DME woes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KathyJL

DME woes

Post by KathyJL » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:18 am

Why oh why is it so difficult to be a good DME?? Seriously, I've thought about opening my own DME store so I could provide accurate orders, fast shipping, and plain old excellent customer support. Why is it so hard for them to do a good job?!?!? 10 years on CPAP now and I STILL can't find a reliable DME.
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

Okie bipap

Re: DME woes

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:13 am

Insurance companies make contracts with DME companies that provide the lowest bid. If you are able and willing to purchase out of pocket, you can find very good DME companies. As long as you are dealing with the low cost bidders, you are going to get crappy service.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Consider your needs list like an RFP (request for proposal).
If you are not offered what you really want/need, tell them it's no deal.
This applies equally for in-network or self-pay.
If you are FIRM about what you will or will not take, it can help your case.
Some places will give a little at the beginning if they NEED your business

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 pm

KathyJL wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:18 am
Why oh why is it so difficult to be a good DME?? Seriously, I've thought about opening my own DME store so I could provide accurate orders, fast shipping, and plain old excellent customer support. Why is it so hard for them to do a good job?!?!? 10 years on CPAP now and I STILL can't find a reliable DME.
It's not difficult at all. Just use the website of our sponsor and you will be just fine.

https://www.cpap.com/

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 pm
KathyJL wrote:
It's not difficult at all. Just use the website of our sponsor and you will be just fine.

Den

Just be sure to have your credit card ready because they don't get involved with insurance or Medicare.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:04 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm
Wulfman... wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 pm
KathyJL wrote:

Den

Just be sure to have your credit card ready because they don't get involved with insurance or Medicare.
Right.
But, to the main question........how much is it worth to have a "GOOD DME"?.......one you can rely on and don't have the (typical) headaches of traditional brick & mortar shops.
And, if the user has insurance that has deductibles (which restart each year), many times it's just as cost effective to pay out of pocket.

Personally, I've never relied on my insurance to pay for my supplies and have purchased all of them (and many of my machines) from online suppliers or from forum members.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:07 pm

I suffered through five years of Apria.

Our insurance changed, and I was able to find a good local DME.

It's possible. But you have to be very firm about what you are asking for.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:26 pm

What we don't always appreciate is all the hoops DME's have to jump through to be licensed, certified, and to deal with contracts with each and every insurance program. The regulations are staggering, then each insurer adds it's own complications. It's a HUGE burden. In addition, they have to carry an expensive inventory and maintain staff with a certain level of expertise. So while it sounds easy to do this "right" in theory, the reality is very different. It's extremely hard, and while some do it well, many do not.

I don't feel sorry for DME's because they CHOOSE to do this and make a profit.

We don't choose OSA and the need for PAP. Their need for profit is in many ways a conflict of interest with our need for optimal treatment. OTOH, if they could not make a profit they would not be available to provide the equipment and supplies we need. Will it ever be possible to buy PAP machines and supplies over the counter?

I sure wouldn't want to be in a DME's shoes. At the same time, I don't have to like the way they do business or let them off the hook with their obligations to me.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

KathyJL

Post by KathyJL » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 pm

I failed to mention I was referring to insurance in-network DME's. CPAP.com is great. I've ordered many times from them and had no problems. Maybe I will have to switch to paying out of pocket...at least for the less expensive supply refills. My insurance can help pay for the machine itself, though. Those things are pricey!!
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 pm

KathyJL wrote:
Why is it so hard for them to do a good job?!?!? 10 years on CPAP now and I STILL can't find a reliable DME.
My personal opinion...most have employees either who are poorly trained or simply don't give a crap. They hire cheapest labor they can to answer the phone and take orders and they get no instructions or maybe the supervisors don't give a crap either.
And then even if the right thing gets ordered....in shipping or the back room there are other idiots who don't give a crap either. :lol:
They don't pay attention to what they pick out of the inventory.
Poorly trained, cheap labor and they don't give a crap.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 am

In 2010, I used Praxair until Apria (Crapria) bought them out. I have had problems with them since, but have learned to get things done, all the while, banging my head against the wall. I have bought 4 machines thru them..... and that's when they are their worst. I mostly deal with them on a quarterly basis ordering supplies.... cushions, headgears, tubing and filters. The quarterly calls are normally somewhere between pleasant to unbelievably bad. As Froggie said, I know what I want/need and that is what I get.

It's sad that an industry is like that....

Sheriff

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am

CVS just bought the DME I have been using. Surely that won't be a good thing.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:02 am

CrazyCooter wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am
Nailed it! :shock:

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:17 pm

CrazyCooter wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am
I have never used them for dme equipment but as a pharmacy they stink ! They refill prescriptions without permission and when your refills run out they contact the doctor on your behalf even after I've told them I don't want refills. My doctor checks my blood every 3 months and adjusts my thyroid medicine accordingly. They alway try to refill it even after I've told them they do not have my permission to contact the doctor for refills because she will likely change the damn prescription.