Sleep study, sleep apnea and CPAP question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Delian

Sleep study, sleep apnea and CPAP question

Post by Delian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:05 pm

I see many people here are using a CPAP for sleep apnea.
They did they a sleep study on me some time ago for this. The pressure was so high I could hardly breathe out to get new breath of air. I hardly slept. After two nights of that, apparently I had slept enough for the RT to diagnose sleep apnea. The RT wanted to go a third night with the study to confirm it, but I was so exhausted from not sleeping that I refused.

Seems my lungs have hurt since then.

My question is, is that high pressure typical during sleep study? I need to have a CPAP but don't want to go through the hell of a sleep study like that again. Please share experiences with sleep studies for apnea.

Oh, what if the power goes off for a long period of time, will the CPAP user be able to sleep without stopping breathing?

Thanks In Advance!

LSAT

Re: Sleep study, sleep apnea and CPAP question

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm

It may feel high but actually after you have used it a few times you will barely notice it. Often I need to put my hand in front of the exhaust on my mask to see if the machine is running. My average pressure is about 13. You need a positive attitude to make it work. What were the results of the study? AHI? Recommended pressure? If the power goes off while using the mask/machine you will stop breathing just as you are right now. The CPAP treats..it does not cure.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Sleep studies are notorious for scaring people off treatment. It's not likely your home experience will be that hard over the long term. Yes there will be an adjustment phase but once you get your settings dialed in and the sensations aren't so new you'll be surprised how things become less of an issue. Most machines have a setting for exhalation relief that can help you if you feel you need a little less pressure on exhale. Sorry to hear you've gotten off to a rough start but that is not a clear indicator of your ability to successfully use this treatment.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 pm

Delian wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:05 pm
Oh, what if the power goes off for a long period of time, will the CPAP user be able to sleep without stopping breathing?
No. (See LSAT's comments.)

If you are in an area that experiences frequent power failures, you may want to get a backup battery system. Forum members can offer advice on what to procure if you want a backup system.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Brutal sleep studies really tick me off. What a horrible way to introduce someone to therapy for their apnea! The other forum members are right: you will find it easier once you have a machine to use at home. We will be happy to help you with advice about how to ease into the new experience and get comfortable with it. Onward!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:10 am

I am confused by the description of your sleep study. It sounds like a titration, not a diagnosis.

Did they did part of a night or a whole night withOUT the cpap, to see what your sleep is like normally? That should have been done before using the cpap. And then, they should be starting off with it low, and slowing raising it as needed during the night. I never even knew it had gone up as it was comfortable.

Can you tell us a little more about what was done each night?

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:02 pm

At first you are getting used to breathing out against more pressure than you are used to. That can make your muscles a little sore until you get used to it. Machines have pressure relief that helps but some of it is just an adjustment.
Oh, what if the power goes off for a long period of time, will the CPAP user be able to sleep without stopping breathing
The CPAP doesn't work without power (I have a battery backup) so if you already stop breathing without CPAP you'll be back to that. But I think what you are really asking is if you can suffocate in the mask, and the answer is no. Full face masks have anti-asphyxiation valves that will automatically let air come in the mask if the pressure isn't flowing (if you have a FF mask you can look for that valve and get to know how it works). If you are wearing a mask over the nose but not the mouth, you just have to open your mouth.

After you get used to breathing all night long, I guarantee you will wake up immediately if the electricity goes off!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:54 am

About power outages: because I use tape on my mouth at night, I put a little alarm in a plug on the circuit the machine uses. It has an alarm-clock sound that goes off when the power cuts out.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:54 am
About power outages: because I use tape on my mouth at night, I put a little alarm in a plug on the circuit the machine uses. It has an alarm-clock sound that goes off when the power cuts out.
I use one also. Similar to this - https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Control ... B018A30T8Q