In need of possibly a larger mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CrazyCooter

In need of possibly a larger mask?

Post by CrazyCooter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm finally rested well, but wake up either unable to breath through my nose due to the mask pinching my nose or pain in my lower row of teeth. I know my teeth are moving around since I can tell with my bite.

From what I have read on the reports I had always used a med mask.......Trust the pros right? After constant leaks into my eyes around my nose and sometimes out the sides of my mouth using my Airfit F20, I decided to try a large which worked MUCH better, but still leaked at times. I read here to try the Air Touch F20 which was again another improvement.

I went in for my 90 day last week and told them of my problems.....They told me I needed a bigger mask.......Large appears to be the largest available.Then they told me I needed comfort liners which did help, but if I'm to live with this forever, I'd trust a solution from people who actually use the equipment........

I was mouth breathing during the sleep test, but hell......If they were pinching my nose closed, how could I breath through my nose? Not being experienced at the time, I just accepted the discomfort as the norm. I know better now. I have been training myself to breath through my nose and every time I wake up I verify nose breathing.......Maybe it's time to try a nasal?

I did some searching around, but came up with nothing so far. I have a very large head....I wear XXL motorcycle helmets because almost nobody makes a XXXL and they are still too tight. My wife says I'm not normal sized guy in any dimension.....Just my luck!

Pugsy

Re: In need of possibly a larger mask?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm

I have always maintained that wanting to try something is a good enough reason to try it.
Just wanting is enough reason in my book.
I have tried dozens of masks over the years...some were big disasters and some were nice winners. We never know until we try.

And yes...if something pinches your nose so you can't breathe...duh...you are going to breathe through your mouth. I had this happen during my titration and I got in a big fight with the tech because he said I needed a full face mask since my nose got stopped up with the nasal cushion mask he first put on me...well it wasn't stopped up until they strapped the damn mask on me too tight. :lol: Anyway I told him to give me a nasal pillow mask to try or I was checking out without doing the study. He grudgingly got one for me...was too big but I made do with it.

What kind of nasal interface are you interested in? Have you looked at the various options?
https://www.cpap.com/category/cpap-masks
What looks interesting to you?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rcobourn

Post by rcobourn » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I had a similar experience with full face masks, and switched to the AirFit P10 with the large pillow. Much better. Every time I get a new mask, I have to stretch out the head strap to fit around my oversized skull, or it feels like I've got an alien facehugger trying to move in through my nose. If you have issues with mouth breathing with the nasal pillows, there's lots of help available here. I keep a full face mask on hand in case I'm too congested, but haven't needed it often since being introduced to X-lear on this site.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm
I have always maintained that wanting to try something is a good enough reason to try it.
Just wanting is enough reason in my book.
I have tried dozens of masks over the years...some were big disasters and some were nice winners. We never know until we try.

And yes...if something pinches your nose so you can't breathe...duh...you are going to breathe through your mouth. I had this happen during my titration and I got in a big fight with the tech because he said I needed a full face mask since my nose got stopped up with the nasal cushion mask he first put on me...well it wasn't stopped up until they strapped the damn mask on me too tight. :lol: Anyway I told him to give me a nasal pillow mask to try or I was checking out without doing the study. He grudgingly got one for me...was too big but I made do with it.

What kind of nasal interface are you interested in? Have you looked at the various options?
https://www.cpap.com/category/cpap-masks
What looks interesting to you?
I had no idea and trusted they knew what they were doing. As with most things in life these days involving other people........A big disappointment!

I honestly don't know what to try. So many choices..... The Philips line stands out do to the hose on top of the head. The hose coming right off your mouth seems to cause leaks if there is any side pressure at all.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 pm

rcobourn wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:13 pm
I had a similar experience with full face masks, and switched to the AirFit P10 with the large pillow. Much better. Every time I get a new mask, I have to stretch out the head strap to fit around my oversized skull, or it feels like I've got an alien facehugger trying to move in through my nose. If you have issues with mouth breathing with the nasal pillows, there's lots of help available here. I keep a full face mask on hand in case I'm too congested, but haven't needed it often since being introduced to X-lear on this site.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yes! Even after I bought the large headgear to go with the large mask, it still doesn't fit right!

I was actually thinking of getting out a heat gun to reform my silicone p20 around the nose. Not much to lose at this point with it.

I was just thinking about how it will be should I ever get a cold again. I made some changes with my work that lightened my load early last year and have yet to be sick again......

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm

You think that DMEs or any of the medical care people never make mistakes and are never lazy and always have your best success in mind when they do something? :lol: :lol: :lol: I worked in the medical field for over 35 years and I can tell you for a fact that none of that is a given. You get good people and bad people just like in all professions.

My suggestion since the Respironics top mounted hose interests you...try the nasal cushion and the gel pillow (works on the same frame and saves money).

Give me a little bit...I think I might have enough parts to give to you to try and all I ask is postage reimbursement...I send out a lot of stuff and the costs add up and right now money is real tight. If you can't pay now...maybe later.

Let me see if I have enough parts to build a complete mask....will get back with you.

It will be this one. ResMed makes a similar mask but I know I don't have one of those.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... k-fit-pack

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm
You think that DMEs or any of the medical care people never make mistakes and are never lazy and always have your best success in mind when they do something? :lol: :lol: :lol: I worked in the medical field for over 35 years and I can tell you for a fact that none of that is a given. You get good people and bad people just like in all professions.

My suggestion since the Respironics top mounted hose interests you...try the nasal cushion and the gel pillow (works on the same frame and saves money).

Give me a little bit...I think I might have enough parts to give to you to try and all I ask is postage reimbursement...I send out a lot of stuff and the costs add up and right now money is real tight. If you can't pay now...maybe later.

Let me see if I have enough parts to build a complete mask....will get back with you.

It will be this one. ResMed makes a similar mask but I know I don't have one of those.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... k-fit-pack
I can agree on lazy and uninformed in every profession. I'm in auto repair and see the incompetence regularly. Big difference is you can get a new car if it gets screwed up bad enough.....Were stuck in this body for a long time. I love that saying....."If I thought I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself".

I see prescription required on every mask/pillow? Is this why it seems many online sellers only sell parts?

I'd be interested if you have something laying around that didn't work out for you. I can cover whatever you need for it.

I just love the service you do on here.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:50 pm

CrazyCooter wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 pm
"If I thought I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself".
My husband's favorite saying and so very true. He's paying for it now.

I am looking for the parts needed.
Looks like I have a small frame (how big is your head? hat size?) and I am missing the headgear which is easy enough to find on EBay 15 to 20 bucks.
I am still looking though.

Yes, complete mask packages from most online suppliers will require a RX but any of the parts individually don't require a RX.
Makes no sense but that's the way it is.

Amazon sellers won't ask for the RX. Here is the complete package in the gel pillow version. Probably comes with the medium frame (frames are in 3 sizes...small, medium and large) The frame is the part that the headgear attaches to and the hose attaches to.

https://www.amazon.com/DreamWear-Gel-Pi ... ay&sr=8-14

Let me keep looking though. I thought I had a headgear but I may have already given it away.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:29 am

Pretty crazy to require a script for just a mask.......

Thanks for that link. May give that a try, but not sure if a med. head gear would fly. At that price, I could get the large head gear after if it was too small. 7 7/8 hat size if I recall, but I think it's the actually height and deep oval that gets me. The circumference isn't that large in the scheme of things.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:35 am

The small frame I have probably won't work for you. I was afraid of that.

I do have some nasal cushions and gel pillows in various sizes that are brand new that you could have if you got the other parts but sometimes the package deal with the fit pack of stuff works out cheaper than individual pieces.
If you get the gel pillow package...let me know as I am pretty sure I have some of the under the nose cushions you could have and at least not have to buy that part.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 pm

Hard to tell with the item in that link whether or not the whole set is included. It just says "DreamWear Gel Pillows" and no SKU info.

I'm sure getting a prescription would involve another trip in to see the "doctor's office staff" as I haven't seen or talked the actual doctor since the first time we met 4 months ago.......Then they are going to want to send me to the DME.....Whck will generate more confusing bills. May have to continue to look for a non compliant seller

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:31 pm

There was another listing on Amazon for a complete package that was specifically clear that it included all sizes or what we call the fit pack...it was 80 something dollars though. Might be worth the cost just to make sure if you want all sizes since one of any of the cushions runs nearly 20 bucks no matter who you get it from...except the ones I have are free. :lol: I am unsure of what sizes I do have though...I think all sizes but I can't swear to it.
Had a lot on my plate last few days and simply not enough time to digging through the 3 donations boxes I have (forum members send me their unused or unwanted stuff and I pass it along when I see the need).

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 pm

I recieved the Philips that was from that link and fyi, it came with everything......Med frame and all three sized nostril gels. Looks like there is another seller offering up the same for $10 less now.

Got it all washed and fitted. Hoping for positive results tonight!