Not good sleep last night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nobody

Not good sleep last night

Post by nobody » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:32 am

I don't understand everything on these sleepy head charts. My AHI last night was 1.66 and I don't feel like I slept well. I didn't sleep enough hours and my dog kept waking me up. She doesn't normally sleep in the same room as me, but something had her spooked last night so she wanted to sleep in there. When I look at what is marked as OA events on sleepyhead, the times correspond with the times she woke me up. So were they truly OA events or was the machine confused by my waking up?

An interesting thing I'm noticing with this machine is my mask leaks a lot less. I'm not just basing this on the charts, but it actually feels like it has a better seal with this machine. It's the same mask and tubing as I used with my old machine. So that's strange but definitely welcome. The machine does breathe differently. I think it's much smoother than the old one.

Pugsy

Re: Not good sleep last night

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:10 am

Awake breathing is irregular when compared to asleep breathing. Sometimes just a little irregular and sometimes a lot irregular.
The machine doesn't know anything but air flow and "regular". Sometimes our awake/semi awake breathing can be irregular enough it sort of mimics an apnea even of some sort.. I have had it happen quite often and seen it happen in all event categories...not just someone thinking they paused their breathing and got a central flag.

You can put each flag under the microscope and look at the air flow up close breath by breath and learn to spot them if you wish.
Takes some time, education and lots of looking and experience.

I had a night a while back where my AHI was 3.4 which is unusually high for me so I took the time to look at each event up close and every single event flagged was awake or post arousal breathing flagged and I wasn't asleep. It wasn't just centrals either. It was a nice normal mix of a few centrals with mainly OAs and hyponeas. I used to think it was only the centrals that were false positives being flagged but that night I learned that it could happen in any event category.
It was just a really crappy night's sleep because of really bad back pain issues. I didn't sleep well and I had lots of remembered wake ups from tossing and turning and hurting. Crappy sleep but not from sleep apnea events.

If you want to learn how to try to figure out asleep vs awake or post arousal go here and watch the videos
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software
It's mainly talking about centrals because people get so concerned over cpap maybe causing centrals but just look at it with the mindset it can be any event category.
Also sometimes the flagged events are just "iffy" not always so easy to decide if real or not.
My night with AHI of 3.4 and I said every single one was not real....not an iffy one in the bunch. They were so blatantly awake or arousal related that just about anyone could have spotted it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nobody

Re: Not good sleep last night

Post by nobody » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 am

You are right. I didn't change anything on the machine and today I'm feeling much better. AHI is recorded as 0.45 and I only woke up once in the night.