Experimenting with a nasal masks. Will the leaks decrease?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kong

Experimenting with a nasal masks. Will the leaks decrease?

Post by kong » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:52 pm

I used a nasal mask last night. Specifically, I tried a ResMed AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask. Should I be concerned about my results and the excessive leaks? I don't normally wear a nasal mask. I was unaware of breathing through my mouth, although my results basically say that I did. Are the leaks likely to lessen over time?
screenshot-20201108-184641.png
screenshot-20201108-184641.png (106.53 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Pugsy

Re: Experimenting with a nasal

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:06 pm

It might be a little mouth breathing but it just as easily could be mask movement. I never worry about leaks when trying a new mask that first night. Sometimes it just takes little micro adjustments in the tension to deal with mask movement enough to cause leaks.

Whatever it was that caused it...5 % of the night and if I slept through it I wouldn't panic by any means.
If you like the mask then continue to give it a trial and maybe just do little micro tweaks with the straps and just keep an eye on the leaks.

It was roughly 24 minutes randomly throughout an 8 hour or so night.
For the most part you spent very little time above 30 L/min and actually up to 35 L/min the machine can do a fair job of compensating for leaks.
ResMed does the 24 L/min line for large leak territory but it a bit conservative and how badly a leak can impact things gradually grows the farther into large leak territory your go. You don't immediately go in the toilet at 28 L/min anyway. Now if you spent a lot of time around 48 L/min...different story.

It takes time and experience when learning about a new mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Re: Experimenting with a nasal masks. Will the leaks decrease?

Post by LSAT » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:07 pm

Try taping your mouth...that way you will eliminate the mouth breathing from the calculation.

zonker

Re: Experimenting with a nasal masks. Will the leaks decrease?

Post by zonker » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:00 pm

may i suggest this?-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

following jays method of using scuncis across my mouth, i have eliminated mouth breathing. i'm a full bearded fellow and couldn't seem to get tape to work.

but the linked method works for me. perhaps it will work for you.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg