OT...it's holiday scammer time so be careful

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

OT...it's holiday scammer time so be careful

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:00 am

Lots of scammers out there and most of you already know to be cautious with the unsolicited phone calls wanting something but just wanted to remind everyone.
I just got one from the IRS... :lol:
It came from Jamaica. Spoke perfect English...he was good.

Yesterday I got one from some yahoo wanting money for the local policeman's fund...it was a blocked number so I don't know where it was from but heavy foreign accent was a bit of a clue.

There was a warning yesterday on our local news of scammers calling up people and claiming to be the police and a family member was in jail and wants you to send money to bail them out. I haven't got one of those yet. If I do they will probably get a not so nice earful like the guy from the "IRS" just got.
Be extra careful and if you have elderly parents...warn them. They are often too trusting....I know my own mom is.
Grandma Mary might just want to send some money to get grandson out of jail and not know it was a scam and might not realize that the scammer doesn't know the grandson's name.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

prodigyplace

Re: OT...it's holiday scammer time so be careful

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:03 am

I also heard of those who say they are investigating a company for credit card fraud and saw a transaction on your account. They say you can call the toll-free number on your card with any questions.

They verify some of your personal information but say they need to verify you have the card in your possession so they ask for the digits on the back.

They then charge to your card with that code . Those fraud charges are much harder to dispute. Be very careful.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 am

I got one of those credit card calls just last week...for a credit card we don't even own. :lol:
Also been getting a few really good spoofs in the email for stuff. One actually was from a bank I do business with (most aren't) and it looked real until I went to the address it wanted me to go to and give all my information.
I always back out and go to my real bank website that I always use to see if there is a problem...never is.

Got one from "PayPal" about a month ago...said I couldn't access my account due to a questionable purchase showing up and they needed my password verification to release the locked account....so I closed the email and immediately went to PayPal and guess what...I wasn't locked out at all. I didn't even go to the nice helpful link they provided. :lol:
It looked real though...these frauds are good and real looking.
I hadn't used PayPal in weeks and there was no recent purchase.

I don't trust any of them...even if I get a real notice from my bank or credit card I don't do anything and always go back and log in from my own link.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

clenchingtobreathe

Post by clenchingtobreathe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:28 am

I keep getting calls that say I have outstanding criminal charges against me and that my home is being watched by the police and I need to call right now :shock: :lol: ! Well, whoever is watching my home is going to die of complete and absolute BOREDOM, so I'm not too worried! :lol: :lol: :roll: Maybe one day, I'll go charging outside wearing my CPAP mask and REALLY give them something to watch!!

I just feel sorry for the folks out there who fall for this stuff. The IRS one you're talking about, Pugsy, happened to my little 100 yr old Mom a year ago and scared her to pieces. My bro-in-law went over, called the number and, in NO uncertain terms, let the little creep who answered know that if it ever happened again, he would, personally, hunt him down and make him sorry. Hasn't happened since.... :)

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 am

clenchingtobreathe wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:28 am
Maybe one day, I'll go charging outside wearing my CPAP mask and REALLY give them something to watch!!
:lol:
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 am

I always try to block the offending phone number but don't always get it done immediately.
The guy today...was the same guy that called me about 2 weeks ago...and when that call happened I didn't get to immediately block it...the asshole called me right back and asked me why I hung up on him. :lol:
So today was a new number...and I got it blocked within about 5 seconds...and he didn't call back...or maybe he was still in shock because I told him he was full of shit right before I hung up on him.
Next time he calls with a new number he will likely get a version of the F bomb.

clenchingtobreathe

Post by clenchingtobreathe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 am

So today was a new number...and I got it blocked within about 5 seconds...and he didn't call back...or maybe he was still in shock because I told him he was full of shit right before I hung up on him.
Next time he calls with a new number he will likely get a version of the F bomb.
I only have a cell phone now. My landline was so bothered by junk calls, I got tired of trying to block numbers because these guys have a zillion numbers that keep rolling & dialing. I have all numbers in my cell associated with names, so if I get a call from a number not related to any of those, I NEVER answer! A few leave robo messages but not many.

Have you decided which version of the f-bomb you will drop on him??? :lol:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:06 pm

clenchingtobreathe wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 am
Have you decided which version of the f-bomb you will drop on him??? :lol:
I only have a cell phone also but I was expecting a call from someone that I don't have in my contact list yet...first time caller and that's why I answered this one. Didn't see the Jamaica thing until I blocked it....all I initially saw was a number that had no name.

What version of the F bomb...most likely a nice mix of some pretty nasty words to be coming out of a supposedly ladies' mouth.
I do have a potty mouth.
By the way...he identifies himself as Michael James which means nothing of course. Consistently which I suppose is to help with the IRS credibility thing.
Hubby got one last Sunday from him...hubby's response was (and I will edit it just a bit an you can fill in the blanks) "you are full of effing bullshit Michael...go f...k yourself and go to hell and quit bothering me".... then he hung up on him. He didn't call back and we didn't block the number...with his flip phone its a bigger task to block numbers and my hubby told me not to bother....that he is happy to tell Michael to go f..k himself every time he calls....says it breaks up the boredom of driving the truck.

I am sure that Michael doesn't give a crap and is used to it and probably laughs his ass off when people spew profanities at him...I am sure not the first time and won't be the last but it makes me feel better doing it.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Yesterday we got 5 calls on our landline - from my name with my phone number (yes, me) on the caller ID.

Didn't pick up, this has happened before, just not multiple times throughout the day.

I am left to wonder who else I am calling?!?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 pm

It has gotten to the point we don't answer the phone unless we recognize the number or name of the person calling. We have caller ID and answering machine will announce their name. We figure they will leave a message if it is important. If they do leave a message, we are only answer those calls from people we know. Our son in law is a police officer and does computer forensics for the department. He keeps posted on internet scams going around.

We have also gotten several calls from our own number. Needless to say, we never answer those since I have not figured out a way to call my own number.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

msla

Post by msla » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Also, they are spoofing so the call looks like it is from a phone in your area code. Years ago we got calls from Florida wanting to sell extension cords for our construction business. I hung up on him. Phone rang again, this time my wife answered and received a "F*** **u" in her ear. After that I unload on these low lives with both barrels. Some times they are confused when I answer in Norwegian. :twisted:

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

clenchingtobreathe

Post by clenchingtobreathe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:55 pm

[/quote]

I am sure that Michael doesn't give a crap and is used to it and probably laughs his ass off when people spew profanities at him...I am sure not the first time and won't be the last but it makes me feel better doing it.
[/quote]

I SO hear that! My mouth leans toward the potty variety more and more as a senior citizen. Even my kids get surprised now and then! :lol: Give him Hell! We NEED some entertainment in our lives!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Depends a lot on how well I slept last night in what I might do.
The other day I got something or someone doing something that wasn't legit...and instead of unloading on them I sat the phone down and got a whistle I had on the table and gave them an earful of the whistle. It was a live person and not a robo call I was feeling particularly annoyingly mischievous that day.
Sometimes I just set the phone down and go on my way and tie up their phone line for a little while.
Sometimes I just hang up and never say a word....this is when I pick up the call but don't say anything and I am waiting for them to say something first and of course they don't.
Depends on my mood and how much I want to yank their chain.

The one this morning...cut him off quick because I was expecting and wanting that other call.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 pm

We have also gotten several calls from our own number. Needless to say, we never answer those since I have not figured out a way to call my own number.
You could be surprised. One day, a while back I was out driving with my wife as a passenger. Bothour cell phones rang at the same time. Mine said she was calling me and hers said I was calling her. I answered, & the line was busy :lol:

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:30 pm

I got a call from a scammer claiming to be a CRA (Canadian equivalent of IRS) scammer.

So what did I do? I called him back of course. It's a little difficult to understand what he's saying sometime, but it doesn't really detract from the fun.

Enjoy, and my apologies to Liam Neeson.
https://youtu.be/2bfG7hEQhIg