Can I diagnose sleep apnea for my mom using CPAP device and OSCAR software?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WWu777

Can I diagnose sleep apnea for my mom using CPAP device and OSCAR software?

Post by WWu777 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:47 am

Hi Everyone,
I have a question. My mom may have sleep apnea too. She gets drowsy a lot during the day and has to take light naps a lot. At night she makes slight choking sounds too while she sleeps, my dad said. So I'm worried that she might have sleep apnea too, since she's a little overweight.

However, you know how old people are, they are very stubborn and don't like doing new things or changing their routine, so me asking her to go to a hospital and doing a sleep study would only be met with stubborn refusal and resistance from her.

So I was wondering, if I hooked her up to my CPAP device and used OSCAR or the default software in it, would that be able to diagnose if she has sleep apnea or not? What if I just use the default software within it that you monitor with an app? Would that be sufficient to do that? Or would only the OSCAR software be able to do that?

If so, would the results be solid and reliable? Can the program tell how often you choke or gasp for air during sleep?

Thanks.

Dog Slobber

Re: Can I diagnose sleep apnea for my mom using CPAP device and OSCAR software?

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 am

Based on:
  • Your posting history
  • Lack of experience
  • Argumentative nature
  • Refusal to accept advice from others which more expertise and experience
You are not a good candidate to be testing and diagnosing your mother.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:33 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 am
Based on:
  • Your posting history
  • Lack of experience
  • Argumentative nature
I would have to agree. Perhaps the mother can come here instead, or they can both go to apneaboard for help.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 am

Sure.... I have helped three of my family members get on cpap without a sleep study. Their oscar readings show that they have their apnea under control. Hopefully, the best thing your mom may have is you. Having you to coach her is a luxury most folks don't have. Hopefully, after having a successful night and feeling better during the day will inspire her to continue therapy. Best of luck.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 am
Sure.... I have helped three of my family members get on cpap without a sleep study. Their oscar readings show that they have their apnea under control. Hopefully, the best thing your mom may have is you. Having you to coach her is a luxury most folks don't have. Hopefully, after having a successful night and feeling better during the day will inspire her to continue therapy. Best of luck.

Sheriff
Unfortunately the OP has a machine that isn't supported by OSCAR and no one here has access to the software it does use or has any idea what data is shown on that software using any software that might be available (if found) from the brand of the machine manufacturer.

No one here uses or knows anything about the machine he is using or even knows what data might be available.

I wouldn't advise trying to self diagnose his mom with the machine he has. He doesn't know what he is doing and no one here knows much about his machine....and no OSCAR compatibility available to help anyone learn.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:18 pm

IOW, no.
YOU can not.
Somebody else, with a compatible machine, and the knowledge, etc. could--
But not you, W.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:47 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Based on:
  • Your posting history
  • Lack of experience
  • Argumentative nature
It doesn't matter how qualified I am. I am asking if the software in my CPAP can diagnose sleep apnea in someone, and if it's possible theoretically. I am educated and computer literate and if there's a way to diagnose sleep apnea using CPAP software, I believe I am competent enough to do it if I have good step by step instructions.

You seem very biased and using unfair mean ad hominem attacks against me. I never did anything wrong to you. Your behavior is very illogical and not very mature either. Of course I take advice from people and have. Everything you say I have taken into account. You only say that I am "argumentative" because you don't like my posts or opinions. Not because I lied or said anything wrong or incorrect. There is nothing wrong with discussing different views and opinions. That's part of a free society. There is no law that says we all must have a hive mind and agree on everything. If you believe that, I'm sorry to say you are under mind control. I think deep down, you are projecting your subconscious hatred toward me because you have issues, not because I said or did anything wrong. You should listen to Mark Passio on YouTube to help wake up. He's brilliant and helps people wake up.

Either way, I have nothing against you. So please don't attack me for no reason. Everyone here deep down knows that's wrong. You do too, deep in your heart. Your hatred is totally unjustified and must be a projection of your inner state and chaos, not a true reflection of me. That's very likely.

In any case, I politely ask that you please stop insulting me. I have nothing against you and am not looking for an unnecessary irrational fight, from which I have nothing to gain. Thanks and hope you understand.
Last edited by WWu777 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:51 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 am
Sheriff Buford wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 am

Sheriff
Unfortunately the OP has a machine that isn't supported by OSCAR and no one here has access to the software it does use or has any idea what data is shown on that software using any software that might be available (if found) from the brand of the machine manufacturer.

No one here uses or knows anything about the machine he is using or even knows what data might be available.

I wouldn't advise trying to self diagnose his mom with the machine he has. He doesn't know what he is doing and no one here knows much about his machine....and no OSCAR compatibility available to help anyone learn.
Do you mean I would need the OSCAR software to diagnose sleep apnea?

The only software available for my Z2 Auto CPAP is something called Nitelog app. I tried it out last night and all it gives me it seems is a graph of red, yellow and green bars for every hour of the night. The red bars stand for severe apnea, the yellow for moderate apnea, and the green for no apnea. I don't understand how that works. How can it categorize each hour like that? I imagine it must take all the data each hour and does an average right?

The red and yellow bars are the indicators of apnea. So if I had my mom on the device and it showed yellow or red bars, then that would indicate apnea right?

The Nitelog thing doesn't get any more detailed than that.

Is there another software or app I can use? Or is Nitelog the only one?

This is the one I used:

https://www.breas.us/nitelog/

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:01 am

What part of
Pugsy wrote:
machine that isn't supported by OSCAR
did you not understand?

You are stuck with what the machine gives you in Nitelog. That's it. OSCAR won't work with your machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:01 am

What part of
Pugsy wrote:
machine that isn't supported by OSCAR
did you not understand?

You are stuck with what the machine gives you in Nitelog. That's it. OSCAR won't work with your machine.
Well I can get another refurbished machine from the supplier for home use that will work with OSCAR, such as AIrsense 10, if that's better.

So you mean Nitelog cannot diagnose sleep apnea? If a person uses it and it shows any yellow or red bars which show AHI indicators of apnea, isn't that a diagnosis that the person has sleep apnea? How many yellow and red bars would be required to show that? Does a normal person get all green bars every hour usually?

Just wondering.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:30 am

WWu777 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:47 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Based on:
  • Your posting history
  • Lack of experience
  • Argumentative nature
It doesn't matter how qualified I am. I am asking if the software in my CPAP can diagnose sleep apnea in someone, and if it's possible theoretically. I am educated and computer literate and if there's a way to diagnose sleep apnea using CPAP software, I believe I am competent enough to do it if I have good step by step instructions.

You seem very biased and using unfair mean ad hominem attacks against me. I never did anything wrong to you. Your behavior is very illogical and not very mature either. Of course I take advice from people and have. Everything you say I have taken into account. You only say that I am "argumentative" because you don't like my posts or opinions. Not because I lied or said anything wrong or incorrect. There is nothing wrong with discussing different views and opinions. That's part of a free society. There is no law that says we all must have a hive mind and agree on everything. If you believe that, I'm sorry to say you are under mind control. I think deep down, you are projecting your subconscious hatred toward me because you have issues, not because I said or did anything wrong. You should listen to Mark Passio on YouTube to help wake up. He's brilliant and helps people wake up.

Either way, I have nothing against you. So please don't attack me for no reason. Everyone here deep down knows that's wrong. You do too, deep in your heart. Your hatred is totally unjustified and must be a projection of your inner state and chaos, not a true reflection of me. That's very likely.

In any case, I politely ask that you please stop insulting me. I have nothing against you and am not looking for an unnecessary irrational fight, from which I have nothing to gain. Thanks and hope you understand.
The fact that you were specifically and recently told the machine you bought did not work with OSCAR, and responded if you could use OSCAR with your machine to diagnose her reenforces everything I said as being true.

It's not ad hominem, it's both relevant and true.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:35 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:30 am
The fact that you were specifically and recently told the machine you bought did not work with OSCAR, and responded if you could use OSCAR with your machine to diagnose her reenforces everything I said as being true.

It's not ad hominem, it's both relevant and true.
Well I never said I have a photographic memory. Every day we are exposed to thousands of pieces of data. We cannot remember them all. Modern life is information overload, as we all know. If I ask, it means I either forgot or honestly don't know. I would never ask about something I already know just to be annoying. For instance I would not ask "What is 2+2?" or "What is the capitol of the US?" etc. Forgive me if my memory isn't perfect.

Regardless, I'm not looking for a fight or argument or debate. I'm sorry if you don't like me, but you don't know me. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm a good guy with good vibes and am likable and honest, just so you know. Anyway I'm not here to engage in any personality conflicts. If you don't like me, feel free to ignore me and just pretend I don't exist. Not everyone here hates me for no reason like a pack of wolves I hope. ;) I would hope that there are good civilized decent folks here too. I'm sorry if sometimes I rub some of you the wrong way, but it's not intentional, so please try to forgive and forget and not take it personally. Don't sweat the small stuff as they say, and don't take life too seriously. :)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:50 am

You asked a question, I answered it honestly and told you why.

You didn't like my answer, took it personally and got offended. The only ad hominem going on here is you, attacking me. But please carry on, if it helps you.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:50 am
You asked a question, I answered it honestly and told you why.

You didn't like my answer, took it personally and got offended. The only ad hominem going on here is you, attacking me. But please carry on, if it helps you.
But you didn't just answer my question remember? You undermined my character too. Remember? See below.
Dog Slobber wrote:
Based on:
  • Your posting history
  • Lack of experience
  • Argumentative nature
Just saying that's not necessary. That's all. I'm not stupid. Just inexperienced with CPAP. That's why I ask for help.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:10 am

So this is how it would have played out, had I just answered:
you would not have accepted that answer and demanded to know why.

At which point, I would have responded:
Based on:
  • Your posting history
  • Lack of experience
  • Argumentative nature
And we'd be in the exact same place.

Cripes, re-read your own post:
I stated one of the reasons is, your lack of experience. You quoted it and stated, "I'm not stupid. Just inexperienced with CPAP."

Let that sink in for a bit.