Do Any of You Have More Than One Machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
boxofrain

Do Any of You Have More Than One Machine?

Post by boxofrain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:46 am

Hello All, I am fairly new to CPAP but have been immersing myself into this world. I REALLY appreciate this board. I was diagnosed with moderate apnea at an AHI of 27.4 and a lot of desaturations. When I first began my CPAP journey, my AHIs with my Philips Dreamstation APAP were consistently in the teens. I was very frustrated that i could not do better. But with some good tweaking of the pressures, using a nasal cushion and wearing a scc, I have now been averaging in the very low single digits. The last two nights AHI have been between 1-2. I am feeling better every day BUT my strong personality is that I can always do better. My question is someone in my area is selling a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV machine that is only four months old. I think I can pick this up for $300-400 where it would cost over $2000 new. I am seriously considering this due to the advantages of the ASV. I could use it a few nights a month and begin tweaking the settings and see how I feel until my current machine is "paid for." Even if I find I do not need it I am pretty confident I could always sell it. Spending the $300-400 will not affect my retirement LOL. What do you all think? Thanks so much!

Julie

Re: Do Any of You Have More Than One Machine?

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:04 am

A lot, if not most, of us have back-up machines, usually older ones with a limited number of run hrs on them, maybe not even Apaps (vs C's), but what you're talking about is something else... or is money burning a hole in your pocket? :D

You know, you can get all kinds of machines, etc. on Amazon, or through Secondwindcpap.com, or or or... if you want to.

boxofrain

Post by boxofrain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:07 am

LOL Julie, money is not necessarily burning a hole in my pocket but from what I have heard about ASV, I would love to try it! And for $400 it seems like a good deal. Am I way off here?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:50 am

ASV is a very specialized machine..primarily used to control Central Apnea. As a new CPAP user, you may have lots of trouble trying to use it as a CPAP.
Just the change from a Philips machine to a ResMed machine is an adjustmet for some people.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:32 am

Not as totally way off as one might think. I have done just what you are thinking about and it's doable but ASV machines aren't quite as configurable as your DreamStation APAP in some areas. So we can't quite match the settings to get you the same "feel".
Now I used one for a couple or three years. It was the S9 model or the big older brother of the AirCurve 10 ASV...I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the AirCurve 10 ASV to see any differences but from what I have heard...no real important setting differences.

We can get it close to your current settings but not exact. PS range is going to the main one we can't get close.

So I did what you are thinking about and actually liked the machine ...and I didn't use it to treat central apneas. I used it to treat my OSA since I never had a real problem with centrals but sometimes I would have a central (we all have them now and then) and I just let the machine do its thing.

It's doable what you are thinking but it will take some experimentation with the settings and ASV isn't for the faint of heart. When it makes a change....it's a quick fast change which is both good and bad depending on what a person is used to. Some people won't have a problem with that change...others might.

Depending on the number of hours on the machine...you could probably get your money back selling it here on the forum if you ended up hating it. A relatively low hour ASV is worth it's weight in gold here sometimes. High hour machine...like any others not so much.

So I did what you are thinking about just for my OSA. I will auto adjust quite nicely for obstructives. I liked it. You might and you might not. You are relatively new to cpap and the changes it will and can do might not suit you. I was an old veteran to cpap and to bilevel by the time I tried ASV. I adjust easily to anything. It's just the way I am. Some people aren't that way.

If you decide to try it...contact me and we will sort through all the settings and see how close we can get to what your apap settings are and get you in the ball park.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

boxofrain

Post by boxofrain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:38 am

Excellent!! I will keep you informed for sure. Thanks so much for the detailed response. I think you are correct though, if I hate it for 400 bucks I can always sell it! I’m pretty sure it has a very very low hours on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:32 am

I recommend having spares of everything, including the machine.
Because "Murphy" never takes a day off, but DME's do.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:33 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:32 am
I recommend having spares of everything, including the machine.
Because "Murphy" never takes a day off, but DME's do.
and rust never sleeps.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 am

boxofrain wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:38 am
Excellent!! I will keep you informed for sure. Thanks so much for the detailed response. I think you are correct though, if I hate it for 400 bucks I can always sell it! I’m pretty sure it has a very very low hours on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check the hours before purchase..here's how... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loe5BHzR4vI

boxofrain

Post by boxofrain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:45 am

Will definitely check that! Thanks!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:34 pm

My wife and I have spare machines. I purchased the first spare machine from a member of the forum. It had been purchased for his mother, but she passed before she could ever use it. Of course, it could not be returned, so they sold it here. It was shipped in the original shipping boxes from ResMed. I checked the machine when I got it, and it had zero hours on it. My wife used it for four months when she first started treatment before she got a prescription for her own machine. The first machine is not her spare machine. I purchased the second spare machine on Facebook Marketplace for $220. This machine had less than 125 hours on it when I got it. It is now my spare machine.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:29 pm

My spare is the APAP I used for 6 years before getting a new machine.

Right now it's fire season in California and I keep it in the trunk of my car in case we have to so a sudden evacuation. I'd rather have my current machine than that old thing, but if we don't have time it's there. And if we do have time, it may help someone else.

Backups are always a good idea.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:29 pm
My spare is the APAP I used for 6 years before getting a new machine.

Right now it's fire season in California and I keep it in the trunk of my car in case we have to so a sudden evacuation. I'd rather have my current machine than that old thing, but if we don't have time it's there. And if we do have time, it may help someone else.

Backups are always a good idea.
have you ran it recently, just to make sure?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

boxofrain

Post by boxofrain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Well as it turned out the person that had this for sale got real weird when she could tell that I knew what I was talking about! She said she decided to give it to her father in law. An hour earlier she told me that two others were interested and did I want it? I guess there are shady people even in the CPAP classifieds!!! Thanks all.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:18 pm

She probably figured out she priced it a bit cheap and got greedy and didn't want to honor her word.
Happens all the time. She probably got a better offer or someone bidding against each other.
Well...now you know that if you run across a similar deal locally...snatch it up fast before the person realizes what they have. :lol: :lol:
Just make sure you know your models ahead of time though. Some aren't worth it and won't do what you want them to do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.