Wiring help on Battery backup

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
remstarcpap

Wiring help on Battery backup

Post by remstarcpap » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 pm

Just bought a volt/amp meter, and want to wire it into my battery backup I built.

It is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPVKY13

I have no idea of how to hook it up. One side has a plus and minus wire and is labeled source. The other side has the same two wires, and is labeled load.

I think the red wire on the Source side connects to the red wire on the load side. Black wire the same.

So I am guessing if I want to measure load for running the cpap off the 12v battery, I would wire like this:

Battery +terminal =====> Red wire SOURCE======>METER=====>Red wire LOAD======>red wire to cigarette adapter
Battery - terminal =====> Black wire SOURCE======>METER=====>Black wire LOAD======>Black wire to cigarette adapter

Does this seem right?

If I want to measure the charging load I assume it would look like this:

CHARGER + ====>red wire SOURCE====>METER======>red wire LOAD=====>+ terminal on battery

CHARGER - ====>black wire SOURCE====>METER =====>black wire LOAD=====> - terminal on battery

One question is how to set it up so that I can actually measure both charging and discharging, or is that silly? Seems like discharging measuring would be more important, since the charge knows what it is doing.

Thanks for the help. Don't want to blow up anything!

Last edited by remstarcpap on Fri May 06, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remstarcpap

Re: Wiring help on Battery backup

Post by remstarcpap » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:34 pm

anyone?

HoseCrusher

Re: Wiring help on Battery backup

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 pm

It looks like your setup is correct. I agree that the most important measurement is during discharge. I don't believe you can use one setup to measure both charge and discharge. You have to set each one up individually.

On the other hand once you set up for discharge the charge may read as negative numbers, so it may be worth checking out.