Best mask/headgear for fine hair?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CpapUser100

Best mask/headgear for fine hair?

Post by CpapUser100 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:57 pm

I have been using the Pilario Q mask with the single strap headgear for years. I tuck it behind my hair and it's ok, but it does stretch out pretty quickly. I can't use the other headgear that it comes with because it just slides around on my fine hair.

I have been wanting to try something different like the P10 but I am worried that the headgear might not stay put.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just discovered the Swift FX with Bella Loops. Does anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if it needs to be tight to not move around and how that feels behind the ears.

I don't think the Bleep would work for me for a couple of reasons including sometimes having bad reactions to adhesive.

CpapUser100

Re: Best mask/headgear for fine hair?

Post by CpapUser100 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:08 am

I should add that I would have get the N30 but my HMO limits me to one Home Health Provider by my HMO and they don't have the N30. I am so used to the Pilario Q which barely sits in the nostrils and is so comfortable and I am not sure how I would like the feel of the P10 in my nostrils. I have seen posts here where people complain about getting a sore nose from the P10.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:24 am

Many people here like the new Bleep DreamPort. It is not a mask in the traditional sense but it taped to the nose. There is an ongoing expense for the tape supplies that should be covered by insurance.
There is a long review thread here started by Pugsy.

viewtopic/t174807/BleepDreamPort-nasal- ... hread.html

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:06 am

CpapUser100 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:08 am
I should add that I would have get the N30 but my HMO limits me to one Home Health Provider by my HMO and they don't have the N30. I am so used to the Pilario Q which barely sits in the nostrils and is so comfortable and I am not sure how I would like the feel of the P10 in my nostrils. I have seen posts here where people complain about getting a sore nose from the P10.
One suggestion would be the ResMed P30i. This and the ResMed N30i have the same headgear but the nose piece is interchangeable. That way you could try two different masks if needed at a cost of only the nose piece. Been out long enough that they should be available. These are the top hose type. The headgear stays in place very well. Both have quiet venting and wide dispersion so you don't feel the venting around your face or hear it.

The P10 is a really good mask. The headgear works better than you might think, but you have to learn that and it does stretch over time. If you are on the small side, it needs clips to take up slack. The P30i I mentioned above is very similar in how the nose piece looks and fits. I have found all of these to be easier on the nostrils than most any other nasal mask.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:59 am

CpapUser100 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:57 pm
I have been using the Pilario Q mask with the single strap headgear for years. I tuck it behind my hair and it's ok, but it does stretch out pretty quickly. I can't use the other headgear that it comes with because it just slides around on my fine hair.

I have been wanting to try something different like the P10 but I am worried that the headgear might not stay put.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just discovered the Swift FX with Bella Loops. Does anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if it needs to be tight to not move around and how that feels behind the ears.

I don't think the Bleep would work for me for a couple of reasons including sometimes having bad reactions to adhesive.
The Pilairo Q is my backup mask. I like the single strap. For some reason, it seems to work better for me than most others. I have problems with slipping on my fine hair as well. Personally, I did not find the P10 worked for me. I tried it 3 different times, between other masks, at my husband's insistence. It is his favorite mask and I had a LOT of trouble finding a mask I could use.

The Bleep is my mask of choice now. I also have had some issues in the past with adhesive, but have had absolutely no problems with the Bleep. Well, except for a bit of residue remaining in the morning. But no itching, rash, or redness which happens with bandaids, tape, etc.

IF you would like to try for sensitivity with the adhesive, I have "samples" I could send you. I cut off a portion of the tape for better fit and have quite a collection. Just PM me if you are interested.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:29 am

CpapUser100 wrote:
I just discovered the Swift FX with Bella Loops. Does anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if it needs to be tight to not move around and how that feels behind the
I actually used the Bella Loops for quite a while when they first came out.
We've got a lengthy review thread here somewhere. I even used the Loops with the Nano cushion just to see if it would work out and it did just fine.

The loops do have to be snug but they don't have to be painfully tight at all to stay in place and seal. Teeny tiny adjustments are needed sometimes.

You do need a good groove between the ear and the skull for the loops to rest. Some people don't have much of a groove and the loops won't stay in place very well if there isn't much of a little groove.

Now the Swift FX is going to be a bit noisier in terms of vent noise than the P10. It doesn't have the diffused venting that the P10 has but it was never horribly noisy for me.
My progression over the past years as new nasal pillow masks were released...
Started my cpap therapy with the Swift LT...then changed to the Swift FX when it was released....tried the Bella Loops when it was released and used it a lot......then I used the TapPap nasal pillow mouth guard no headgear mask for about a year.....then the P10 was released and I gave it a try as that silent venting was really sweet and the first of its kind..... and now the Bleep.
I have always hated headgear.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:03 pm

CpapUser100 wrote:
the p10 is a good mask overall, in my opinion. those sore nostrils can be overcome by using lansinoh, which is lanolin cream used by nursing mothers for sore nipples. really works on the nose as well.

the headgear does stretch out but i've found a cycle through the washer/dryer tightens it up. at least temporarily.

i was wondering, have you considered a hairband to over your current straps to help keep it hugged to your skull?

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm

zonker wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:03 pm
CpapUser100 wrote:
the p10 is a good mask overall, in my opinion. those sore nostrils can be overcome by using lansinoh, which is lanolin cream used by nursing mothers for sore nipples. really works on the nose as well.

the headgear does stretch out but i've found a cycle through the washer/dryer tightens it up. at least temporarily.

i was wondering, have you considered a hairband to over your current straps to help keep it hugged to your skull?

good luck!
In my experience the cream helps but the soreness subsides with time.
I just periodically wash the headgear, let it soak in water for 5 minutes, and then let it dry. I have had my headgear last about 2 years before needing replacement.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 pm

I have fine hair but I have a lot of it. I keep it relatively short. I find that my hair tangles in the swivels of the masks that the hose comes off the top of the head. I prefer the front hose of N20. I wish they would come out with a diffused vent for it. :lol: I may try the N30 the next time I am eligible for a new mask.

CpapUser100

Post by CpapUser100 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:29 am
CpapUser100 wrote:
I just discovered the Swift FX with Bella Loops. Does anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if it needs to be tight to not move around and how that feels behind the
I actually used the Bella Loops for quite a while when they first came out.
We've got a lengthy review thread here somewhere. I even used the Loops with the Nano cushion just to see if it would work out and it did just fine.

The loops do have to be snug but they don't have to be painfully tight at all to stay in place and seal. Teeny tiny adjustments are needed sometimes.

You do need a good groove between the ear and the skull for the loops to rest. Some people don't have much of a groove and the loops won't stay in place very well if there isn't much of a little groove.

Now the Swift FX is going to be a bit noisier in terms of vent noise than the P10. It doesn't have the diffused venting that the P10 has but it was never horribly noisy for me.
My progression over the past years as new nasal pillow masks were released...
Started my cpap therapy with the Swift LT...then changed to the Swift FX when it was released....tried the Bella Loops when it was released and used it a lot......then I used the TapPap nasal pillow mouth guard no headgear mask for about a year.....then the P10 was released and I gave it a try as that silent venting was really sweet and the first of its kind..... and now the Bleep.
I have always hated headgear.
Could you clarify what you mean by a groove between the ear and skull? Do you mean the width of the area between them or the height? My ears stick up pretty far from where they attach to my head but the width of the space between my ears and head is very narrow. I am not sure if the loops might be too wide to fit comfortably.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 pm

CpapUser100 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:12 pm
Could you clarify what you mean by a groove between the ear and skull? Do you mean the width of the area between them or the height?
Height mainly. The Loops are tiny and very flexible. The Loops have to be able to rest in place and if the area between the skull and top of ears is more flat without much of a groove the loops will want to slide off.
Sounds like you wouldn't have that sort of problem. There were some pictures at one time but I can't find them now that showed examples of ears that would work and wouldn't work but ResMed seems to have moved them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:57 am

I was not able to use the Bella loops because the backs of my ears are unusually sensitive.
I suspect the reason to be that my first glasses (age 10) were adjusted too tight,
causing ulcers. Apparently, there was nerve damage . . . :shock:
(My folks felt bad that they failed to catch it.)