Why Didn't I get a ResMed for Her?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
suzeecat

Why Didn't I get a ResMed for Her?

Post by suzeecat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 am

Second week into this CPAP journey and first post. I was in denial for a very, very long time and just did the sleep study to get my dr. off my back so that he would continue to prescribe Lunesta for my terrible insomnia.

That said, here I am with moderate OSA and hoping for the best, with some good and some bad nights already under my belt. Knowing absolutely NOTHING about this condition or the equipment, I met with the technician who set me up with the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I felt like I was getting a pretty top-of-the-line piece of equipment but now I have become aware that ResMed has a model exclusively for women! I'm kind of wondering why they didn't give me that model since I am clearly a female. Does anyone know what the difference is, and if you have one, what exactly makes it more appropriate for a woman, other than it's white (and not black, like the one I have)? I'm still in my initial 30-day period so I'm wondering if I should make a case to switch? Or, should I just accept what I was given?

Pugsy

Re: Why Didn't I get a ResMed for Her?

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum.

Read this manual.
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf

The for Her model AutoSet is exactly like the regular AutoSet except it has a 3rd mode of operation.
The for Her apap/auto adjusting mode. A different auto adjusting algorithm which may or may not be something that benefits you.

So your current machine has 2 modes of operation.
CPAP mode which is a fixed single pressure
APAP/Auto adjusting mode which is a single pressure that auto adjusts as needed.

The for Her model has the same first 2 modes of operation as the regular AutoSet plus a 3rd special mode that has been target marketed for women but there's really no reason that it needs to be exclusively for women. It's a different algorithm and not something that men might not benefit from. We have a lot of men using that mode and doing very well with it.

Is it a critical issue? Dunno but I feel it's always better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it.
The difference is explained in the manual above but the short version is that is has gentler pressure changes that "women" sometimes find more to suit them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:55 am

I have the "for her" model, and the difference is minimal.
Many do not even use the for her mode, as they find it less responsive to needs over 12 cm.
As for the color, ummm--do you sleep with the lights on or off?

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:55 am

The For Her model adds an optional For Her mode that is tuned a little differently. It is a little more sensitive to upper airway flow restrictions, responds sooner but raises the pressure a little less. It will only raise the pressure to 12 for obstructive apnea and hypopnea events, though it will still go higher for flow limitations and snoring.

Depending on what pressure range you are using, you may not even be able to use the For Her mode. In that case, it it would be exactly like a regular Autoset.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:04 am

It will only raise the pressure to 12 for obstructive apnea and hypopnea events, though it will still go higher for flow limitations and snoring.
The machine will indeed increase the pressure above 12 for OAs and hyponeas as long as they are accompanied by flow limitations or snores. So it's not like it never will increase the pressure for those events.
I used the for Her mode and would quite often see it respond to 14 to 16 when I had an OA or hyponea. I assume because I had a flow limitation along with it. Most of the time people will have FLs or snores when they have OAs or hyponeas....not always but most of the time.
I have only seen two people who the for Her algorithm didn't respond as needed to deal with OAs or hyponeas.

One of the features I really liked about it was the fact that if I had 2 OAs within a minute (which I did on a fairly regular basic in REM sleep where my OSA is worse) then the algorithm would establish a new minimum pressure for me for the rest of that sleep session in an effort to better prevent more OAs from happening. I saw this happen quite often. This meant that I only had to use a higher minimum when actually needed instead of all night long.

So it will go higher than 12 as long as any OAs or hyponeas that are happening have some FLs or snores going on too....and most of the time people will.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:26 am

suzeecat wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 am
I felt like I was getting a pretty top-of-the-line piece of equipment but now I have become aware that ResMed has a model exclusively for women!
It's exclusively for anybody... they said women *may* benefit from the extra mode, but then, so may men.

Not all women benefit from it.

As to why you didn't get it, you'll have to ask whoever offered it to you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:47 am

suzeecat wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 am
I felt like I was getting a pretty top-of-the-line piece of equipment but now I have become aware that ResMed has a model exclusively for women!
welcome to the zoo!

if i may chime in; i'm a guy and i use the "for her" machine.

so it's not necessarily exclusive to women.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

suzeecat

Post by suzeecat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am

Interesting, Zonker. May I ask, why was this unit prescribed, and why is it better for you?

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 am

I'm a guy and HAD a "For Her", but now my fiancee has it and I'm switching to a Vauto. In return for prodding me to start CPAP, I prodded her to drag hers out of the closet. Long story short, after seeing what she had and failed with, and looking at her old data, I sent her home with my machine and a new mask.

I didn't try the For Her mode because my minimum pressure was 13 (now 15). Kim is using it though, with much better results than she had with her old machine.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:02 pm

suzeecat wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am
Interesting, Zonker. May I ask, why was this unit prescribed, and why is it better for you?
you may ask, of course, but the answer may disappoint you. i wasn't prescribed this machine at all. started out in 2015 with a different machine. i then switched to yet another machine. then finally ended up the one i have now, after reading all the glowing recommendations here on the forum.

i realize that i come from a position of privilege in that i can afford to pay out of pocket and don't rely on insurance. your case may be different.

but in my case, i truly believe having used this machine is what is mostly responsible for me getting my ahi under control.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

katebrownell86

Post by katebrownell86 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:37 am

Is ResMed applicable for low sleep apnea?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:01 am

katebrownell86 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:37 am
That's like asking if Ford is applicable for driving

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 am

LSAT wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:01 am
katebrownell86 wrote:
More like is a Mustang applicable for slow city driving.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:32 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 am
LSAT wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:01 am
katebrownell86 wrote:
More like is a Mustang applicable for slow city driving.
No, lsat was right.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Guiniviere

Post by Guiniviere » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:39 am

] but now I have become aware that ResMed has a model exclusively for women! I'm kind of wondering why they didn't give me that model since I am clearly a female.

My sentiments exactly!

I was on the Respironics Dreamstation and doing alright, I thought, when I became aware of this ''for Her'. I pestered the life out of the DME until I got one, and only 2 nights later begged for my Dreamstation back.

I don't know why but the 'for Her' just seemed to blast air into my nose (and out through my mouth even though I was wearing a collar to keep my mouth closed/stop me snoring!)) and the Dreamstation literally seems to do it in a much more gentle way at the same pressures. I did post about it but did not get an explanation as to why it felt so different

But you were already on a ResMed so perhaps you have got used to it, as, from what I glean, the 'for Her' difference is not that much anyway...<br/>

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the difference...