Newbie seeking opinions on AirMini vs. DreamStation Go

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HickorySmoke

Newbie seeking opinions on AirMini vs. DreamStation Go

Post by HickorySmoke » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Hello all, I'm new to the CPAP life (about 30 days now) and this board has been really helpful for adjusting to my new sleeping conditions. Now on to the purpose of my message:

I recently purchased the AirMini and am using it with the Airtouch F20 (which is my usual mask I use). I have used it over four nights and have found that I have gradually gotten used to the venting noise. I do, however wear earplugs when I sleep.

I've read through as many posts as I could find on travel CPAPs on here and like most that have used the AirMini I love the portability but don't like (1) the noise from the hose/mask/machine/whatever (2) the lack of a humidifier (there isn't one for the F20) and (3) the proprietary hose (and the fact it isn't heated). The last two are nice to haves...they aren't necessarily deal breakers. The noise is what concerns me as I have not tried this out with my girlfriend yet and she is pretty sensitive to noise despite wearing earplugs too.

What I haven't been able to find many opinions on is the Philips DreamStation Go. I've tried to read as many reviews as I could find on it but I can't get a warm fuzzy feeling that it will be any quieter as several reviews complain about the noise as well. Has anyone switched from the AirMini to the Dreamstation Go? What is your opinion on the change/difference in noise? If the Go has noise, where is it coming from...the motor, the mask, the hose? How does the noise compare to the Airmini?

I purchased the AirMini from another website that has a 30 day return policy and the Go just went on sale at CPAP.com so if I'm going to make a change I need to do it soon.

Any input/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Pugsy

Re: Newbie seeking opinions on AirMini vs. DreamStation Go

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:39 pm

No experience with either so not a lot of experienced help.

BUT....the DreamStation Go now has a humidifier attachment and historically adding a humidifier to any machine decreases any machine noise because it acts like a muffler.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

HickorySmoke

Post by HickorySmoke » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:39 pm
No experience with either so not a lot of experienced help.

BUT....the DreamStation Go now has a humidifier attachment and historically adding a humidifier to any machine decreases any machine noise because it acts like a muffler.
Thanks - I hadn't thought of that. I now recall someone mentioning that in a review that they were hopeful the addition of the new humidifier would help with the noise.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:30 pm

The Dreamstation Go is not as quiet as a regular Dreamstation or Resmed Air*. However, it's more of a white/pink noise sound compared to the slightly wheezy character of even a properly functioning, quiet Resmed Air*. To me, it sounds kind of like wind outside the window on a blustery night. I can't compare it to the AirMini though. The noise is coming from the fan. It helps a little to point the air inlet away from you. It helps more to put the machine below the level of the bed (on the floor or a chair).

You can use either the proprietary 12mm hose, or a standard 15mm slimline hose. However, if you are not using the humidifier, the rubber cuff on a Resmed Slimline hose is slightly too large to fit into the recess. Respironics hoses fit fine of course. For all of those, the mask end is a standard 22mm rubber cuff that will fit any normal mask.

I do prefer the Resmed version of pressure relief over the Dreamstation Flex. Now that I'm using a Vauto (bilevel), I plan to take it on a trip this weekend instead of the Go just because of the difference in therapy.

Legrunt

Post by Legrunt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:51 pm

I used an Airmini for almost a year before undergoing a tonsillectomy (yes, at 47)
After the procedure, it was unbearably dry. So I started looking for a travel unit with a humidifier. So I changed over to the DS Go.

The noise is MUCH less than the airmini. Most of the noise seems to come out the intake port, but its a soft whooshy windy noise, not like the turbo whine of the airmini.
I find it non intrusive, but if it is still an issue, just angling it away, or keeping in below the bed (on the floor perhaps?) should make it even quieter.

Any other comparisons you wanna know about, do ask away and I'll be glad to answer.

Additional Comments: Uses a Dreamwear hybrid full face mask for travel as it packs a lot flatter than the F20. But it's a little noisier.
Derek

SleepyPaolo

Post by SleepyPaolo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:33 pm

I use the Dreamstation Go with humidifier. My CPAP trial was with a regular Dreamstation and to me the sound level of the Go is similar.
On my bedside locker it's quieter than the mask venting sound.
I don't use Flex anymore so I get a constant white type noise which is quite soothing.

Can't comment on the Resmed unit as I've never used it.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:12 pm

I have a Dreamstation GO. I can compare it to the Resmed Airsense 10. It is more noisy than the Resmed Airsense 10. But the excess noise is what I hear when I inhale and exhale using the GO. It is not the nose the machine is making, it is the sound of my own breathing. It is not a whining or annoying sound, it is more comforting white noise. I don't think it would disturb your partner, my husband doesn't notice it.

HickorySmoke

Post by HickorySmoke » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:39 pm

ragtopcircus wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:30 pm
The Dreamstation Go is not as quiet as a regular Dreamstation or Resmed Air*. However, it's more of a white/pink noise sound compared to the slightly wheezy character of even a properly functioning, quiet Resmed Air*. To me, it sounds kind of like wind outside the window on a blustery night. I can't compare it to the AirMini though. The noise is coming from the fan. It helps a little to point the air inlet away from you. It helps more to put the machine below the level of the bed (on the floor or a chair).

You can use either the proprietary 12mm hose, or a standard 15mm slimline hose. However, if you are not using the humidifier, the rubber cuff on a Resmed Slimline hose is slightly too large to fit into the recess. Respironics hoses fit fine of course. For all of those, the mask end is a standard 22mm rubber cuff that will fit any normal mask.

I do prefer the Resmed version of pressure relief over the Dreamstation Flex. Now that I'm using a Vauto (bilevel), I plan to take it on a trip this weekend instead of the Go just because of the difference in therapy.
Thanks for the reply - something else for me to consider that I hadn’t thought of. Because I use the Resmed Airsense as my day to day home machine, the AirMini might be better since it theoretically will be more similar in operation (e.g. responsiveness to events, pressure relief, etc).

HickorySmoke

Post by HickorySmoke » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:42 pm

Legrunt wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:51 pm
I used an Airmini for almost a year before undergoing a tonsillectomy (yes, at 47)
After the procedure, it was unbearably dry. So I started looking for a travel unit with a humidifier. So I changed over to the DS Go.

The noise is MUCH less than the airmini. Most of the noise seems to come out the intake port, but its a soft whooshy windy noise, not like the turbo whine of the airmini.
I find it non intrusive, but if it is still an issue, just angling it away, or keeping in below the bed (on the floor perhaps?) should make it even quieter.

Any other comparisons you wanna know about, do ask away and I'll be glad to answer.
Thanks, that’s comforting to hear about the noise. If the noise is coming from the intake then perhaps just using the humidifier attachment will cut down on the noise to the extent that there really is any. A whooshy noise doesn’t sound as bad to me as the hissing noise I detect when inhaling with the AirMini without my earplugs in.

HickorySmoke

Post by HickorySmoke » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:49 pm

SleepyPaolo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:33 pm
I use the Dreamstation Go with humidifier. My CPAP trial was with a regular Dreamstation and to me the sound level of the Go is similar.
On my bedside locker it's quieter than the mask venting sound.
I don't use Flex anymore so I get a constant white type noise which is quite soothing.

Can't comment on the Resmed unit as I've never used it.
Thanks - a constant white noise is ok with me and will be ok with the GF

HickorySmoke

Post by HickorySmoke » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:12 pm
I have a Dreamstation GO. I can compare it to the Resmed Airsense 10. It is more noisy than the Resmed Airsense 10. But the excess noise is what I hear when I inhale and exhale using the GO. It is not the nose the machine is making, it is the sound of my own breathing. It is not a whining or annoying sound, it is more comforting white noise. I don't think it would disturb your partner, my husband doesn't notice it.
Thanks - do you notice much of a difference between the performance of the Go and the Airsense 10? That is, the responsiveness to events or pressure relief?

SleepyPaolo

Post by SleepyPaolo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53 pm

HickorySmoke wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:51 pm
Cardsfan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:12 pm
Thanks - do you notice much of a difference between the performance of the Go and the Airsense 10? That is, the responsiveness to events or pressure relief?
The Go is using the Dreamstation algorithm which is slower to react than Resmed. You typically need a higher minimum pressure. It's pressure relief is also very different.

I've also read somewhere that the travel CPAPs (Go Airmini) do not perform well with leaks when the pressure is over 10cmH2O. The non travel machines are well able to compensate right up to 20cmH2O but the travel struggle after 10, meaning you don't get the right treatment.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:08 pm

I had a very easy time adjusting from the Resmed Airense 10 to the Dreamsttion GO. I did not notice any difference at all between the 2, except the noise level, which was hardly noticeable after 5 minutes. My pressure is set to auto, 10-14 and both machines give me similar results. I do not use exhale pressure relief, so can't comment on that.

Mr Nosey

Post by Mr Nosey » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:09 pm

HickorySmoke,

Am reading your thread with interest. I also could not tolerate the Resmed Mini noise, even when using earplugs. What I've gleaned from net discussions is that the Go is as noisy as the Mini, but the sound is different...more Darth Vader breathing (Mini) vs. white noise (Go). Don't know if to be optimistic that the Go has potential. Overall, I'm quite bummed the Mini did not work for me (nor the Z1 or first gen Transcend). The Mini is such a great size and weight! I used the Mini every night for 18 days..I did the "good fight" to try to like/tolerate it. GL

HickorySmoke

Post by HickorySmoke » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:20 pm

Thank you for your replies everyone...I have decided to give the Go a go...after letting my partner hear the noise of the AirMini (which, with earplugs in she said was not that noticeable) I decided that the Go will most likely not be any louder and hopefully less so. That plus the fact the Go has a humidifier seemed like the better option. Fingers crossed.