Airfit F30i Users - Longevity

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SyCoREAPER

Airfit F30i Users - Longevity

Post by SyCoREAPER » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:38 am

Hello fellow F30i Users,
I tried doing a quick search and maybe I wasn't using the right keyword but found nothing.

How long does your mask/cushion typically last? I've only had mine for 2 weeks and it is starting to leak already. Is this typical for this mask?

If so, this is going to be an expensive venture.

Becca8104

Re: Airfit F30i Users - Longevity

Post by Becca8104 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:49 am

I am not having any leaking issues with mine. I am on my second mask, but only by choice. I like refreshing every 3 months. The original mask is over 6 months & it never leaked. Have had my new mask about a week. so far so good.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:10 am

What is your cleaning routine for the mask?
Do you have fairly oily skin?

Cushion life is just another one of those cpap things that comes with a big YMMV sticker.
I could get months and months out of a nasal pillow and I have a friend who was doing good to get 2 weeks out of her nasal pillow and she wasn't abusing it with harsh cleaning either.

Do you have insurance to help you out? How much do you have to pay for a cushion?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SyCoREAPER

Post by SyCoREAPER » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:21 am

From the get go I went non-insurance route because I wanted to own my machine.

As far as cleaning and my skin.

My skin can be oily, but I wash my face before going to bed.

For the mask, I have not yet soap washed it but every morning wipe it down good with CPAP wipes.

Is there a way to "rejuvenate" with heat or cold or once it's weakened it's weakened.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:34 am

You might add in a good weekly washing with soap and hot water to your routine. This will help remove facial oils that get absorbed that the wipes simply can't remove.

And yes there is a way to perhaps rejuvenate nasal pillows but I don't recommend it except as a last ditch effort to get some extra life.
Make sure you have a replacement handy in case something goes wrong. This is for the nasal pillows that were destined for the trash can anyway. Link may take you mid page...scroll back up to the top and start reading.
viewtopic/t75749/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74 ... il#p685240
The image links are broken but this boiling method transformed cloudy ugly cushions to looking and feeling and acting like brand new.

Use distilled water for boiling and rinsing though....I tried this with my nasal pillows first with tap water and it ended up really cloudy but when I used distilled water for both boiling and rinsing...worked very nicely. If your tap water has a high mineral content this method will deposit a lot of minerals on the silicone and you won't like the results. Now if you already filter your water or it doesn't have a lot of mineral content...might work well. I happen to be on a well and in my area we have really hard water.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SyCoREAPER

Post by SyCoREAPER » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks

I'll try boiling, I have extras and nothing to lose on this cushion. The chin/lower lip is floppy and so is the nose channel while the side walls are still pretty rigid.

SyCoREAPER

Post by SyCoREAPER » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 am

I've tried the boiling method but did do things a little different.

Firstly in wake of the pandemic and the difficulty in getting distilled water, I would use tap next time, I see no harm in that since it's boiling anyway.

I did not use baking soda as I believe this would only clear any fog, so mainly cosmetic, but that's what I think, don't know for sure. (Also mainly because I didn't have any)

I gently pushed the mask (silicone facing down/toward bottom of pot) in the boiling water and held it there for 4 minutes. After that I immediately held it under cold water for 1 minute.

For those wondering, For me, I'm not sure if it was worth it. It doesn't seem to have made a whole lot of difference. We will see how it goes tonight.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 am

I haven't boiled anything in a long time but if my memory serves me right the baking soda removes the oil from the cushion and improves the looks.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 am

The baking soda helps remove embedded facial oils...it acts like a degreaser.

A good hot water wash with Dawn is also good for degreasing. Those little wipes are good for superficial oils up to a point but the facial oils do sort of sink into the silicone and that's why we do a more in depth cleaning with soap and water every so often.

SyCoREAPER

Post by SyCoREAPER » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:29 am

Yea I was planning on doing it every 2 weeks (just got some proper soap) today, marking 2 weeks but may have to go to weekly or even twice a week.

SyCoREAPER

Post by SyCoREAPER » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Just an update, I've had no leaks since my last post.

I've been washing my face every night with Neutrogena face bar and washing my cushion every night in hot water and Purdoux soap. I am also taking some A and B Vitamin supplements that are supposed to reduce oil production from pores. Lastly I am wearing my mask, specifically the strap, differently from how you are 'supposed' to wear it. I pull the strap up higher on the back of my head, almost towards the top, this keeps the bottom of the mask tight to my face.

Oh and I'm still on my original cushion, I have a lifetimes supply of cushions since I panic purchased a bunch in the beginning when they were buy one get one.

ANYWAY

This has brought me back to the longevity question. Should I continue using a toothbrush to lightly scrub the silicone or am I wearing it out prematurely or is a soak in hot soapy water is enough?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:30 pm

I have never used a tooth brush on our mask cushions. We get at least a full year with a cushion and usually end up changing them once a year even though they are still usable. After a year, mine is usually stained from my facial oil even though I scrub my face every night just before going to bed. The cushion on my wife's mask has never stained and looks like new. The cushion has been on the mask since last September. I wash the masks once a week using dish soap.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

SyCoREAPER

Post by SyCoREAPER » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:55 pm

Just wanted to post a final update along with a tip.

It seems that my cushion outlasted the rubber head strap/tube that it connects to. I feel like it was designed to start breaking from multiple clips and unclips but I won't get into that. I am pleased with the longevity and also bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Probably not needed but makes me feel better.

As a small on-topic/off-topic tip, I found the breathing a bit odd at first and found out that the piece of rubber in-between the two nose holes was often covering my nostril. So I cut it out, let me tell you, breathing feels much more natural now.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:31 pm

SyCoREAPER wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:55 pm
As a small on-topic/off-topic tip, I found the breathing a bit odd at first and found out that the piece of rubber in-between the two nose holes was often covering my nostril. So I cut it out, let me tell you, breathing feels much more natural now.
Thanks for the tip. I may give that a try. :D

JPB

captain556

Post by captain556 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm

SyCoREAPER wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:55 pm
Just wanted to post a final update along with a tip.

It seems that my cushion outlasted the rubber head strap/tube that it connects to. I feel like it was designed to start breaking from multiple clips and unclips but I won't get into that. I am pleased with the longevity and also bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Probably not needed but makes me feel better.

Pics post cut out?