Getting used to cpap nasal mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carlarenee1956

Getting used to cpap nasal mask

Post by carlarenee1956 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:26 pm

Hello i have had my CPAP nasal mask for 11 days now and still not able to sleep with it on but I’ve managed to lay in bed for a full two hours with it still running before I couldn’t do that this doesn’t mean I’m a failure does it? Is everyone different on the amount of time it took to adjust to the CPAP? I’ve been wearing the CPAP around five hours a day which is a vast improvement from before

jimbud

Re: Getting used to cpap nasal mask

Post by jimbud » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:51 pm

carlarenee1956 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:26 pm
Hello i have had my CPAP nasal mask for 11 days now and still not able to sleep with it on but I’ve managed to lay in bed for a full two hours with it still running before I couldn’t do that this doesn’t mean I’m a failure does it? Is everyone different on the amount of time it took to adjust to the CPAP? I’ve been wearing the CPAP around five hours a day which is a vast improvement from before
by carlarenee1956 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:41 pm
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178375&p=1340252#p1340252

You posted this thread and did not answer any questions or give us any more information.
How can anyone help you if you will not participate?

JPB

carlarenee1956

Post by carlarenee1956 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm

I’m sorry I guess I overlooked that question I first tried a nasal pillow mask I was diagnosed last month with C with sleep apnea the nasal mask irritated my nostrils so that didn’t work currently I am on and using nasal mask it’s a very slow process getting used to it mostly it has to do with the air blowing in My nostrils. I have been on the nasal mask for about 11 days now I have been able to sleep with it yet a lot of it has to do with my insomnia which I take sleeping medicine but getting used to the mask on top of the insomnia is challenging g. Any suggestions or tips on how long it takes to be able to sleep all nite with mask on? Thank you

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:17 pm

carlarenee1956 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm
I’m sorry I guess I overlooked that question I first tried a nasal pillow mask I was diagnosed last month with C with sleep apnea the nasal mask irritated my nostrils so that didn’t work currently I am on and using nasal mask it’s a very slow process getting used to it mostly it has to do with the air blowing in My nostrils. I have been on the nasal mask for about 11 days now I have been able to sleep with it yet a lot of it has to do with my insomnia which I take sleeping medicine but getting used to the mask on top of the insomnia is challenging g. Any suggestions or tips on how long it takes to be able to sleep all nite with mask on? Thank you
This lady has some ideas.

by kteague » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:24 pm

First step to getting used to treatment is optimizing settings, as has already been mentioned. After that it's comfort and familiarity. Everyone is different, but I found that neither classical, nor instrumental of any genre, nor nature sounds helped my mind go to sleep. They simply left too much space for my mind to eagerly fill with thoughts. I found that smooth listening oldies at a volume loud enough to make out the words but not loud enough to force me to listen worked best. Finding this balance gave my brain a little something to process but since the lyrics are familiar, I don't need to pay attention. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Also, it helped me when I reframed my view of the machine. I began to see it like a security blanket, relaxing in the knowledge I would not wake up choking, heart racing, trying to catch my breath. I began to welcome it rather than resent it. New sensations can be a terrible deterrent to sleep, and even more so for those with highly sensitive nervous systems or with anxiety. Do the things you can to make it a more pleasant experience, whether that might be a soft mask liner, mask straps, a luxurious pillowcase that gets used only with CPAP... you get the idea. I love using pleasant essential oils on a cotton pad placed behind the air intake on the back of the machine. Find some combination of pleasantries that makes the experience more desired than dreaded.

There are others on here with more techniques.
I am sure they will drop by and share their wisdom with you when they get a chance. :D

JPB

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:48 pm

carlarenee1956 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm
I first tried a nasal pillow mask I was diagnosed last month with sleep apnea the nasal mask irritated my nostrils so that didn’t work currently.
As far as nostril irritation you can use Lansinoh lanolin cream. It is safe and works very well. (nursing mothers use it)
Put it on before wearing your mask and after you take it off. A little goes a long way.

Nasal irritation takes a while to deal with. You will have to be patient.

This whole experience with CPAP therapy takes time. Few people take to it like a duck to water.
You can do it.
Many before you have.

This thread is yours. Come back here with your questions. We are here to help.

Please fill out your profile:

Machine.
Mask.

Information helps us help you. :D

Good luck.

JPB