Dry Mouth Gone!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SMenasco

Dry Mouth Gone!

Post by SMenasco » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:23 pm

I am not a mouth breather. However, for years I have suffered with dry mouth. I've tried all kinds of masks trying to solve my uncomfortable problem; several different types of ResMed, F&P, both partial and full face. Most recently, I obtained a Dreamwear full face, which was much better, but still had dry mouth. Nothing works. (Plus the fact that I just can't stand the hot exhaled air when using a full face.) When I fall asleep, my throat muscles relax and air going in my nose recirculates and comes OUT my mouth, not in huge amounts, just enough to dry it completely out in about two hours. I tried taping for a couple of years and it worked, but was a complete hassel, and I still "purculated" even with tape. I even had arguments on this site about the dangers of taping. I ultimately went back to my old standby mask, Mirage Swift II nasal pillows, which I've used for at least 15 years. I've been told that increased humidity would solve this; nope. I have my humidifier set on 4 (ResMed S10) and it evaporates almost a full tank every night. My wife suggested I try some mouth gel. I finally gave in and tried her Biotene Dry Mouth gel. The stuff works!!!!!! I no longer wake up every two hours with what feels like cracked mouth. Occasionally if I have to get up to pee around 4am and I'll reload the Biotene. Incidentally, I still have to wear my Ruby Red chin strap under my Swift II to keep my lips together. The recirculated air still exits my mouth but the Biotene keeps it from drying out. I'm happy this painful dryness is gone and thought I'd pass this on for anyone else suffering with this. Thanks!.