What machines are remotely controllable? That seems like not necessarily a good thing (?)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ric

What machines are remotely controllable? That seems like not necessarily a good thing (?)

Post by Ric » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm

What machines are remotely controllable? I have heard horror stories of DMEs remotely programming the patient's pressure at a fixed 17 cm, and it is grossly inappropriate (IMHO). I can see how some people would benefit from this "feature", but I'm not convinced that this is a good thing where DMEs truly don't seem to know what they're doing and the patient suffers. Opinion?
He who dies with the most masks wins.

greatunclebill

Re: What machines are remotely controllable? That seems like not necessarily a good thing (?)

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:27 pm

it has to have a wired or wireless phone connection. if it has that installed and working it may be able to be controlled. you can defeat it by switching to airplane mode but then nobody sees any data from it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

palerider

Re: What machines are remotely controllable? That seems like not necessarily a good thing (?)

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Ric wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm
I have heard horror stories of DMEs remotely programming the patient's pressure at a fixed 17 cm, and it is grossly inappropriate (IMHO).
That's *hardly* a "horror story".

Any DME changing pressure without a doctors prescription is breaking the law.

Don't like the pressure, tell your doctor to bugger off.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Just call your DME. DME will not change pressure on your machine without a doctor's order. They might check it during the compliance period, and then change it back to what the doctor ordered if you fiddled with it, but they don't get paid for these changes by Medicare (US) and most insurance companies. That means staff time that isn't paid for. The only reason for the modem is for compliance and most patients in US don't need that once they have passed the 90 day compliance. You would be told if you were an exception.

What's done in your area may also depend on the staff available at your sleep doc's office. There are only 5 in my area and every one has a PT on staff (selling DME equipment, among other things) and they know how to access all these machines. You are expected to bring your machine in for your appointment and then any changes are done by the staff.

If you have a Respironics machine, you can just remove the cell module. On a Resmed, you can turn on airplane mode and leave it on.

The primary reason for these new cell phone/modem features is to use the apps to encourage users to check their stats and stay in compliance.

Edited due to missing word.

Last edited by SewTired on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diabetes 2, RLS & bradycardia
Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm

...for the record, I would NEVER let my DME or even my doctor mess with my pressure. It bothers me that there (reportedly) exist machines that allow them to do just that (without my/your explicit prior approval). I am the only one that I will allow to tweak the pressure, and I am the best qualified to do that for MY machine, because I check the nightly pressure reports and the machine titrations, and I have the subjective impressions that reliably let me know if there is slightly too much or too little pressure. Nobody else can do that. My question was really regarding WHICH machines (brand/model) are REMOTELY adjustable. And a corollary to that would be, how to prevent someone from externally dinking with the machine settings REMOTELY. Motive: a friend told me yesterday that his DME remotely set the pressure at an obscene 17 cm, and it was "blowing his brains out". Whether the doctor ordered that, or the DME just decided to do that is irrelevant. I would like to know HOW they can do that ??? IMHO the patient is ultimately responsible for his own health and well-being. That applies to setting the pressure on an APAP. (Remember, the doctors (and the DMEs) work for US !!!)

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks SewTired, I understand the usefulness of remotely accessing the data. And you've told us how to disable that feature (remove module, set airplane mode etc.). That is helpful, thanks !!! I thought it was sort of a one-way street, i.e. data collection. But not the other direction, (adjusting the machine settings). For the record, I think everybody should know how to adjust their machine, and to do it intelligently. Good info Sew ! :wink:

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Ric wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm
. My question was really regarding WHICH machines (brand/model) are REMOTELY adjustable.
Most of the modern ones.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 am

Don't know what happened with your friend. He should contact DME because the DME MUST have an order to change pressure. If he has a new machine, it's possible that there is an error in the board.

The option to change pressure remotely is actually a good one for home bound folks or folks who live rural, often a couple of hours from the DME or doc. Based on the number of people who don't use their blood glucose meter, I'd say most people wouldn't bother to learn enough to even consider changing their pressures themselves, much less read data.

Oh, and in answer to your question, most machines sold today can be operated remotely. If you absolutely and resolutely want no monitoring, then buy a machine yourself from an online retailer (or used).

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:08 am

Or enclose your machine in a Faraday cage.
If you decorate the bedroom in steampunk chic, it will fit right in.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:52 pm

I guess you could wrap your machine in several layers of aluminum foil??? If you don't like dealing with the nag screen. You should be able to watch the Cellular data signal strength on the menu screen on say a "Resmed" machine. Just keep messing with it till you get like 0 bars of signal... done. Don't cover up any vents for cooling or intake or your going to fry your machine. Could be fun though for a few nights. :)

Rest Well,

Gryphon

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:38 am

Read a bit more about faraday cages.
Some are built with copper foil tape covering every tiny seam.
Airtight might not work with cpap.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:39 am

If you know how to adjust the machine, you can always change it back!

If they keep changing it, you can remove the modem. In that case, put the modem in once per week, manually send the data, and then remove it. All the back data will be transmitted. Then make sure the settings are unaffected, and correct them if necessary.

Ric

Post by Ric » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks greatunclebill, Palerider, SewTired, ChynkyFrog, gryphon, D.H. Good info, and you've answered my question. I am older and wiser (mostly older), and I will relay your advice to my high-pressure acquaintance that started this discussion.

Meanwhile...
chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:08 am
Or enclose your machine in a Faraday cage.
If you decorate the bedroom in steampunk chic, it will fit right in.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:32 am

I'm not sure what a "Faraday cage" would accomplish better than removing the modem. Also, you have to sens your data in for compliance reasons.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:05 pm

very easy to look up. A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure used to block electromagnetic fields. A Faraday shield may be formed by a continuous covering of conductive material or in the case of a Faraday cage, by a mesh of such materials.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990