CPAP noise advice needed - newbie

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ptero5

CPAP noise advice needed - newbie

Post by ptero5 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi there

I'm a newbie to CPAP. Recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnoea with an AHI of 47.0/hr and RDI 59.7/hr. I'm doing a 1 month trial. The machine I've been given is a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset. The mask I am trying out is the Resmed Airfit N30i. I'm generally a side sleeper but finding that I have to sleep on my back to get to sleep with this.

So far I am getting good results and feeling difference in head fogginess. My biggest problem is getting to sleep both at the start of the night, or back to sleep when I have to get up during the night. The noise really bugs me. How much of that is the machine versus the mask? I am conscious that there is air venting from both the top of my head and nose and I tend to breath more deeply when I am trying to get to sleep.

Any tips, thoughts, including other products I could try, would be awesome.

Pugsy

Re: CPAP noise advice needed - newbie

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 16, 2019 7:04 am

Welcome to the forum.
ptero5 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 pm
The noise really bugs me. How much of that is the machine versus the mask?
In all honesty I can't hear what you are hearing to be able to tell you where the noise is coming from.
In general though ResMed machines have minimal noise issues unless the person has a lemon.
Are you hearing the motor or is it more of the Darth Vadar breathing noise that you are hearing?

Here's a little test you can try to help determined where the nose is coming from.
Plug your ears with your finger tips and see if the noise level reduces, stays the same or increases.

There is a thing called conducted noise which can be highly annoying to some people...if when you put your fingers in your ears and the noise level either stays the same or increases....good chance you are dealing with conducting noise and there are some things you can do to reduce it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm

I've used a Dreamwear mask for 3 years, and decided to try the N30i when it became available in the US. I didn't like it for a couple of reasons - one being it was (for me) substantially noisier than the Dreamwear. The two masks are very similar - same basic design with a few differences. But I found the Dreamwear to be much quieter and more comfortable.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 am

Just some generic tips on noise when there is nothing "wrong" to be addressed...
Have white noise to offset it, like maybe a fan.
If the machine sounds loud (but not malfunctioning), sit it on something like a rubber mouse pad or a piece of non-skid under-rug rubber mesh.
Position the machine a bit lower than head level.
Don't sit the machine on a hollow table.
Place your hose in a manner to not touch hard surfaces without a buffer between.
If you seem to be hearing noise through your pillow, reposition hose.
Keep covers out of the path of vent stream.

As to difficulty falling asleep, that can be due to unfamiliar sensations and I don't know that one month will normalize the new sensations. However, your mention of breathing deep when trying to go to sleep makes me wonder if your starting pressure (or ramp pressure if you are using ramp) is too low for you to breathe comfortably enough to relax and fall asleep. A sensation of insufficient air will keep the brain on alert. That was a major issue for me the first few months of my treatment.

Thumper68

Post by Thumper68 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 am

Hopeful50 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm
I've used a Dreamwear mask for 3 years, and decided to try the N30i when it became available in the US. I didn't like it for a couple of reasons - one being it was (for me) substantially noisier than the Dreamwear. The two masks are very similar - same basic design with a few differences. But I found the Dreamwear to be much quieter and more comfortable.
I had the exact experience with the N30i. Found it much louder than my dreamwear.

ptero5

Post by ptero5 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 am

Hopeful50 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm
Thanks for this info. I'll look in to trying that out to compare.

ptero5

Post by ptero5 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:50 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:04 am
Welcome to the forum.
ptero5 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 pm
The noise really bugs me. How much of that is the machine versus the mask?
In all honesty I can't hear what you are hearing to be able to tell you where the noise is coming from.
In general though ResMed machines have minimal noise issues unless the person has a lemon.
Are you hearing the motor or is it more of the Darth Vadar breathing noise that you are hearing?

Here's a little test you can try to help determined where the nose is coming from.
Plug your ears with your finger tips and see if the noise level reduces, stays the same or increases.

There is a thing called conducted noise which can be highly annoying to some people...if when you put your fingers in your ears and the noise level either stays the same or increases....good chance you are dealing with conducting noise and there are some things you can do to reduce it.
This is really helpful. Thanks. The people I am trialing through have now increased my starting pressure and shortened ramp time which seems to be better.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat May 18, 2019 3:01 am

I'd suggest giving ear plugs a try...they may or may not help, depending on where the noise is coming from. I find them very useful, blocks out just about all the noise other than my own breathing, which doesn't keep me awake. The kind that I like are the ones that are foam that you compress, and then they expand in your ears, pretty comfortable for me.

Good luck. I'm a light sleeper, and understand noise issues *smile*. Keep trying different things and you'll find what works for you.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat May 18, 2019 9:53 pm

I use white noise. I have a cheaper version of sleep phones which are a polar fleece headband embedded with flat speakers.

I prefer podcasts (check out the podcast “Sleep with Me”). But you can Download any Type of white noise you prefer.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ptero5

Post by ptero5 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:53 pm
I use white noise. I have a cheaper version of sleep phones which are a polar fleece headband embedded with flat speakers.

I prefer podcasts (check out the podcast “Sleep with Me”). But you can Download any Type of white noise you prefer.
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.