New Airsense 10 for Her - plastic stinks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AMK

New Airsense 10 for Her - plastic stinks

Post by AMK » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am

It's been 5 years so my insurance paid for a new Airsense 10 for Her. I got it yesterday. I noticed some small changes. When I went to bed I noticed the plastic stink right away, but figured it was just "new machine" odor. But I was up at 3AM swapping out the humidifier for my old one, and then 7AM swapping out the hose. The smell is still in my nose. I can smell it on the soft plastic parts of the humidifier chamber and hose. It's kind of sickening. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I am familiar with overseas products that have bad smells, but I never thought something like this would have that.

zonker

Re: New Airsense 10 for Her - plastic stinks

Post by zonker » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:16 pm

AMK wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am
It's been 5 years so my insurance paid for a new Airsense 10 for Her. I got it yesterday. I noticed some small changes. When I went to bed I noticed the plastic stink right away, but figured it was just "new machine" odor. But I was up at 3AM swapping out the humidifier for my old one, and then 7AM swapping out the hose. The smell is still in my nose. I can smell it on the soft plastic parts of the humidifier chamber and hose. It's kind of sickening. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I am familiar with overseas products that have bad smells, but I never thought something like this would have that.
sorry to here this. and no, same machine but didn't have that smell.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:17 pm

AMK wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am
got it yesterday. . . . When I went to bed I noticed the plastic stink right away . . .
Maybe a dumb question on my part, but does cleaning it help any?:
ResMed dudes wrote:1. Wash the humidifier and air tubing in warm water using mild detergent. . . . The humidifier may be washed in a dishwasher on the delicate or glassware cycle (top shelf only).--https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... r1_eng.pdf
That way you can smell the detergent more than the plastic, maybe?

The brain notices differences. It may be interpreting the new smell in an unpleasant way until it gets used to the absence of how the old machine smelled but that the brain had learned to tune out for years. In other words, the absence of an old familiar smell often gets perceived as the introduction of a new smell. At least for me.

Just ideas. I'm no expert on it.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Mine only stinks if the humidifier runs dry.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

AMK

Post by AMK » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:28 pm

I just don't remember having to acclimate to an odor with the original machine at all. There was nothing to get used to. Just air. I guess I'll find out tonight if swapping out the hose and humidifier is enough, and I'll try washing the hell out of the new ones. Luckily if I stick my nose in the cavity where the humidifier sits, I don't smell anything bad inside the machine itself, so fingers crossed. I can make the old hose and humidifier last forever if necessary.