Totally confused because I have low apneas but still suffering

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bigtenweather

Totally confused because I have low apneas but still suffering

Post by bigtenweather » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm

I am wearing my full face mask Resmed Airsense 10 cpap, 7-8 hours per night. The data says I am only usually getting around 0.8 apneas per night. My mask doesn't have any leaks. I typically get a 99% or 100% sleep score from resmed. I am 53 yo male, just a little over weight and workout regularly. I don't smoke or drink. I have been diagnosed with obstructive and complex apnea and during my sleep study I had 31 apneas per hour. The only thing I do wrong is I usually eat two hours before bedtime.

My issue is that I am still yawning like crazy during the day. I have major brain fog. I can still form sentences, but if I'm trying to explain something or tell a story, I can't find the words. I never am so tired that I want to fall asleep. I'm just frustrated in my lack of ability to sound like an intelligent person because I can't find the words to make my point.

Does anyone have any suggestions? At all?

I bought a Resmed autoset out of pocket because I thought that would certainly be the fix. It wasn't.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks everyone.

palerider

Re: Totally confused because I have low apneas but still suffering

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 pm

How long has it been that you've been at this? If you are still new at this, it might be a little more sleep for a while could help with your recovery. Your body has to heal from who knows how long of the assault of untreated sleep apnea. You are probably getting adequate sleep for maintenance, but may benefit from a bit more for recovery. Do post your machine data in case it holds any clues. If you've been at this a while with persistent symptoms you may want to start ruling out other possible contributors like medication side effects, other sleep disorders like limb movements, thyroid dysfunction, anemia, diabetes, Vitamin D or B Vitamins deficiencies... Good luck figuring things out. Whether your treatment is working depends on if it is effectively treating your sleep disordered breathing. If other things are at play, you could still feel bad. Confirm your data details do look good then be diligent to continue treatment. As you go through the ruling out process, at least you can check that off the list. Oh, how do you feel your sleep is, as far as quality and wakeups?

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:05 am

bigtenweather wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm
The only thing I do wrong is I usually eat two hours before bedtime.
Everyone is different, but seriously, try to not eat for at least 4 hours before bedtime.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

mper!?

Post by mper!? » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:29 am

Hi, bigtenweather
Not trying to jump to anything before your charts , From my own experience and from tens of lingering apnea/UARS/FL/RERA-treated people elsewhere, my first hypothesis would have just touched the tip of the iceberg: mild apneas.
Good luck
Not a Doctor.
"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight (Carly Fiorina)".

bigtenweather

Post by bigtenweather » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 am

kteague wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 pm
How long has it been that you've been at this? If you are still new at this, it might be a little more sleep for a while could help with your recovery. Your body has to heal from who knows how long of the assault of untreated sleep apnea. You are probably getting adequate sleep for maintenance, but may benefit from a bit more for recovery. Do post your machine data in case it holds any clues. If you've been at this a while with persistent symptoms you may want to start ruling out other possible contributors like medication side effects, other sleep disorders like limb movements, thyroid dysfunction, anemia, diabetes, Vitamin D or B Vitamins deficiencies... Good luck figuring things out. Whether your treatment is working depends on if it is effectively treating your sleep disordered breathing. If other things are at play, you could still feel bad. Confirm your data details do look good then be diligent to continue treatment. As you go through the ruling out process, at least you can check that off the list. Oh, how do you feel your sleep is, as far as quality and wakeups?
Ahhhh, that just might be it, I just need more sleep. I used to need 8-9 hours of sleep, but somehow thought 7 was the magic number. I will definitely try just sleeping longer. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I still have to figure out oscar, but will post my stats once I figure it out

bigtenweather

Post by bigtenweather » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 am

mper!? wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:29 am
Hi, bigtenweather
Not trying to jump to anything before your charts , From my own experience and from tens of lingering apnea/UARS/FL/RERA-treated people elsewhere, my first hypothesis would have just touched the tip of the iceberg: mild apneas.
Good luck
Thank you mper, I have to download oscar to get that data apparently. I have to figure that out as a luddite :)

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 am

Brain fog is a symptom of other issues. Have you had bloodwork recently ? Thyroid and many of the autoimmune issues come to mind. See your doctor.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:48 am

bigtenweather wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 am

Thank you mper, I have to download oscar to get that data apparently. I have to figure that out as a luddite :)
welcome to the zoo! everyone here started out as new. though some started out so long ago, they don't remember what it's like. :lol:

you've got this. you are going to make this happen. however, it's not going to happen overnight, as it were. it's going to take time and effort on your part. mainly, what you've been told by doctors ("use this machine every night and you'll feel better") is a lie. it's why so many fail at this.

no one guides them through the proper steps. well, you've come to the right place. we'll try to get you there. being a luddite may hinder you a bit. so anytime you don't understand a step, let us know. we'll try to guide you through.

most important-please stay in this thread for the time being. it will help the experts keep better track of you. when you get oscar figured out(remember to ask on the hard bits!), you'll want to post your charts right here, in this thread.

best of luck to you!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 pm

I’m a Luddite too, but honestly, dealing with Oscar was not that bad. Plus all you need to do if you hit a snag is ask for help here.

First step, check whether you have an SD card in your machine. If not, get one—whatever is cheap and the right size. If your laptop or desktop doesn’t have a card reader, you can get a cheap one to plug in.

Then go here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/ Read the installation and migration guide first. I didn’t and I should have. Don’t worry if you computer issues dire warnings when you start downloading the software. Just carry on.

When you are up and running, take a screenshot of a daily chart, first turning off the calendar and the pie chart, then stacking you graphs like so:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

You can scrunch them a little by grabbing the grey horizontal line that separates them.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

bjhunt01

Post by bjhunt01 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:04 am

I'm thinking that you may not be getting restful sleep and having a lot of little wakeups. When you post your charts, we might be able to see that or something else that could be helpful to you.

bigtenweather

Post by bigtenweather » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:52 am

zonker wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:48 am
bigtenweather wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 am

welcome to the zoo! everyone here started out as new. though some started out so long ago, they don't remember what it's like. :lol:

you've got this. you are going to make this happen. however, it's not going to happen overnight, as it were. it's going to take time and effort on your part. mainly, what you've been told by doctors ("use this machine every night and you'll feel better") is a lie. it's why so many fail at this.

no one guides them through the proper steps. well, you've come to the right place. we'll try to get you there. being a luddite may hinder you a bit. so anytime you don't understand a step, let us know. we'll try to guide you through.

most important-please stay in this thread for the time being. it will help the experts keep better track of you. when you get oscar figured out(remember to ask on the hard bits!), you'll want to post your charts right here, in this thread.

best of luck to you!
Thanks Zonker, that reassures me tbh. I know its a process, and I'm willing to do my part because this brain fog is driving me nuts. It's like I've lost a significant part of who I am (the ability to communicate effectively)....thanks again

bigtenweather

Post by bigtenweather » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:53 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 pm
I’m a Luddite too, but honestly, dealing with Oscar was not that bad. Plus all you need to do if you hit a snag is ask for help here.

First step, check whether you have an SD card in your machine. If not, get one—whatever is cheap and the right size. If your laptop or desktop doesn’t have a card reader, you can get a cheap one to plug in.

Then go here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/ Read the installation and migration guide first. I didn’t and I should have. Don’t worry if you computer issues dire warnings when you start downloading the software. Just carry on.

When you are up and running, take a screenshot of a daily chart, first turning off the calendar and the pie chart, then stacking you graphs like so:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

You can scrunch them a little by grabbing the grey horizontal line that separates them.
Thanks Emirita, lots of very helpful information here

bigtenweather

Post by bigtenweather » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:55 am

bjhunt01 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:04 am
I'm thinking that you may not be getting restful sleep and having a lot of little wakeups. When you post your charts, we might be able to see that or something else that could be helpful to you.
Thats what I thought too at first. But I also use the app "sleep cycle" and it tells me that I routinely get 90% or better sleeps....ughhh, so confusing. Thanks for your help

slowriter

Post by slowriter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:14 am

bigtenweather wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:55 am
bjhunt01 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:04 am
Thats what I thought too at first. But I also use the app "sleep cycle" and it tells me that I routinely get 90% or better sleeps....ughhh, so confusing. Thanks for your help
Those apps aren't very accurate though.