DC Travel CPAP/Battery for One Week Trek

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CardiacProtest

DC Travel CPAP/Battery for One Week Trek

Post by CardiacProtest » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Note: Solar panels are not likely to work in the Highlands of Scotland so I'm ok with carrying two light batteries and limiting use to 6 hours a night.

What is the best setup (travel CPAP, battery(s), DC adaptor) for a weeklong trek where I use a DC CPAP on a battery each night? There are so many options and no batteries give a good sense of how long they will actually work with a DC adaptor for a particular model. I've seen what look like good Li ion batteries that weigh under 2 pounds, and as I'll be carrying them in my pack, weight is an important factor.

Thanks!

CapnLoki

Re: DC Travel CPAP/Battery for One Week Trek

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:10 pm

CardiacProtest wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:30 pm
Note: Solar panels are not likely to work in the Highlands of Scotland so I'm ok with carrying two light batteries and limiting use to 6 hours a night.

What is the best setup (travel CPAP, battery(s), DC adaptor) for a weeklong trek where I use a DC CPAP on a battery each night? There are so many options and no batteries give a good sense of how long they will actually work with a DC adaptor for a particular model. I've seen what look like good Li ion batteries that weigh under 2 pounds, and as I'll be carrying them in my pack, weight is an important factor.

Thanks!
There is a thread describing custom packs used for an ascent of Kilimanjaro:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=172420&p=1261222&hi ... o#p1261222,

It would help a lot if you described what your pump is, what pressure you use, and whether you'll be able to charge at all during the trip. A full week will be a challenge - I'm guessing you'll need three packs of the size certified for airline travel.

There's much info in the thread listed in my sig.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:06 am

My at-home machine is an Airsense 10 Autoset, but for travel I have a Resmed Airstart. For camping with the Airstart, I initially bought a Freedom Travel Battery from cpap.com. At a fixed pressure of 14, I only get about 13 hours, so I recently purchased a Maxoak battery from Amazon. Again at fixed pressure of 14, I get 36 hours.

CardiacProtest

Post by CardiacProtest » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:06 pm

@CapnLoki I'm getting a travel CPAP that can use DC power, so I haven't decided which one. Something light and cost effective. My pressure is 11cm. Thanks for the link!

@Hopeful50 Which Maxoak? How heavy?