Manometer results

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CdrRayJ

Manometer results

Post by CdrRayJ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:00 am

I have an AirSense 10 Autoset. The pressure is set at 14. I have the ramp function off. When I turn on the machine the gage quickly ramps up to 14. Today I put an manometer on the the outflow side and it reads a steady pressure of 10.6. There is a relief (?) hole that blows air. If I put my fingered over that hole, the pressure increases. Is this a normal result for normal functioning machine?

Julie

Re: Manometer results

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 am

The 'hole' that 'blows air' is so that CO2 can be vented out on exhalation - never cover it. And what you saw means that while your setting is at 14, you never needed more than 10 last night... though that can change of course (tonight, next week, etc).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:11 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 am
what you saw means that while your setting is at 14, you never needed more than 10 last night
And you know this how?
Are you aware that the manometer result has absolutely nothing to do with what the machine may or may not need to do each night and everything to do with is the machine delivering whatever pressure it is set at?

Calibration is off if the setting is for 14 cm pressure and it's only delivering 10.6. A little variance is allowed but not that much.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 am

Do you have the delayed ramp set to off on your CPAP machine?
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 am

Julie wrote:
The 'hole' that 'blows air' is so that CO2 can be vented out on exhalation - never cover it.
OMIGOSH, you are talking about a mask, when he is asking about a manometer. :x :x

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:20 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:11 am
Julie wrote:
what you saw means that while your setting is at 14, you never needed more than 10 last night
And you know this how?
Are you aware that the manometer result has absolutely nothing to do with what the machine may or may not need to do each night and everything to do with is the machine delivering whatever pressure it is set at?

Calibration is off if the setting is for 14 cm pressure and it's only delivering 10.6. A little variance is allowed but not that much.
Either the Manometer or the XPAP, also when testing the XPAP with a Manometer, a Leak Level needs to be in the mix to insure the machine can meet the specs at working levels. This is done by a hole to vent some pressure out before the Manometer gets it's reading. I saw this somewhere in the past but have lost where.

Just because a Manometer reads pressure, does not mean the machine is preforming at it's rated specs. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CdrRayJ

Post by CdrRayJ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am

Julie wrote:
The 'hole' that 'blows air' is so that CO2 can be vented out on exhalation - never cover it. And what you saw means that while your setting is at 14, you never needed more than 10 last night... though that can change of course (tonight, next week, etc).
n my post I am talking about a manometer, not my mask. I've attached the meter to the outflow end of the hose in place of the mask in order to read the pressure being delivered. The manometer also has that relief hole, but it is not connected to breathing. My problem is I have borrowed the machine without the instruction booklet.

Thanks for weighing in.

CdrRayJ

Post by CdrRayJ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:41 am

Goofproof wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:20 am
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:11 am
Julie wrote:
Jim,
Thanks for the input. The reason for the original post is my suspicion that the machine calibration if off. My mask never entered this equation. I'll need to get the machine it to the local DME for a check. My online DME is of little help. Your calibration comment seems logical to me.

Ray
And you know this how?

Either the Manometer or the XPAP, also when testing the XPAP with a Manometer, a Leak Level needs to be in the mix to insure the machine can meet the specs at working levels. This is done by a hole to vent some pressure out before the Manometer gets it's reading. I saw this somewhere in the past but have lost where.

Just because a Manometer reads pressure, does not mean the machine is preforming at it's rated specs. Jim

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:43 am

Julie wrote:
This is completely and totally wrong.

Julie is ASSuming that the 'vent hole' is part of a mask, could be a manometer fitting with the *required vent*.

Also, that reading was on the manometer, not from the machine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am

CdrRayJ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:00 am
I have an AirSense 10 Autoset. The pressure is set at 14. I have the ramp function off. When I turn on the machine the gage quickly ramps up to 14. Today I put an manometer on the the outflow side and it reads a steady pressure of 10.6. There is a relief (?) hole that blows air. If I put my fingered over that hole, the pressure increases. Is this a normal result for normal functioning machine?
how much does it increase when you block the vent?

Is your filter clean?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:50 am

CdrRayJ wrote:
CdrRayJ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am
Julie wrote:
n my post I am talking about a manometer, not my mask. I've attached the meter to the outflow end of the hose in place of the mask in order to read the pressure being delivered. The manometer also has that relief hole, but it is not connected to breathing. My problem is I have borrowed the machine without the instruction booklet.

Thanks for weighing in.
Your posts are very confusing.
Does the manometer you're using look like this one? (I'm familiar with this one because I have one and use it periodically to check my machines)

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/guage- ... r-pressure

I'm not sure what you mean by a "relief hole", but if there is an air leak (somewhere in the circuit), it must be plugged to get an accurate reading.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

CdrRayJ

Post by CdrRayJ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:02 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am
CdrRayJ wrote:
The pressure is steady at 10.6on the manometer. When I block the “relief” hole it stays at 10.6. When I take my figure off the hole it ramps up to 13.5 before settling back at 10.6. ????

Ray
how much does it increase when you block the vent?

Is your filter clean?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Is the Autoset you're using set for a FIXED pressure of 14 or is it set for a range of pressures like 10.6 minimum and 14 maximum?

If you need the manual for the CPAP machine, here's a link to download one.

https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Sorry, brain f..t, but do you think you can round up even more of you to make sure I get the message? Just in case?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Den, is that piece of your Manometer, that the guage, (It looks to me like a clear adapter with a small fitting for the manometer to hook to). If it is is the big hole thru it restricted (A 4 MM to 8 MM sized hole) not full open diameter.

If it is full open, the test would not be correct. To be correct the mask vent rate needs to be in the circuit, that can be made by restricting the flow with the correct hole size in a plug, restricting the flow downstream from the gauge line or hooking another XPAP hose and your mask on the adapter, then wearing the mask. The first method would be more correct, if I knew the correct size to make the hole, but as I said I lost the correct spec. That said the hose and mask would also work.

Putting the Manometer on the machine flow with the flow deadheaded (Blocked off), will show the pressure the XPAP is putting out, but it will NOT show the XPAPs ability to maintain that pressure, and also the needed flow volume for treatment. I wish I had not lost the spec for the test hole size but it's been 14 years, the mind is almost the first thing to go. :lol: Jim But not the Last!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire