mask vent blowing on me and my spouse

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
timoteo

mask vent blowing on me and my spouse

Post by timoteo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:57 am

I use a Phillips Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow Mask and it has a vent at the bottom of the mask where it joins the hose to the machine. This vent blows on me and my spouse during the night. This is very annoying. I have read that some people will put a piece of gauze over the vent to diffuse the "exhaust". I worry about doing anything to the vent since that is how the mask vents the CO2 I exhale. Blocking the mask vent seems like it would be deadly. .

Has anyone done the gauze thing with this mask or come up with some other nice trick to keep the mask vent from blowing on you or your SO?

Pugsy

Re: mask vent blowing on me and my spouse

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am

What machine are you using?
If a Respironics machine there may be a way to test just how much any gauze used to diffuse the vented air might be limiting the air flow but I won't go into the details unless you are using a full data Respironics machine.

I have not used gauze or filters to block this particular mask but I have used both to diffuse the vented air on my Bleep mask which vents with a force equal to the Nuance nasal pillows. I have checked the total vent rate (with a Respironics leak report) and it doesn't restrict the vented air enough to hurt anything 1 L/min maybe. So small of a difference I couldn't tell if it was normal variance or actual restriction.
Gauze will work but it's hard to get it to stay put and not have whatever you are using to get it to stay put to not block the vent.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:19 pm

To the OP:

Please fill in your equipment profile. It's best to get the information from there, rather than the text of your message.

If a given mask is problematic (for any reason) you can try a different one.

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:09 am

timoteo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:57 am

...This vent blows on me and my spouse during the night. This is very annoying...
I had this problem with the Dreamwear FFM and it was annoying enough that it woke both of us up. I experimented with cotton-balls stretched out a tad and loosely taped on. That worked to tame the jet-blast, but not so much for the noise.

I didn't try gauze, but if you can hold it over your nose/mouth and easily breathe through it, I would think it would work fine.

My final solution was to switch to a ResMed mask that has their diffused venting. It's super quiet and you can hold a hand a foot in front of the vent and not feel anything.

Good Luck!
-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 am

I'd like to get my mask to blow on my head and cool it and the mask, then I could turn my A/C temp down. I like wind! I'm thinking of a way to suspend a desk fan (It's USB Powered) from my headboard. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:55 pm

JayDee wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:09 am

and you can hold a hand a foot in front of the vent and not feel anything.
BUT! can you hold a hand AND a foot in front of the vent?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:12 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:55 pm
JayDee wrote:

Yes, but not while the mask is on your face. :roll: :roll:

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:48 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:55 pm
JayDee wrote:

All depends on how limber they are. :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 pm

I have used this set up for three years and am still breathing :

If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:37 pm

grayghost4 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 pm
I have used this set up for three years and am still breathing :

If you decide to replace your frame, the Amara View now comes with magnetic clips.
The headgear, cushion and short tube are still the same.

timoteo

Post by timoteo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

I don't understand how the gauze is used in the picture. Your mask looks similar to mine but that placement of the gauze wouldn't do anything on my mask. I guess your gauze covers the exhale port on your mask. Mine would have to cover the exhaust port at the bottom of the clear hard plastic connector to which the hose attaches.

How did you determine that the gauze wouldn't suffocate you or affect your health? Is that just regular lightweight gauze from the drug store?

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm

I have seen the magnet clips .... but I have changed to the Dreamware full face mask and I like it much better it also has the magnet clips. It also has a different vent arrangement which does not blow out with the same force as the Amara View.

The mesh is half of a ResMed inlet filter and it is just wedged between the frame and the mask cushion covering the vent and it is just loose over the vent ... there are several masks that come with a mesh over the vent.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual