Possible build-up of CO₂ within mask - clogged exhaust(?)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
melato

Possible build-up of CO₂ within mask - clogged exhaust(?)

Post by melato » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:17 am

I'm using a nasal pillow mask, and for the past month or so, on some nights, the mask has been difficult to use and I've kind of felt like I was suffocating (or couldn't breathe comfortably). Despite this, I usually manage to fall asleep within half an hour. But often, I have found myself waking up without my mask on (probably taking it off while half-asleep), which almost never used to happen before. I suspect the reason for this is that the exhaust (tiny holes on each side beside the hose) is clogged and it makes the CO₂ build up in the nasal mask and hose(?).

And I think it could be getting clogged because I sometimes, unintentionally, hold my fingers over the exhaust sometimes when I put the mask on/off, and this could in turn make tiny amounts of sebum (naturally occurring oil on skin), and possibly tiny residues from hair wax, creams etc, go into the tiny exhaust holes. To be honest, I don't clean my equipment as often as I'd like, and I think this, combined with the fact that it's difficult to clean inside these tiny holes, makes those things build up over time thereby clogging the holes of the exhaust. Atleast that's my theory.

Ideally I'd clean it every other day in the morning and let it air dry through the day. However, this is how it usually goes: when it's morning I forget to do it, and when my bed time comes I remember again, but it's usually to late and I'd rather go to bed. Or alternatively I just postpone it, because it can be a tedious task and my willpower and self-control is a bit weak. The next day comes and it's the same thing, then again the next day etc.. until either I remember it by chance.. or it starts to smell too moldy - and then I feel guilty for letting myself let it go so long and inhaling potentially neurotoxic mold for night after night. And now I'm also lucky enough to be able to worry about all the nights I might have had damaging levels of CO₂ in my bloodstream.

I know I need to get a proper routine for cleaning these things, and I'm gonna keep trying to attain that. But atleast right now, I think I should buy myself a new mask.

Have anyone else had problems with the exhaust of your mask?

How often do you wash your equipment?

Julie

Re: Possible build-up of CO₂ within mask - clogged exhaust(?)

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 am

I think that if you know you have problems with a mask, either change it for another one or else clean it better/more often. It's not a big deal to keep e.g. a large needle near the mask (if protected from pets) and use it to clean the vents when needed, followed by a good wash or rinse. We can't make you change your routine, but you can, and I doubt if you'll find a mask with vent holes that never need addressing, or a mask that doesn't need cleaning, if only to keep yourself healthy. But I also doubt that you're having a build-up of CO2 enough that it makes you sick... but then I haven't seen your mask.

I suppose if you can afford to toss masks whenever they get dirty (and not care about overflowing landfills with plastic) that's your choice, but it seems a shame. Can you not at least use a baby wipe on the mask cushion weekly (or more) if a sink full of soapy water (maybe with a little vinegar) is too much trouble?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:25 am

It would be extremely helpful if we knew exactly which mask model and brand for one thing.
And pressures used and is ramp being used...
melato wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:17 am
mask has been difficult to use and I've kind of felt like I was suffocating (or couldn't breathe comfortably). Despite this, I usually manage to fall asleep within half an hour.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

larryn

Post by larryn » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:29 am

If you have an water pick,use it to clean small places (or holes). Works for me.

melato

Post by melato » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 am
I think that if you know you have problems with a mask, either change it for another one or else clean it better/more often. It's not a big deal to keep e.g. a large needle near the mask (if protected from pets) and use it to clean the vents when needed, followed by a good wash or rinse. We can't make you change your routine, but you can, and I doubt if you'll find a mask with vent holes that never need addressing, or a mask that doesn't need cleaning, if only to keep yourself healthy. But I also doubt that you're having a build-up of CO2 enough that it makes you sick... but then I haven't seen your mask.

I suppose if you can afford to toss masks whenever they get dirty (and not care about overflowing landfills with plastic) that's your choice, but it seems a shame. Can you not at least use a baby wipe on the mask cushion weekly (or more) if a sink full of soapy water (maybe with a little vinegar) is too much trouble?
I do clean everything atleast once a week.

The holes are really tiny, so I don't think a needle will fit. They're more like many interwoven fibers of plastic.

I'll order a new mask for now (or collect one at the hospital cause it's free) and I'll try to take better care of that one.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:28 pm

A needle will not work--use a water pic, canned air, or a denture tablet.
Then rinse to reduce the excess minty scent.
If you have not tried the next larger p10 pillow size, you could try that.

melato

Post by melato » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:25 am
It would be extremely helpful if we knew exactly which mask model and brand for one thing.
And pressures used and is ramp being used...
Sorry, I selected the equipment to show on my profile right after I made the account, but somehow it didn't show, so I redid it, and now it shows.

As you probably know, the machine I'm using can automatically adjust pressures depending on the need through the night. However, before I go to sleep; I manually set the minimum pressure depending on how clear my nose is and according to what I think will work best for me. I use pressures between 7 and 12 (range is 4-20). Most often I set the min pressure at 8-9. The machine doesn't change it much throughout the night.

I don't use ramp

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:39 pm

If you're cleaning it once a week you're cleaning it a lot more often than many of us and it aligns with the P10 cleaning instructions. Quit beating yourself up, your maintenance is fine.

If the alleged CO₂ was related to your cleaning ritual, you would notice a pattern where problem nights are not occurring on equipment cleaning days.

I doubt that it's a CO₂ (venting issue). If your mask wasn't venting properly, you would experience breathing issues shortly after putting the mask on. Having a second mask is always a good idea, but I think other problems are worth exploring.

Put an SD Card in your device,
download OSCAR,
post some graphs.

Perhaps something will show up that better explains the problems you're experiencing.

melato

Post by melato » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:43 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:28 pm
A needle will not work--use a water pic, canned air, or a denture tablet.
Then rinse to reduce the excess minty scent.
If you have not tried the next larger p10 pillow size, you could try that.
Ok, I might try some of that. I don't have a water pic and I don't wanna but it just for this, but I have started using the kitchen sink with very high water pressure.

I wouldn't use canned air for this, cause I think there's some harmful things in there, I don't remember what, but I read about it once.

melato

Post by melato » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:58 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:39 pm
If you're cleaning it once a week you're cleaning it a lot more often than many of us and it aligns with the P10 cleaning instructions. Quit beating yourself up, your maintenance is fine.

If the alleged CO₂ was related to your cleaning ritual, you would notice a pattern where problem nights are not occurring on equipment cleaning days.

I doubt that it's a CO₂ (venting issue). If your mask wasn't venting properly, you would experience breathing issues shortly after putting the mask on. Having a second mask is always a good idea, but I think other problems are worth exploring.

Put an SD Card in your device,
download OSCAR,
post some graphs.

Perhaps something will show up that better explains the problems you're experiencing.
Okay, I just feel I should do it more often because of the moldy smell. The mold might have settled at some occasions long ago where I didn't clean it for even longer than a week. And now it might flourish more quickly because of that and I need to wash it more often. Just my theory. Anyway, I will make sure to keep the mold at bay when I get my new mask.

And yeah, I have noticed on some occasions that cleaning it has helped the breathing problems, that's part of the reason why I have this theory.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly, but I DO experience these breathing difficulties right after putting it on.

I do have an SD-card and I have the old version of the software - Sleepyhead (just haven't updated yet). I was disappointed to see that I couldn't see the amount of venting - only the leak rate IF there was an actual leak (which there rarely is, so on the graph it's at 0 most of the time)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:03 pm

I found a third party water pic (different name) at another retailer for about $20.
The sink cannot provide enough pressure, but denture tablets work like gangbusters.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 pm

melato wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:58 pm
Okay, I just feel I should do it more often because of the moldy smell. The mold might have settled at some occasions long ago where I didn't clean it for even longer than a week. And now it might flourish more quickly because of that and I need to wash it more often.
Give it a good soak in vinegar, that will kill of any mold remnants.

Then keep it as a spare for your new mask.

melato

Post by melato » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 pm
melato wrote:
Okay, I just feel I should do it more often because of the moldy smell. The mold might have settled at some occasions long ago where I didn't clean it for even longer than a week. And now it might flourish more quickly because of that and I need to wash it more often.
Give it a good soak in vinegar, that will kill of any mold remnants.

Then keep it as a spare for your new mask.
Yeah, I soak the hose and mask and everything in vinegar (mixed with 1/2 water) once every 1-2 weeks. It doesn't seem to help much, except for the first few days.

melato

Post by melato » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:55 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:03 pm
I found a third party water pic (different name) at another retailer for about $20.
The sink cannot provide enough pressure, but denture tablets work like gangbusters.
Okay, I'll look for something cheap. Might try those tablets as well.

melato

Post by melato » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:01 am

melato wrote:

Yeah, I soak the hose and mask and everything in vinegar (mixed with 1/2 water) once every 1-2 weeks. It doesn't seem to help much, except for the first few days.
I mean I use vinegar once in a while, but I also clean it with soap in between those times.