Success with ResMed AirSense10 Auto

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bookbear

Success with ResMed AirSense10 Auto

Post by Bookbear » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm

I have recently switched to a ResMed AirSense10 Auto from a PR System One 60 auto. The PR was over 6 years old and starting to drop data and make some odd noises, so I figured it was time. (My very first cpap was a ResMed S8 auto, followed by two PR System Ones... a series 50 and a series 60). With the 60 series my AHI was creeping upward, from .7 to 1.6 to as much as 3.2. My numbers are MUCH better with the new machine, running .1 to .3. And I've had three 0.0 nights in the past two weeks, something had never happened before! I know that the AHI doesn't tell the whole story, and how you actually feel is most important. I seem less restless in bed, and will sometimes sleep straight through the night, which I never did before. I didn't feel un-rested with the PR, but I think I am a bit more rested with the ResMed. So I am pleased.

One small issue (not a real worry, just a bit of a puzzle)... with the PRs, I would use one tank of water every two, sometimes three days. With the ResMed, I am using a tank-full a night. Both tanks hold almost exactly the same amount of water to their fill lines, and both the PR and ResMed have heated hoses. The ResMed is set to auto on the climate and tube heat controls. The PR was set at 3 for humidity and the heated tube was on.

RochesterRRT

Re: Success with ResMed AirSense10 Auto

Post by RochesterRRT » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am

First off, congratulations on your cpap success!

The PR System One 60 auto and the ResMed S10 are very different machines, even thought they both have integral humidifiers and heated tubing the actual amount of ambient humidity in each device can vary greatly. For example with an S10 if the Climate Control setting is on 'Auto' that correlates to a humidity level of 4, the levels go from 0 to 8. At for you are receiving 10mg/L of ambient humidity. I cannot quote from memory the levels of moisture provided by the System One but, it can definitely be apples to oranges. I hope this helps.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:37 am

Thank you. I am pleased with the machine. I had the PR set at a humidity level of 3, with is the middle of it's range of 0-5. If I am reading the manual correctly, the Auto setting on the ResMed model corresponds to 4, the middle of it's range of 0-8. As you say, those ranges may be very different.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 am

RochesterRRT wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am
ResMed S10 ... S10
There's no such thing as a "S10" in the Resmed lineup.
RochesterRRT wrote:
if the Climate Control setting is on 'Auto' that correlates to a humidity level of 4,
It doesn't, read the manual, and please stop spreading the typical RT misinformation here.
RochesterRRT wrote:
At for you are receiving 10mg/L of ambient humidity.
The only way one receives "ambient humidity" is if one adds NO water to the tank.

We deal in accurate facts here, not mumbo jumbo medical misinformation.

Sit back and read, you might learn something and provide better care to your patients.

Last edited by palerider on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 am

Bookbear wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm
One small issue (not a real worry, just a bit of a puzzle)... with the PRs, I would use one tank of water every two, sometimes three days. With the ResMed, I am using a tank-full a night. Both tanks hold almost exactly the same amount of water to their fill lines, and both the PR and ResMed have heated hoses. The ResMed is set to auto on the climate and tube heat controls. The PR was set at 3 for humidity and the heated tube was on.
The Resmed holds (iirc) 55 more ml than the respironics. "Auto" doesn't correlate to a specific number, it tries to provide a specific humidity level, the amount of water will vary based on ambient humidity.

So, if you want less humidity, just put it on manual and dial it back.

Last edited by palerider on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 am

Minor differences in what each setting (in each brand) represents along with minor differences in ambient humidity will add up to sometimes major differences in water consumption.

I might use very little water one night and almost all the water the next night and never change machines or humidity settings....so the only variable has to be ambient humidity. It's a big variable sometimes.
And probably the most overlooked variable.
Other variables include pressures used and amount of leak that might be happening.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RochesterRRT

Post by RochesterRRT » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 am

Pugsy is totally correct, and as most people know 'mileage my vary' good luck on your continued success!

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:38 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 am
Bookbear wrote:
The Resmed holds (iirc) 55 more ml than the respironics. "Auto" doesn't correlate to a specific number, it tries to provide a specific humidity level, the amount of water will vary based on ambient humidity.

this is correct. (not that pr needs to hear that.) in my efforts to re-adapt back to a humid climate from a dry one, i noticed on auto that i'd be sucking down that water. on manual, it's far less evaporating going on.

oddly, even thought i now live in a high humidity environment, i find i need just a bit of the humidifier going.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Bookbear wrote:
I have recently switched to a ResMed AirSense10 Auto from a PR System One 60 auto.
i am SO much in agreement with you. i switched to the same resmed(well, for her) a year ago.

i think it was this switch that had the most impact on my therapy. i just sleep better with it, among other things.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 am

palerider wrote:
I didn't measure the amount of water directly. I poured my full Resperonics tank into my empty ResMed tank. The ResMed tank was filled right to the 'full' line, so it seems that the capacities of both are pretty close.

I did try using the manual setting at 2 and the next night 1. Both times I still used nearly one tank. Of course, it's entirely possible that the ambient humidity was quite low on those nights.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:09 am

You know I just looked up the capacity and the 60 series has a 325 ml capacity and the AirSense a 380 ml capacity.
So officially it is indeed 55 ml but eyeballing the max line can of course cause slight variations.
I have found that I can slightly overfill the AirSense chamber and not create a problem though.

Using the setting of 1 or 2 and still using up all the water....that's a lot of water for some relatively low settings.
I think I would invest in one of those gadgets that tells me the ambient humidity in the bedroom. I have one...cost about $6 from Amazon and also tells me temp.
You are using a lot of water and unless the ambient humidity in your bedroom is next to desert humidity....that's a bit unusual.

All that said....I have always had to top off the water chamber no matter which brand I used (Respironics or ResMed) as neither ever left me with enough water in the chamber unless the ambient humidity was quite high (like raining outside and I had the windows open).
As long as I don't run dry I don't care how much it uses.

Also always remember....along with ambient humidity.....leaks and pressures used will also affect water consumption.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:52 pm

I had the PRS1 for 6 years and now have the ResMed.

The PRS1 used very little water. When the humidifier was working (it crapped out after the first 3 years--a known defect of the machine), I had to refill maybe once every week or two on a setting of 2 -3. After the humidifier died, it was strictly passover mode and the water lasted a long time, of course. I never had a heated hose, but the air from the vents coming out of the PRSI was always ICE cold, even when the humidifier was working well and I cranked it up during upper respiratory infections.

The ResMed water chamber has to be filled every other day at least (and I often run it dry because I'm used to no humidity thanks to the PRS1). The air is warmer to begin with, and particularly with the humidifier turned up a bit.

I love the ResMed. The PRS1 was noisier, the damn humidifier light was on all night (even after it no longer worked), it had that annoying beep when you turned it on (I go to sleep later than my husband and it always woke him), and the algorithm was terribly uncomfortable IMHO. I always felt like my breathing had to catch up to the machine. With the ResMed, I feel like I can breathe naturally, it's dead quiet, and the lights turn OFF when you turn it on (hello, Philips, get a clue!). And no annoying beeps.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Bookbear wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 am
palerider wrote:
I didn't measure the amount of water directly. I poured my full Resperonics tank into my empty ResMed tank. The ResMed tank was filled right to the 'full' line, so it seems that the capacities of both are pretty close.

I did try using the manual setting at 2 and the next night 1. Both times I still used nearly one tank. Of course, it's entirely possible that the ambient humidity was quite low on those nights.
*sigh*.

Resmed air10 (and S9):
Water Capacity: 380 mL
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... #specs-tab

Dreamstation: (and system one)
Water Chamber Capacity: 325mL (11 oz)
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... #specs-tab

Overfill one a little, underfill the other. sloppy measurement will do that to you.