Sister in Laws Therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dog Slobber

Sister in Laws Therapy

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:52 am

In the Spring, Mrs. Dog Slobber and her sister went on camping trip in their popup tent trailer.

When she got back, she shared with me how much her sister snored and stopped breathing for noticeable periods of time. Symptoms she saw with me prior to being diagnosed with OSA and being put on CPAP. She talked to her about OSA and asked me to talk more with her.

We got together, discussed OSA, CPAP, and how APAP (A.S. 10 AutoSet for Her) works. We decided to let her try my spare AutoSet for Her for few days and see what the graphs say.

She is in the medical industry, an x-ray/ultasound technologist, is supportive of patients being active in the care and was very accommodating to trying it out. I explained that APAPs were't the best tool for diagnosing Sleep Apnea and that lack of events does not mean that one doesn't have Sleep Apnea, but with treatment and if Events show we might be able to determine that she might have Sleep Apnea. Of course, a Sleep Study is the definitive way of diagnosing Sleep Apnea.

I set her up with my spare device, she used it for a few nights, we looked at her graphs and sure enough, with treatment, her AHI ranged from 1.0 to 1.7.

She was a little anxious about too much pressure and still is, so we limited her max 9cm.

Here are a couple nights from her first week back in April.
D_therapy_1.png

She set up an appointment for a Sleep Study, scheduled for the end of August.

Over the next few months, I've increased her minimum and maximum, but she is still anxious about too much pressure and wanted to keep it at 7.4 - 10.2. I still believe we should increase it, but her numbers are good and she's sleeping well.

She will be using the same Sleep Clinic and DME I used. I also suggested that for 2-3 days prior to the Sleep Study, she not use CPAP, as I can recall Pugsy stating that for some, they might experience a lasting effect for a couple days after therapy with lower AHI. I don't want her AHI to be artificially low during her sleep study.

Here are her graphs for the last couple days:
D_Therapy_2.png

Summary:
  • Female
  • Slightly overweight
  • 55 Years old
  • AHI: 0.88 (over last month)
  • Pressure: 7.4 - 10.2
  • ResMed A.S. 10 AutoSet for Her
  • ResMed AirFit n30i
  • Adjusting well to therapy, sleeping through the night

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts, suggestions and questions. I'll update on the results of her Sleep Study as well.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbud

Re: Sister in Laws Therapy

Post by jimbud » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:03 am

In the Spring, Mrs. Dog Slobber and her sister went on camping trip in their popup tent trailer.

I am sorry for butting in,but I nearly fell in the floor when I read this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are one funny guy. :D

Sorry for the interruption and will now leave quietly. :)
JPB

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:13 am

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I see no reason to change anything.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:52 am
I still believe we should increase it, but her numbers are good and she's sleeping well.
I like to run my max at 20.0 even though it never gets near there. However, SIL's stats, even at 9.0 max, are so good I wouldn't worry about a higher max.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to click on the Events tab to see if there are any very long apneas.

It's great what you are doing for your family. When you are in prison for practicing medicine without a license, I'll send you plenty of reading material. :wink:

BTW, SIL and you are a good example of why CPAP should be available at the big-box stores OTC.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:21 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:10 pm

BTW, SIL and you are a good example of why CPAP should be available at the big-box stores OTC.
but,but, but....people can kill themselves with cpap!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:52 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:10 pm
I like to run my max at 20.0 even though it never gets near there. However, SIL's stats, even at 9.0 max, are so good I wouldn't worry about a higher max.
I should have made it more clear that her last set of charts were at 7.4 - 10.2 and she's only grazed 10.2 a couple times.

I agree, I explained to her that the machine will only go where it needs to go, when it needs to. But, she was apprehensive so we left it there.

Today, we talked about her up and coming Sleep Study. She's not going to share with them, our pre-diagnosis treatment. And just let them do their thing.

It's the same Sleep Clinic and DME I went to, I told her they would probably titrate her at 7-14 as they did me. In anticipation we may want to increase her Max Pressure. She agreed so, we're going to raise it.

Today we moved it to 7.6 - 10.4.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to click on the Events tab to see if there are any very long apneas.
TY

Some previous charts
Last chart, AHI 1.16:
  • Five OSA - at 15, 18, 13, 10, 13 seconds
    Two CA - at 11, 13 seconds
Previous chart, AHI 1.16:
  • Two OSA - at 14, 10 seconds
    Two CA - 16, 14
Previous chart, AHI - 0.53:
  • Five OSA - at 10, 15, 10, 19, 15 seconds
    There CA 0 at 13, 13, 10 seconds
I went through her many more nights, most fall between 10 and 19 seconds, but I did find one that lasted 100 seconds. It was fairly soon after turning the machine on and appeared just as the machine was turning off Auto-Ramp, so it might have been transitional.

It's great what you are doing for your family. When you are in prison for practicing medicine without a license, I'll send you plenty of reading material. :wink:

Do they let us bring our CPAP to the Big House?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:42 pm

jimbud wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:03 am

I am sorry for butting in,but I nearly fell in the floor when I read this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It'd have been more funny if they'd been in a pup tent...

But, really, Mrs DogSlobber is no more unusual than Mr Pugsy, the truck driver.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:42 pm
jimbud wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: pup tent, yes!

Is not Mrs. Pugsy a truck driver too?
The trouble making one ton diesel. :(
JPB

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 pm

jimbud wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm
palerider wrote:
jimbud wrote:

JPB
Well, yes, yes she is... whereas Mr Pugsy is a SEMItruck driver. I always thought that was a funny thing to call 'em, "semi" means .... part of.. less than a whole... but the semi trucks are bigger than the non semi-trucks.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:34 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 pm
jimbud wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm
palerider wrote:
jimbud wrote:

JPB
Well, yes, yes she is... whereas Mr Pugsy is a SEMItruck driver. I always thought that was a funny thing to call 'em, "semi" means .... part of.. less than a whole... but the semi trucks are bigger than the non semi-trucks.
:lol: You too are a funny guy. And make a good point doing it! :wink:
JPB

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am

palerider wrote:
a SEMItruck driver. I always thought that was a funny thing to call 'em, "semi" means .... part of.. less than a whole... but the semi trucks are bigger than the non semi-trucks.
It pulls a "semi". A semi-trailer is semi-supported (half supported) by its own wheels, which support only the rear of the trailer.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:09 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am
palerider wrote:
a SEMItruck driver. I always thought that was a funny thing to call 'em, "semi" means .... part of.. less than a whole... but the semi trucks are bigger than the non semi-trucks.
It pulls a "semi". A semi-trailer is semi-supported (half supported) by its own wheels, which support only the rear of the trailer.
Then that would make him a semi-trailer pulling truck (sometimes called a tractor) driver.
Then it follows that if Mrs. Pugsy hooked some type semi-trailer (horse, utility, ect.) to her troublesome one ton diesel she would be a semi-trailer pulling truck (sometimes called a tractor) driver. (Mr. Pugsy's truck is still the larger of the two.)
Is it not wonderful how, when the three of us pull together we make all of this make sense. :roll:
JPB

By the way.

How many unrelated posts to a thread constitute a "highjacking" of said thread?
I think I may be guilty.

They made me do it!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 pm

jimbud wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:09 am
I think I may be guilty.

They made me do it!
Oh, you're guilty all right... we're still working out "of what". :D

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Pronounced "seh-MI"

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:57 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:22 pm
Pronounced "seh-MI"
Not seh-er? :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire