I now have a mask that goes over my nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
moosie

I now have a mask that goes over my nose

Post by moosie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:48 pm

After 2 years wearing a full face mask I started having a problem with feeling like I am getting too much air when I am sleeping with full face mask. I feel like my chest is ready to burst with air. I take the mask off and I start burping like crazy and passing gas as well. So the doctor put me on a new mask that only goes over my nose. He did now give me a strap to hold my chin up so my mouth is closed. Also I am getting itchy where the straps touch my hair above my ears. Also my ends of the skin near my eyes on the outer edges are getting dry and burning. Any ideas how to fix these areas?

Julie

Re: I now have a mask that goes over my nose

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 pm

The answer to your problem of 'too much air' might be in the pressure settings, but you need to provide them here so we can get a better idea of how to advise. They may have been too high, but what were the prescribed ones?

moosie

Post by moosie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 pm
The answer to your problem of 'too much air' might be in the pressure settings, but you need to provide them here so we can get a better idea of how to advise. They may have been too high, but what were the prescribed ones?
It is set on variable.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:37 am

What machine..what specific pressures? Why don't you fill in equipment in your profile? As Julie indicated, you may only need a pressure adjustment. Changing from a full face mask to a nasal mask may not make a difference in the pressure feeling.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 am

Variable means it can rise and fall, but there are still minimum and max. settings though your MD could (probably did) have set them to the defaults of 4 and 20, in which case you'll want to raise the min. to at least 6 as 4 is next to impossible to breathe at - something most doctors don't realize any more than they understand that 'variable' doesn't mean the default of 4 can rise to any level (i.e. 10 +) in time to intercept events there... so a slightly higher min. is usually needed. Leave the max alone for now though - you may never need to change it.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am

Julie wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 am
Variable means it can rise and fall, but there are still minimum and max. settings though your MD could (probably did) have set them to the defaults of 4 and 20, in which case you'll want to raise the min. to at least 6 as 4 is next to impossible to breathe at - something most doctors don't realize any more than they understand that 'variable' doesn't mean the default of 4 can rise to any level (i.e. 10 +) in time to intercept events there... so a slightly higher min. is usually needed. Leave the max alone for now though - you may never need to change it.
Sounds like too much pressure..not too little