Help me pick a new (lighter) machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RichInBunlyGoodness

Help me pick a new (lighter) machine

Post by RichInBunlyGoodness » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm

I've been using a Resmed S9 with humidifier for 5 years. It works fairly well for me. At home, I used it with the heated hose and humidifier. After the initial adjustment period, this has helped my sleep improve significantly. I recently broke the humidity chamber and can only use it without the humidity chamber and that means I can't use the heated hose.

The only caveat is that I like to go backpacking, and I like to keep my weight down. My lightest option weighs 2245 grams (about 5 lbs) and gets me three nights. The weight is as follows:

Grams
502 TalentCell YB12011000-USB Battery (Has 12V, 9V & USB output)
857 Resmed S9 Main unit
795 DC Converter
111 Hose + Mask

I also have a heavier battery that gets me 6 nights. That works for a kayak trip, but is too heavy for backpacking.

Since I just hit 5 years with the Resmed S9, my insurance will mostly cover a new unit. I don't know if it will pay for any machine I want, but I assume I can get something that will be lighter. I can sleep OK without the humidifier, esp in spring and fall. In winter, I experienced some rainout issues if I keep the temp as low as I would prefer in the bedroom, so my dumb temporary solution is to use an electric heater near my cpap to warm the air enough that it doesn't condense.

Looking at the cpap.com website, I notice they have the Resmed Airmini that weighs 0.66 pounds, so that would shave ~550 grams from the Resmed S9 Main Unit. What about DC converter for this unit? There ought to be some huge weight savings there as well if I can dump that brick. I'm not sure what the HumidX system is, but I'm willing to sacrifice some humidity on the home use system if that buys me lighter weight when I go mobile.

How low can I get on the Main cpap unit plus DC converter weight? That seems to be where I have the most potential weight savings.

By way of comparison, my existing cpap plus battery weighs almost as much as my backpack + hammock +tarp + underquilt + topquilt.

Goofproof

Re: Help me pick a new (lighter) machine

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:36 pm

Simple just read the posts here and break out your money, just don't expect it to last as long or not make more noise and have the same moisture quality. Lots of trade offs for a little less weight and size. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:56 pm

If you need a heated hose and humidifier, you will not like the travel machines. Unlikely that your insurance will pay for one. Better off using your S9 for travel and letting your insurance buy you a new Airsense 10 Autoset.

RichInBunlyGoodness

Post by RichInBunlyGoodness » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 pm

All else being equal, I'd take a a machine + DC converter that weighs less than 600 grams (and no humidifier/heat) over one that weighs 2200 grams and includes heat and humidifier. I've been doing without for about 4 months.

However, if the insurance won't pay for a travel machine, then that would influence my decision.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:36 pm

You need to check with your insurance first then.
My understanding is that travel machines like the Respironics DreamStation Go or the ResMed AirMini are NOT usually covered by insurance. We were never told why though...maybe it's just some insurance and not all insurance....you need to ask your insurance directly and then decide what you want to do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 pm

You can replace the chamber for $100 or the tank for $21.

If you want a new one, I suggest you get the "ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier."

You have a ResMed now and I don't recommend changing brands if you're happy with the current machine. The travel machines have no humidifier and do not support heated hoses (and they're noisier).

juaquin

Post by juaquin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:06 am

I would not recommend getting a travel machine to replace your main machine. Ideally you would get an Airsense 10 to replace your S9, and then separately look at a travel machines. This will probably happen anyway since most insurance won't cover travel machines.

None of the travel machines have good humidification. This is fine for a few nights for most people, but using it permanently would be not good for most of us. They're also loud - I found the Dreamstation Go to be the quietest, but it's still significantly louder than the Airsense 10.

iamsleepynow

Post by iamsleepynow » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:36 pm
You need to check with your insurance first then.
My understanding is that travel machines like the Respironics DreamStation Go or the ResMed AirMini are NOT usually covered by insurance. We were never told why though...maybe it's just some insurance and not all insurance....you need to ask your insurance directly and then decide what you want to do.
I confirmed yesterday with my insurance about why they will not cover a travel device. They said it's considered a convenience item vs necessity. In fact, my script for a travel device says clearly the device is for 'travel'.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I suggest your exercise/conditioning program concentrate on WEIGHT TRAINING.
Too many folks do aerobics only, while anaerobics will make you stronger and improve your metabolism.

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:01 pm

I would consider a HDM Z1 or Z2, both of which are 12 volt machines, and weigh almost nothing, and use regular masks and hoses. By using a 12 volt machine, you can eliminate the bulky heavy power converter if your battery outputs 12V. Yes, they are noisy machines relative to the S9, and that might be even worse in the great outdoors where it is super quiet, but you can't beat the weight and size of these machines. The battery and cpap would be under 2 lbs. Also, the Respironics line is mostly 12 volts as well.

I'd keep your S9 as a home machine and just buy a new humidifier tank assuming that's what you broke.