Problems to sleep with my Resmed N30 i mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dwunder

Problems to sleep with my Resmed N30 i mask

Post by dwunder » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Dear cpap talk members
The problem: I can't resist wearing the mask for a long period of time, let's say more than 2 hours a night. When I manage to fall asleep with it on, after hours I wake up uncomfortable and end up taking it off.
What I feel: the feeling I have with the mask is like suffocation, the inhalation process is OK but the exhalation is like "incomplete or imperfect". Complementing the above, I feel that the contact of the pillows with my nose makes me uncomfortable, is "strange", or "invasive". Both phenomena are not necessarily independent, sometimes I think that the "invasion" on my nose is what does not allow me to breathe comfortably (1).
Reviewing opinions in this blog, it occurred to me to apply three "corrective" actions. These were:
1. Set the ramp time to zero, equivalently, to disable the ramp time.
2. Increase the lower value of the pressure range recommended by my doctor (the doctor set the machine in the range of 5 cm H2O to 12 mc H2O) from 5 cm H2O to 6.0 and then to 6.8 cm H2O.
3. Activate the feature called pressure relief, the one that allows you to, supossedly, decrease the air pressure that the cpap uses when you exhale. I have this set at 3 cm H2 O (the maximum that my cpap allows).
Since I am not experiencing any changes, I have been thinking about purchasing the Dreamwisp mask (from Philips), for two reasons (this ideas are mine, I have not discussed it with anyone else, including my doctor, so I am probably wrong).
i) First, since this is a nazal mask (which covers my nose completely, unlike the N30 i, which is a pillow type), it would have less contact with the nostrils, thus avoiding what I previously called “invasion” effect.
ii) Second, because having more space available could have less problems with exhalation.
One of my doubts in relation to the first reason just mentioned is that I will probably end up exchanging one problem for another, in the sense that I will stop having the contact of the pillow with my nostrils, but now I will have the contact of the mask with the outer parts of my nose.
The other doubt, this time in relation to the second (ii)) reason mentioned above, is whether the greater space will allow me to exhale more easily; In this same blog I seem to have read that the less idle space the mask has, the less difficulties it would have to exhale. If the latter is correct, I don't see how it would improve my situation.
It is not easy to explain what you feel in these cases, because sometimes you are not clear about it yourself, I imagine that it has to happen to many people.
Could anyone help me, please.
Thank you in advance for your help.
(1) The cpap equipment I use is a Resmed Airsense 10 (autoset).

Lucyhere

Re: Problems to sleep with my Resmed N30 i mask

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:30 am

Hi DWunder... Since Zonker (a member here) is probably sleeping, I'll just go ahead and welcome you to the forum. I'm not the one to answer your questions, but I'm sure someone will be along in the morning.

In the meantime, would you please skip a line or two between paragraphs. It's really difficult to read as it is now. The majority of us are medicare age and need all the help we can get. :lol: Thanks and have a good night!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 am

I have been using the N30i and P30i masks for many months. One of the first to get one, and can tell you they are particular in how they must be worn.

I think you are wearing this mask way too tight!

When first put on, before you turn on the machine, it should feel quite loose. Once the air pressure builds it tightens slightly. The design of the pillows means all it needs is light contact with the nostril. Air pressure seals it, not just tension from the straps. This and the P10 mask are the easiest on your nose of any masks I have used. If too tight it compresses the pillows. This irritates the nostril, but most importantly can BLOCK airflow! It collapses the airway, both in the nostril part and in the base. This causes your "suffocation" feel. I know exactly what you mean. So experiment with loosening the mask. These seal well, so keep going looser till you find what works. The right size pillow is a factor too, and you may want to try a different size if you have them. But even that won't help if you are over tightening the mask!

I would also recommend trying the nasal pillows from the "P30i" mask. You don''t need to buy the whole mask, just the nasal pillow part. They interchange with each other. The P30i design eliminates the hard base touching your lip/nose that can be irritating for some.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

slowriter

Post by slowriter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:49 am

realshelby wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 am
I have been using the N30i and P30i masks for many months.
The OP is asking about the N30; not the N30i.

I think your plan of action makes sense dwunder. Give it a try and report back?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 am

slowriter wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:49 am
realshelby wrote:

The OP *is* talking about the N30i, they are just typing it with a space. "N30 i"

slowriter

Post by slowriter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:52 am

I guess I'm still confused by this in the OP then: "unlike the N30 i".

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 am

slowriter wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:52 am
I guess I'm still confused by this in the OP then: "unlike the N30 i".
It's definitely not the most readable and articulate post.

joshdog

Post by joshdog » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 am

I find that the N30i (under the nose) does not make the bridge of my nose sore like the N30. I am not sure why but most of the nasal masks settings specify the pillow setting ,not obvious in most of the instructions. But I notice when my allergies are flared up(which is most of the time) it is a little difficult to inhale. I have been starting my CPAP before connecting my air tube, which helps some. I don't think most therapists and doctors have used CPAP equipment more than for a few minutes for training. This forum is a lot of help!!!

Joshdog

dwunder

Post by dwunder » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:29 am

slowriter wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:49 am
realshelby wrote:

I will, thanks very much

dwunder

Post by dwunder » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:37 am

realshelby wrote:
I have been using the N30i and P30i masks for many months. One of the first to get one, and can tell you they are particular in how they must be worn.

I think you are wearing this mask way too tight!

When first put on, before you turn on the machine, it should feel quite loose. Once the air pressure builds it tightens slightly. The design of the pillows means all it needs is light contact with the nostril. Air pressure seals it, not just tension from the straps. This and the P10 mask are the easiest on your nose of any masks I have used. If too tight it compresses the pillows. This irritates the nostril, but most importantly can BLOCK airflow! It collapses the airway, both in the nostril part and in the base. This causes your "suffocation" feel. I know exactly what you mean. So experiment with loosening the mask. These seal well, so keep going looser till you find what works. The right size pillow is a factor too, and you may want to try a different size if you have them. But even that won't help if you are over tightening the mask!

I would also recommend trying the nasal pillows from the "P30i" mask. You don''t need to buy the whole mask, just the nasal pillow part. They interchange with each other. The P30i design eliminates the hard base touching your lip/nose that can be irritating for some.
Thanks for your advice.
I have tried different levels of "tightness", and does not make a change. I have no irritation at all. About the pillow sizes I only have 3; small, smallwide and medium. I might need a larger one but it does not come with the mask. I will look for details about the P30 i pillows, to see if it is worth to try it.