CPAP and a cold

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Becksta

CPAP and a cold

Post by Becksta » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 am

This last few days I have developed a cold, started with a bit of a cough and is developing into a good hack with some phlegm. I am struggling with my machine, as the minute I start coughing I just want to tear it off. Any ideas on how to manage this?
Thanks 😊

palerider

Re: CPAP and a cold

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am

Becksta wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 am
This last few days I have developed a cold, started with a bit of a cough and is developing into a good hack with some phlegm. I am struggling with my machine, as the minute I start coughing I just want to tear it off. Any ideas on how to manage this?
Thanks 😊
When I get the rare head/chest cold with cpap, I do whatever I need to in order to open up my nose (since I've been using a nasal mask for years now) including saline rinse, afrin (only at night so as not to become dependent), decongestants, and guifenisen to loosen up the crud.

Then I turn up the humidity (usually don't use any at all in the cpap) and that seems to help loosen crud.

IOW, I sleep better with the cpap, and usually feel better with it on than I do without it during the day.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Carlitosbaby

Post by Carlitosbaby » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:06 am

I started cpap in march im a newbie and suffer from cronic allergies as previous person said i do whatever i can to make sure my nose is clear before bed. After cpap on with humidifier at 3 and hose at 4 i sleep like a baby even with a cold. Before cpap i took nyquil used vicks etc at night with allergies now i wish i could walk around with my cpap lol.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:20 am

I normally don't use my humidifier at all. When I get bad sinuses or a cold I use the humidifier and crank it up real high.

Sheriff

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am

I second (third?) Palerider's advice. Do what you can to manage cold symptoms then wear a mask anyway (if I use both Afrin and decongestants (e.g., loratidine), I can still use nasal pillows). If I have a cough I tend to use a cough remedy and a decongestant (this is the one situation in which I use Nyquil - which relies on the interactions among antihistamine, cough suppressant, and alcohol to make you drowsy) - sometimes this is more problematic than nasal congestion and I sleep sitting in a recliner without CPAP (in that case, my sleep really sucks), but usually I can calm down the cough enough to use CPAP after cranking up the humidification. Some people find they have better success with full face masks in these situations - but those have never really worked for me.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:44 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am
I do whatever I need to in order to open up my nose (since I've been using a nasal mask for years now) including saline rinse, afrin (only at night so as not to become dependent), decongestants, and guifenisen to loosen up the crud.
Ditto.

The good news, Becksta, if you are able to use your CPAP with a cold, the cold will likely be less severe and shorter lived. At least, that has been the case for Gramps and me.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:13 pm

"Afrin (only at night so as not to become dependent)"

I have wondered a couple of times if this true. I can count on one hand, one finger actually, the number of times that I have used Afrin for many years. If only at night (basically 1/2 of a daily dose) reduces the risk of rebound congestion, I would feel more comfortable using it. However, so far anyway, colds have not really caused much of a problem at night and I use a pillow mask.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:32 pm

sptrout wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:13 pm
If only at night (basically 1/2 of a daily dose) reduces the risk of rebound congestion, I would feel more comfortable using it.
I can use Afrin (oxymetazoline hydrochloride) at night for four or five nights and then quit cold turkey without any rebound congestion.

But, here's the deal. If you use it for a longer time/twice-a-day dosage and get rebound congestion, use it in one nostril for two or three days and breathe out of the other nostril. When the untreated nostril is clear of rebound congestion, discontinue Afrin use in the other nostril. In two or three days you should have two clear nostrils.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm

sptrout wrote:

I have wondered a couple of times if this true. I can count on one hand, one finger actually, the number of times that I have used Afrin for many years. If only at night (basically 1/2 of a daily dose) reduces the risk of rebound congestion, I would feel more comfortable using it. However, so far anyway, colds have not really caused much of a problem at night and I use a pillow mask.
The "only use it at night" was told to me by a freshly minted ENT who graduated at the top of her class... She was right, I've used it for a few weeks and stopped without any problems... (She said "up to a month")

Only using it half the time gives your nose time to recover, apparently.

If you do, somehow, get dependent... Then what granny said.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:09 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm
sptrout wrote:

The "only use it at night" was told to me by a freshly minted ENT who graduated at the top of her class... She was right, I've used it for a few weeks and stopped without any problems... (She said "up to a month")

Only using it half the time gives your nose time to recover, apparently.

If you do, somehow, get dependent... Then what granny said.
I'd also like to add that using Afrin with a corticosteroid, such as Flonase, reduces the dependance on Afrin and increases its effectiveness for many.

Becksta

Post by Becksta » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks for the advice, the cold is getting better quicker than I thought so shouldn’t be too much of an issue going forwards. Now I just have to try getting back into routine as I have been travelling overseas for 5 weeks and my settings are all over the place, what with different weather, humidity and temps! Only got my machine two weeks before the holiday, so it has been a somewhat steep curve...

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks all for your answers; a lot of good information. As I mentioned before, I have not had a need for any for a long time. That said, I better get to the drug store and buy some; probably will need before weeks end LOL.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Becksta wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 pm
I have been travelling overseas for 5 weeks
Aha! https://www.skyscanner.com.au/news/flig ... -stay-well

Sorry.