Replacing filters

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Filigree3

Replacing filters

Post by Filigree3 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 am

How often do you replace the disposable filters? The machine says twice a month and the DME has already sent me a refill pack, but the original filter still looks clean. Should I replace it anyway?

Dog Slobber

Re: Replacing filters

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:39 am

Filigree3 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 am
How often do you replace the disposable filters? The machine says twice a month and the DME has already sent me a refill pack, but the original filter still looks clean. Should I replace it anyway?
My AirSense 10 manual says to change the filter every 6 months or as needed.

Your DME is lying to you so they can make more money. Tell them to read the instructions for the machines they are selling.
Airsense_10_Filterjpg.jpg

rileyrd22

Post by rileyrd22 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:40 am

For my Resmed 10, I change once a month. We do have cat but a month seems sufficient.

I guess it depends on your environment.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am

The DME schedule is designed to take money from your pocket, it doesn't necessarily have any basis in reality. Every once in a while, physically take a look at the filter. If it looks brand new, don't replace it.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:46 am

ResMed manuals actually say 6 months on the filter or sooner if needed.
Your DME has set the reminder schedule for supplies on the machine so that it just happens to coincide with what most insurance will pay for filters....so they can sell you more filters. Big surprise there.

I change mine once a month or so but I live out in the country on dusty road in an old farmhouse and I have pets...the filter gets a bit yucky looking after about a month. Other people who maybe don't live where I live and live in town with no dust flying around everywhere and no pets may not need to change the filter for several months.

PS...I would turn off those reminders the machine is giving you....and you decide when you want to change or replace something.

https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf
page 17 for the reminder menu options.

top of page 21 for the 6 month mention or sooner if needed for filter replacement mention.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Filigree3 wrote:
i replace them when they look dirty. i don't have a schedule. so i want to say thank you for bringing it up.

i must be time to at least look at mine....

8)
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:33 pm

I check the filters once a month and change them when they look dirty enough to worry about.We use the ultra fine filters which probably need to be changed more often since they trap more things. We both have seasonal allergies and I change them more often during the pollen season.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Filigree3 wrote:
The machine *manual* says 'every six months, or as needed.

If it looks dirty, replace it, if it doesn't, ignore your DME trying to get you to buy unnecessary things. And, the machine telling you to replace it? the DME programmed that... you can go into the clinical menu and delete that nag screen.

Your DME is greedy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Ancient house in dusty neighborhood.
I replace every 3 weeks, but they are hypoallergenic, which fill sooner.
I compare the old one with a new one, and the difference is noticeable.
Sometimes more than others.
Look at the old filter along side of a new one.
If you cannot tell the difference, keep using it.

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:26 am

I check mine maybe every 6 weeks (or whenever I remember, really). If the filter is dirty, I replace it. If it's still clean I leave it in.

-Paul.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:23 am

zonker wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:07 pm
Filigree3 wrote:
i replace them when they look dirty. i don't have a schedule. so i want to say thank you for bringing it up.

i must be time to at least look at mine....

8)

Raising hand. How many of us just went oh crud, I haven't checked in a while I should go look! :lol: :lol:

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am

I blow the filters out with compressed air monthly and replace at least quarterly.
We live above/beside a major transportation corridor so the filters are grey/black pdq.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:01 am

Jack Burton wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am
I blow the filters out with compressed air monthly and replace at least quarterly.
We live above/beside a major transportation corridor so the filters are grey/black pdq.
goodness! never thought of THAT. no air compressor to hand, but i do have canned air.

thanks for that.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SleepySunflower

Post by SleepySunflower » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:59 pm

I got my Resemed Airsense 10 For Her in January 2019. I have changed the disposable filter twice in six months although upon examination, the "old" filters looked exactly the same as the replacement filters. There was no discernible difference in color between the old and the new filters. I tried blowing through the old filter and saw no dust fly out.

My prior machine was a Respironics System One that had both a washable gray foam filter and a disposable white filter. The white filter would gradually become darker as dust was filtered out so I'd replace it with a new one. When the foam filter started to look dusty, I'd replace it with a clean one then wash the dirty filter. I could blow through the dirty foam filter and see dust fly out.

Since my Airsense 10 filters don't get dirty, I'm concerned that they don't filter the incoming air as well as my old Respironics filters. Is there anyone else whose Airsense 10 filters don't get dirty but your old CPAP machine's filters did?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:02 pm

SleepySunflower wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:59 pm
I got my Resemed Airsense 10 For Her in January 2019. I have changed the disposable filter twice in six months although upon examination, the "old" filters looked exactly the same as the replacement filters. There was no discernible difference in color between the old and the new filters. I tried blowing through the old filter and saw no dust fly out.

My prior machine was a Respironics System One that had both a washable gray foam filter and a disposable white filter. The white filter would gradually become darker as dust was filtered out so I'd replace it with a new one. When the foam filter started to look dusty, I'd replace it with a clean one then wash the dirty filter. I could blow through the dirty foam filter and see dust fly out.

Since my Airsense 10 filters don't get dirty, I'm concerned that they don't filter the incoming air as well as my old Respironics filters. Is there anyone else whose Airsense 10 filters don't get dirty but your old CPAP machine's filters did?
The Resmed filters are larger, so they don't get dirty as fast.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.