Chin collapsing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Daroxxer

Chin collapsing

Post by Daroxxer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:18 pm

I am discovering my problem with multiple masks has been that my chin collapses and kind of hands down and open. Full face masks tend to still leak.
I saw on here you can use a cervical collar and I tried that before but will try again. The issue isn’t that my mouth hangs open it’s that my chin falls and my mouth stays closed.

How can this be addressed? Thanks!!

Julie

Re: Chin collapsing

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:33 pm

Trying hard to envision what you say happens, but really having a hard time!

Is there some specific, genetic, traumatic thing you're not telling us that might explain it?

Daroxxer

Post by Daroxxer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Hold your lips together and hang your chin down while keeping your lips closed :(

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Daroxxer wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:35 pm
Hold your lips together and hang your chin down while keeping your lips closed :(
That's what he is trying to avoid

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:58 pm

I have been unable to use most full face masks, because they stop right below my lower lip,
and then my chin drops when I fall asleep--and I wake up gnawing on the bottom of the damn cushion.
A few full face masks cup below the chin--but none fit my fabulous face.

hockobo

Post by hockobo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:36 pm

The struggle is real. I have this issue as well (chin falling back, and occasionally finding my lower lip outside of the mask). I think Jason from thelankylefty27 Youtube channel describes this and recommends some possible solutions which I have tried. I could tighten the bottom straps to prevent the leaks, but as I've found, this keeps happening and eventually I have a squid on my face and is just too uncomfortably tight to use. You could try a chin strap, but this can also push your chin/lower jaw back, which we are trying to avoid. The other possible solution is a double row boil&bite mouthguard (that molds to your top and bottom teeth), which I've also tried. This works, as it keeps my bottom jaw in place while I'm wearing it, but damn it is a PITA to wear it and stop myself from messing with it; it's bothersome to know it's there, so it's hard for me to fall asleep. It does work, though, to minimize the leaks coming from the bottom corners of my dreamwear full face mask as my data from Oscar shows.

The mask is fine before I fall asleep. Once that happens, gravity takes it course and my lower jaw/chin fall back, enough to change my face's profile which was fitted to the mask beforehand so no leaks are happening. Now that my jaw is further back than when I was awake, there's the slightest space for air to leak out and fart/whistle away until I realize it's happening and I have to start over again (or throw the mask somewhere...sorry, masky! I love you but man do you take some getting used to). I have also heard that the remzzz liners or similar can help, but at this point I've spent so much on different mouthguards, chin strap, and different masks (lots of them) to get a comfortable fit with minimal leaks. Real solutions? For me to sleep upright or to get used to the mouthguard. I am also considering trying my Airtouch F20 again; I don't remember having that problem...but was just getting used to CPAP therapy at that time.

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Daroxxer wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:18 pm
I am discovering my problem with multiple masks has been that my chin collapses and kind of hands down and open. Full face masks tend to still leak.
I saw on here you can use a cervical collar and I tried that before but will try again. The issue isn’t that my mouth hangs open it’s that my chin falls and my mouth stays closed.

How can this be addressed? Thanks!!
Since your mouth stays closed, I'd suggest trying a nasal mask. I find the one that I use, the N30i, to be really comfortable. There are plenty of other types of nasal masks as well, and there are also nasal pillow masks. It would be worth checking them out. Here's a page with a lot of info..
https://www.cpap.com/find?gclid=CjwKCAj ... EEQAvD_BwE
It took me a couple of false starts before I found the right mask for me, and many people have the same experience, mainly because everyone's faces are different, so there is no one-size-fits-all mask. You'll find the right one in the end, though. :)
Best of luck.

tbeb

Post by tbeb » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:03 pm

hockobo, you said "The struggle is real. I have this issue as well (chin falling back, and occasionally finding my lower lip outside of the mask). I think Jason from thelankylefty27 Youtube channel describes this and recommends some possible solutions which I have tried. I could tighten the bottom straps to prevent the leaks, but as I've found, this keeps happening and eventually I have a squid on my face and is just too uncomfortably tight to use. You could try a chin strap, but this can also push your chin/lower jaw back, which we are trying to avoid. The other possible solution is a double row boil & bite mouthguard (that molds to your top and bottom teeth), which I've also tried. This works, as it keeps my bottom jaw in place while I'm wearing it, but damn it is a PITA to wear it and stop myself from messing with it; it's bothersome to know it's there, so it's hard for me to fall asleep. It does work, though, to minimize the leaks coming from the bottom corners of my dreamwear full face mask as my data from Oscar shows."

Century is the manufacturer of the boil and bite double mouth guard Jason demonstrated. Is that the one you tried? I use a Dreamwear FFM. Sleeping on my side is fine. When I sleep on my back , It's a different story. I think my face relaxes and my jaw drops and I get leaks.
Phillips Dreamstation with Humidifier, Phillips Dreamwear Full Face Mask

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:09 pm

tbeb wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:03 pm
hockobo, you said "The struggle is real. I have this issue as well (chin falling back, and occasionally finding my lower lip outside of the mask). I think Jason from thelankylefty27 Youtube channel describes this and recommends some possible solutions which I have tried. I could tighten the bottom straps to prevent the leaks, but as I've found, this keeps happening and eventually I have a squid on my face and is just too uncomfortably tight to use. You could try a chin strap, but this can also push your chin/lower jaw back, which we are trying to avoid. The other possible solution is a double row boil & bite mouthguard (that molds to your top and bottom teeth), which I've also tried. This works, as it keeps my bottom jaw in place while I'm wearing it, but damn it is a PITA to wear it and stop myself from messing with it; it's bothersome to know it's there, so it's hard for me to fall asleep. It does work, though, to minimize the leaks coming from the bottom corners of my dreamwear full face mask as my data from Oscar shows."

Century is the manufacturer of the boil and bite double mouth guard Jason demonstrated. Is that the one you tried? I use a Dreamwear FFM. Sleeping on my side is fine. When I sleep on my back , It's a different story. I think my face relaxes and my jaw drops and I get leaks.
hockobo hasn't been on the forum since july 30 2020.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:20 pm

Yes, that was a year ago.
How did you find this old thread?

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:38 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:20 pm
Yes, that was a year ago.
How did you find this old thread?
tbeb has been having problems with DreamWear FFM.

They were probably searching for posts related to full face mask.

BTW there has been a lot of post re FFM recently.
tbeb wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:03 pm
When I sleep on my back , It's a different story. I think my face relaxes and my jaw drops and I get leaks.
Have you tried the Falcon position?
Your face is against the mattress in this position so your chin is less likely to move.

http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html

Example of someone adding pillows to accommodate their mask.
https://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 63#p387587
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode