Air leakage with nose only mask, cushions and pillows- A Solution

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Canadianguy

Air leakage with nose only mask, cushions and pillows- A Solution

Post by Canadianguy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm

I have always had a few clear airway / central apena’s, but with the slight increase RX minimum pressure from 5 cm H2O to 7 cm H2O the numbers have increased. There is also a very large increase in my leakage, some being large leakage for up to 28mins at one time. I have both the ResMed Sullivan and the Respironics Premium chinstraps. I have had some, but not great success in lowering these numbers. I have tried various methods, using a full mouth guard with the chin strap. Tightening the chin strap to the point it was not comfortable to sleep. All reduce some but not all of the numbers of leaks and apnea’s, but, still not to what I was hoping for. I saw a posting from Apneanderthal at this link, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94050&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p868549

I went to work taking measurements, making a template pattern and getting help from my wife in sewing one for me. I used this mouth/chin strap with the full mouth guard for a few hours one night, which was all I could take with the mouth guard. I continued to use the homemade mouth/chin strap, after putting it a little tighter for the remainder of the night. My sleep results on OSCAR did show quite a bit of improvement, but my ears and head were a little sore due to the tightness. I tried the homemade mouth/chin strap again for a second night alone, again a little tight on the head and ears. So I decided to work out a modification by adding a strap attached under the chin addition, this worked perfectly for me. I could loosen the strap that went around the mouth to the back of the neck and tighten the one around my chin to get the results I wanted. This homemade mouth and chin strap does the trick, no more large leaks, no more flapping lips with the pressures. The best result is last night I only had one clear away apnea on my results from OSCAR. I have added a couple of photos for those that maybe interested in viewing and or trying to make one. Another great benefit, its long lasting and you can just put it in with your regular laundry on wash day.

Thank you Apneanderthal for posting your mouth/ chin strap design, which inspiring me to make one. Then to take matters into my own hands and add a little improvement that works for me.

Canadianguy

5m2a.jpg
5m2a.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
1m2a.jpg
1m2a.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 5663 times