSC said:
RogerSC wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 pm
I really do like the Dreamwear more than any of the ResMed masks that are equivalent, less hard structure makes it easier for us side-sleepers to get comfortable. The nasal cushion flexes easily without losing contact, and with the top tube attachment you have less tube directly in your face.
I just wish I could do something about the vent jet. I also can't figure out why I am getting incomplete mask fit lately. As far as I know, I haven't changed anything.
Have you looked at the ResMed AirFit N30i (nasal) or F30i (full-face)? Links follow...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -cpap-mask
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -face-mask

They are copies of the PR DreamWear nasal & full-face. Even has the hose on top. I wish everyone would copy ResMed's diffused venting.

-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

Sleep2Dream

Post by Sleep2Dream » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 am

JayDee wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Have you looked at the ResMed AirFit N30i (nasal) or F30i (full-face)? Links follow...

They are copies of the PR DreamWear nasal & full-face. Even has the hose on top. I wish everyone would copy ResMed's diffused venting.

-JD
Thanks, I'll look into that. I guess I should give my DME a call.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:45 am

JayDee wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm

-JD
Do note that not every ResMed mask has really diffused venting like the AirFit P10 or the AirFit N30. Do a little research with youtube and user reviews first. I did try the N30i, and I wasn't impressed enough with the venting on the N30i to put up with the extra structure in the nasal cushion area. The resulting non-flexibility ended up causing leaks and discomfort for me as a side sleeper.

Still getting very low leak numbers and good comfort level from the Dreamwear. As they say, though, your mileage may vary *smile*.