Getting frustrated over cheek air burps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
2kittymom

Getting frustrated over cheek air burps

Post by 2kittymom » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:09 pm

I was a star cpap user until recently. i use the Resmed My Air app, and nearly always had a near perfect score each night. Recently that has changed, and i honestly don’t know what to do. I had a tonsil removed on my left side in October. I’ve since lost over over 50 pounds due to brutal recovery and other things going on in my body. Lately I’ve found that i can sleep on my left side just fine, with no leaks. However, when i turn over and try to sleep on my right side, my left cheek fills with air and it burps out of my mouth. Very annoying. I know my tongue was injured in the surgery, and is crooked. I’ve read previous posts, which are many years old of some people having this problem. A lot of people recommended wearing a chin strap, but it didn’t help. Furthermore, if the air fills up in the cheek, it has to exit the mouth. Anyone have this problem and found a solution? Thought I’d ask here before contacting my CPAP clinic. Thanks.

rcobourn

Re: Getting frustrated over cheek air burps

Post by rcobourn » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:05 pm

If possible, use a body pillow or better yet a wedge pillow behind your back to prevent yourself from turning over. It's a struggle for me to not sleep on my messed up left shoulder... this sometimes works but I practically have to knock myself out with drugs to stop from pulling the pillow out and rolling over.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:19 am

Do a forum search for Chipmonk Cheeks = it's a known 'thing'.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:44 am

2kittymom wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Anyone have this problem and found a solution? Thought I’d ask here before contacting my CPAP clinic. Thanks.
from forum member jay aitchsee-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

i've used this in conjunction with a firm foam cervical collar. works very well for me. it may work for you.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:27 am

For me, the best solution to chipmunk cheeks, mask torque and gear slippage is the papcap. I've used it with a number of full face masks. Maybe this is a solution for you too!

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris