Cleaning the Resmed S9 Autoset?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
crookneez

Cleaning the Resmed S9 Autoset?

Post by crookneez » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Hello all, I have a conundrum...

In recent years I've developed a recurring chest infection (bronchitis). It will hang on for 5-6 weeks then slowly improves but typically returns within months. I've seen my GP and I've been on antibiotics, cortisone and pretty much everything else in an attempt to knock it on the head. I was due to have a hip replacement recently but the op was called off due to the state of my chest.

Now what's all this doing on a CPAP forum you might ask. Well I have had a Resmed S9 Autoset for about 8 years now and it's never been repaired or been in for professional maintenance. I change the filter in the rear and clean around the inlet about 3 or 4 times per year but internally it's never been cleaned. Being at my wits end about the allergy like condition that develops with the bronchitis (stuffy nose, scratchy eyes etc.) I was wondering if it might be possible some nasty bacteria might have built up inside the S9. Has anyone heard of anything like that?

The other thing is that I rarely clean the main hose that feeds the headset tubing, is that a problem? I clean the P10 nasal pillow daily and the headset every couple of weeks? I'm probably clutching at straws with this and it's probably not related to my chest problem at all but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks and Happy New year.

Julie

Re: Cleaning the Resmed S9 Autoset?

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi, sorry about your problems - hope you find an answer. First - there is nothing to 'clean' inside your machine and nothing there that would contribute to your ongoing trouble. Really. Very many of us haven't cleaned our hoses for years, decades even, so unless you see something obvious inside, relax.

The thing however, is that these machines usually are considered replaceable by the insce. co's (at least in the U.S.) after 5 yrs, tho' may last twice as long... but yours may be ready for recycling now and at best might be kept as a backup.

Speaking of straws, however, are you using your humidifier at a high setting (or even using it at all) when your local climate may be humid enough not to need as much or as high a setting and possibly contributing to (not necessarily causing) your resp. problems? I rarely use mine at all, others only for parts of the year, and if I were to use it when not needed, I would develop congestion, etc. Maybe something to consider depending on where you live. btw - any chance of mould in your home - it can certainly cause your problems too.
Last edited by Julie on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:14 pm

crookneez wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 pm
\. Well I have had a Resmed S9 Autoset for about 8 years now and it's never been repaired or been in for professional maintenance. I change the filter in the rear and clean around the inlet about 3 or 4 times per year but internally it's never been cleaned. Being at my wits end about the allergy like condition that develops with the bronchitis (stuffy nose, scratchy eyes etc.) I was wondering if it might be possible some nasty bacteria might have built up inside the S9. Has anyone heard of anything like that?
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've been in the S9, there's nothing in there that would encourage bacteria to grow on... a little foam, a lot of hard plastics, and some silicone. In short, nothing that needs cleaning.

If you want to go ahead and take it apart, though: https://imgur.com/a/S0ojG

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

crookneez

Post by crookneez » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Julie wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 pm
The thing however, is that these machines usually are considered replaceable by the insce. co's (at least in the U.S.) after 5 yrs, tho' may last twice as long... but yours may be ready for recycling now and at best might be kept as a backup.

Speaking of straws, however, are you using your humidifier at a high setting (or even using it at all) when your local climate may be humid enough not to need as much or as high a setting and possibly contributing to (not necessarily causing) your resp. problems? I rarely use mine at all, others only for parts of the year, and if I were to use it when not needed, I would develop congestion, etc. Maybe something to consider depending on where you live. btw - any chance of mould in your home - it can certainly cause your problems too.
Thanks Julie (and palerider), I guessed as much about internal cleaning. The S9 doesn't seem to be designed to be opened so I assumed... "
Mine might even be older than 8 years, I can't remember. I've considered replacing it but I don't like the look of the newer machines. I definitely don't want the S10 with the built in humidifier. For traveling the S9 without humidifier is perfect.
Julie, I never use the humidifier. It has never been used since the day I got the machine and I don't seem to have a problem with it.

Back to the drawing board i guess. :(

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:52 pm

crookneez wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm
Mine might even be older than 8 years, I can't remember. I've considered replacing it but I don't like the look of the newer machines. I definitely don't want the S10 with the built in humidifier. For traveling the S9 without humidifier is perfect.
Julie, I never use the humidifier. It has never been used since the day I got the machine and I don't seem to have a problem with it.

The S9 series started coming out in early 2010, fwiw.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

crookneez

Post by crookneez » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:52 pm
crookneez wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm

The S9 series started coming out in early 2010, fwiw.
Okay, thanks Palerider.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:07 am

This is probably a long shot, but is there any chance you are being exposed to a chemical that is causing you to get sick? Have you seen any pattern to when you get sick?

I started cpap in April of 2012. In June, I got sick for a few weeks. Then I got sick in July, and the cough lasted 2 months. I was very frustrated,and my doctor was useless. All she did was prescribe cough syrup with codeine. I was coughing day and night. Then I got sick again in October. My dad commented that I got sick after every cat show (I photograph cats, and I was also showing a cat in the household pet class for fun). I responded not ALL the cat shows and listed the ones where I did not get sick. I then realized those were all shows where I rode with somebody else and did not take the family van. Hmm. The van had a chemical spill (liquid fertilizer) that smelled icky. When was that? May. My dad cleaned it up, but the stuff had gone under the passenger seat. Every time I went for a road trip in the van, I came home sick. My dad removed the chair and deep cleaned it. I never got sick after a trip again. That van became MY van in 2014. I drive it everyday.

Anyway, it took awhile to figure out the pattern and realize that I was reacting to a chemical spill that we thought we had cleaned up. Even though I couldn't smell it anymore, I was still very sensitive to it.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:53 am

There is a side cover for the S10 series for when you do not want to use the humidifier. It makes the machine more compact for traveling too.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... side-cover

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:26 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:53 am
There is a side cover for the S10 series for when you do not want to use the humidifier. It makes the machine more compact for traveling too.

I don't see any mention of an S10 in the post

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 am

You didn’t refer to your mask. How often do you clean your mask and what method do you use to clean it?

Sheriff

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm

LSAT wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:26 am
prodigyplace wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:53 am

I don't see any mention of an S10 in the post
Here is a quote from their second post.
I've considered replacing it but I don't like the look of the newer machines. I definitely don't want the S10 with the built in humidifier. For traveling the S9 without humidifier is perfect.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:01 pm

There's no such thing as a Resmed S10.

caroldo

Post by caroldo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:45 pm

I have an S9 Resmed. I weekly run a basin of hot water and a bit of Dawn detergent and put the hose and all parts of my mask as well as the water receptacle for the humidifier in it and soak it for a while. I then thoroughly rinse all in cool water. I hang the hose to dry and lay the rest to dry on a clean towel. I do have a second hose and mask so I can interchange them. I change the filter about once a month. I wash the nose piece (I use Dreamwear undermost cushion) EVERY DAY, and if I forget I use CPAP wipes. I have COPD so try and be careful not to get a URI.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:24 pm

caroldo wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:45 pm
<snip>
I wash the nose piece (I use Dreamwear undermost cushion) EVERY DAY, and if I forget I use CPAP wipes. I have COPD so try and be careful not to get a URI.
if i may be so bold as to make a suggestion? unscented baby wipe will do the same cleaning as specific cpap wipes and are cheaper.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg