FFM with under chin design

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
viktri

FFM with under chin design

Post by viktri » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 pm

I've been using my CPAP for a year now and want to improve my comfort of the care.

I normally use nasal pillows but often have sinus issues throughout the year. I have several sizes of the dreamwear full face mask but it just doesn't seem to work that well for my face. I've tried everything. With my nasal pillows my AHI is normally around 0.2 to 0.5 but with the full face mask it's around 10, which is terrible. I think a big part of it is that my jaw moves and breaks the seal or something.

Been looking at the Fisher and Paykel FlexiFit series which has an under the chin feature. Was wondering whether anyone had any experience with it, and are there any competing products or is this the only one?

chunkyfrog

Re: FFM with under chin design

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm

The bullfrog had a fitlife total face mask, but tucked the bottom under his chin.
Not the normal way, but it worked nicely, and left a lovely wave in his beard.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:22 am

viktri wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 pm
I've been using my CPAP for a year now and want to improve my comfort of the care.

I normally use nasal pillows but often have sinus issues throughout the year. I have several sizes of the dreamwear full face mask but it just doesn't seem to work that well for my face. I've tried everything. With my nasal pillows my AHI is normally around 0.2 to 0.5 but with the full face mask it's around 10, which is terrible. I think a big part of it is that my jaw moves and breaks the seal or something.

Been looking at the Fisher and Paykel FlexiFit series which has an under the chin feature. Was wondering whether anyone had any experience with it, and are there any competing products or is this the only one?
If your AHI is really low with nasal pillows...why switch to FF mask?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:03 am

LSAT wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:22 am
viktri wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 pm

If your AHI is really low with nasal pillows...why switch to FF mask?
I relate.
Sinus issues, especially allergies can make it nearly impossible to nose-breathe On occasion I have either tried to endure a FFM or just not use CPAP .

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

viktri

Post by viktri » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm

The reason I have a CPAP is due to an issue with my nose where I don't have much space for air inside because I have too much flesh and that causes an issue with positive/negative pressure of airflow. So when my sinuses are irritated, I'm forced to mouth breathe so the nasal mask doesn't work at all.

Legrunt

Post by Legrunt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 pm

viktri wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm
The reason I have a CPAP is due to an issue with my nose where I don't have much space for air inside because I have too much flesh and that causes an issue with positive/negative pressure of airflow. So when my sinuses are irritated, I'm forced to mouth breathe so the nasal mask doesn't work at all.
That sounds more like you need a turbinectomy, rather than to struggle with CPAP for the rest of your life.
Have you seen a good ENT with regards to that problem?

Additional Comments: Uses a Dreamwear hybrid full face mask for travel as it packs a lot flatter than the F20. But it's a little noisier.
Derek

viktri

Post by viktri » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Legrunt wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 pm
viktri wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm
That sounds more like you need a turbinectomy, rather than to struggle with CPAP for the rest of your life.
Have you seen a good ENT with regards to that problem?
Yes, but surgery would only be a temporary fix as the tissue would regrow.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:27 pm

viktri wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:29 pm
This is true in the cases of cauterization, coblation, and radiofrequency reductions. These are easy treatments with easy recovery. They can be repeated easily.

However, there is a kind of turbinate reduction where a surgeon cuts into the turbinates to remove some of the bone beneath them to reduce their overall size. They may also use a small handheld device that can shave away some of the tissue around your turbinates, further opening your nasal cavity.

Just my opinion, but you would do well to pursue a procedure. And, depending on how you feel about your current doctor, you might want to get a second opinion.

Gramps had surgical turbinate reduction (and septum correction) about 20 years ago, and he will tell anyone that it was one of the best things he ever did for himself.

No use to suffer with this over the rest of your life. It could make CPAP so much easier, even when your allergies flare up.

Legrunt

Post by Legrunt » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:48 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:27 pm
viktri wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:29 pm
This is true in the cases of cauterization, coblation, and radiofrequency reductions. These are easy treatments with easy recovery. They can be repeated easily.

However, there is a kind of turbinate reduction where a surgeon cuts into the turbinates to remove some of the bone beneath them to reduce their overall size. They may also use a small handheld device that can shave away some of the tissue around your turbinates, further opening your nasal cavity.

Just my opinion, but you would do well to pursue a procedure. And, depending on how you feel about your current doctor, you might want to get a second opinion.

Gramps had surgical turbinate reduction (and septum correction) about 20 years ago, and he will tell anyone that it was one of the best things he ever did for himself.

No use to suffer with this over the rest of your life. It could make CPAP so much easier, even when your allergies flare up.
I too had Turbinate surgery done over 20 years ago. Prior to that, I remember being addicted to nasal decongestant sprays. It would get so bad to the point of being totally unable to breath through my nose at all, and would have to spend a few minutes spraying my nose and trying to force the medication past the blockage in order for it to be effective. (holding my nose closed, pressurizing the inside by blowing, in order to press the tissues in, then immediately releasing my nose and inhale while spraying before the tissues had a chance to close back...repeat about 5-8 times until the meds forced the tissues to contract sufficiently to be able to breath again. This would last for a couple of hours, after which I needed to repeat the whole thing again)
After the surgery, I never had to use that spray ever again.

Additional Comments: Uses a Dreamwear hybrid full face mask for travel as it packs a lot flatter than the F20. But it's a little noisier.
Derek

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:28 pm

Another great reason why I love this forum.

I went to my new ENT yesterday. I recently learned that my longtime GERD that wasn't being treated well was actually LPR (Laryngopharyngeal reflux). I also have random vertigo (not positional) that has not been figured out, despite going to an ENT in 2011 and then in January 2017.

This new ENT was the first one to actually put a camera in my nose. He found a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates. He also reviewed the video with me. He said they are not related to the LPR, but I might want to consider having it fixed. He gave me a pamphlet and told me we could discuss in the next appointment if I am interested.

I have always been a mouth breather. Unless I am doing pretty much nothing, I just can't get enough air in through my nose to breathe longterm. Not sure how often, but I have to open my mouth and take a longer breath. And if I am active, I just use my mouth full time. At night,I only use my mouth. So, I can see where this might be useful to me to have done. I figured the best way to determine if this might really help me is to see what people here say since I know it has been mentioned, and you have no financial gain in giving your experience. The first post I found was this post with 2 of you giving experience of 20 years after surgery. Pretty darn useful to me. Makes me wish one of the earlier doctors had pointed this out to me.

You never know who will benefit from your posts, now and later. I know this one is current, but I will do some more searching as well. I am glad I knew to check here.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?