Central Apneas?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vangmay231

Central Apneas?

Post by vangmay231 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 am

Here's my background: Symptoms of fatigue, tiredness, EDS, lack of focus and concentration, morning headaches since June 2017. Diagnosed with OSA in September 2018, study did without titration because I was claustrophobic with the FFM used. Using Cpap since 20th Sept '18, arbitrary pressure of 7cm/h2o. No improvement in symptoms.
Another sleep study done on 11th October '18, AHI of 34.9 in the diagnostic portion, 15cm/h2o pressure titrated. Doctor suggests Bipap at 16/10 and gives his own demo unit. Here's where the issue comes. Attached Sleepyhead data - Obstructive and Hypoapneas virtually disappear after 3-4 days of use, but a large number of Clear Airway apneas crop up, 7-8 AHI at least just attributing to CA. I use it for a week and then get back to the Cpap, at a pressure of 13cm/h2o.
Now, this is old data that I wouldn't have revisited, except for the fact that I've used the Cpap at the same setting for a year now, which I was comfortable with and my AHI came down to under 4. At the most I've increased my Cpap pressure slowly to 14 or 15, but eventually came down to 13 because that gave the best data. Changed from Dreamwear nasal to Dreamwear FFM 2-3 months ago as AHI had risen to 6-7 with the Nasal mask, and AHI has been under 3 for this time, and under 1.5-2 for the past month. However even with the good result along with good compliance and comfort, my symptoms haven't budged at all. I haven't had a similar central apnea issue with the CPAP, and the doctors say my OSA is treated. But one of the doctors mentioned that I could have an issue with Central Sleep Apnea, however considering I'm from a country with minimal research of sleep disorders outside OSA and Narcolepsy, I can't get much more information. I have ENT issues that I need to undergo surgery for (DNS, Enlarged tonsils, adenoids and turbinates, loose palette) that I'm hoping should at least lower the pressure required for my OSA. But I just need a better understanding so I can hope to do something about my symptoms. Oh another thing, I thought the CAs using the Bipap were just due to the higher pressure and it was making me uncomfortable, but even at a pressure of 15 with the CPAP I've had no CAs.
Apart from this - on no medications, 21/M, BMI of 23.5.
Bipap 14th Oct 18.png
Bipap 14th Oct 18.png (125.53 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Bipap 16th Oct 18.png
Bipap 16th Oct 18.png (125.46 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Bipap 18th Oct 18.png
Bipap 18th Oct 18.png (126.33 KiB) Viewed 4511 times

katebrownell86

Re: Central Apneas?

Post by katebrownell86 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:01 am

Where did you get this diagnosis report? Are you using CPAP mask till now? Is there any improvement in your health (sleep apnea)? I am also a CPAP user in the beginning phase. I just wanted to know how people feel after using a CPAP mask for a long time.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 am

katebrownell86 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:01 am
Where did you get this diagnosis report? Are you using CPAP mask till now? Is there any improvement in your health (sleep apnea)? I am also a CPAP user in the beginning phase. I just wanted to know how people feel after using a CPAP mask for a long time.
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

vangmay231

Post by vangmay231 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:42 pm

katebrownell86 wrote:
So I use a software called Sleepyhead, here is the link for it - https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/
So, on paper my apneas have basically disappeared, and I can feel a major difference if I by chance sleep without the cpap (very rae), but I haven't felt any major difference in my symptoms that I've mentioned in the original post. The thing is, I probably have other issues except for OSA, in the case of pure OSA you should feel good within a few months of usage at max.

idlewire

Post by idlewire » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:28 pm

A large difference in pressure between IPAP and EPAP can cause central apneas. Try lowering your IPAP to no more than 3 above your EPAP.

vangmay231

Post by vangmay231 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:36 pm

idlewire wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:28 pm
A large difference in pressure between IPAP and EPAP can cause central apneas. Try lowering your IPAP to no more than 3 above your EPAP.
Oh, that is interesting. Any idea is to why that happens? Just to help understand the situation bettwr

idlewire

Post by idlewire » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:48 pm

The difference in pressure correlates with how much air is taken into the lungs with a normal breathing effort. Take too much air in and your CO2 levels drop too low. Your body won't breathe while asleep if CO2 levels are too low. So you hold your breath until CO2 rises high enough to signal the body to breathe again.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:34 am

vangmay231 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:42 pm
katebrownell86 wrote:
So I use a software called Sleepyhead, here is the link for it -
Sleepyhead is dead, Mr Watkins killed it in a fit of spite.

Get Oscar.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.