Success with Dr. Dakota Collar Device

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MurrayNevada

Success with Dr. Dakota Collar Device

Post by MurrayNevada » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:07 am

I had a great last two nights with the Dr. Dakota device. It's like a soft cervical collar but doesn't wrap all around the neck. AHI was more than cut in half (0.42 & 0.48) but the best part is I slept seven hours straight without any arousals I am aware of. Hope this continues.

Cardsfan

Re: Success with Dr. Dakota Collar Device

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:12 am

I'm thinking of getting one. Is it hard to get on and off? How comfortable is it? thanks.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 am

Easy to get off. It was a bit tricky to put on the first time but I quickly "got it" and it goes on easily now.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 am

MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 am
MurrayNevada
Would you do me a favor? I would like to know the height of the collar at the maximum - just under the front of the chin.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 am

You can accomplish the same thing using a cervical collar and it's a lot easier to put on.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

djams

Post by djams » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 am

Here's a video from the lankylefty
https://youtu.be/l1rM5XIje6M

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:01 am

MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:07 am
Hope this continues.
Properly fitted and sized collars are excellent for holding the neck in the optimal position for airway patency. Shortly after I started using CPAP, I told my sleep doctor things were hugely improved since I add a collar to my CPAP therapy. The byotch pooh-poohed the idea. Roll the clock forward four years, and for my annual visits I started seeing her PA. I mentioned the collar to the PA, and she said, "Yes, collars are great for CPAPers." Now, I make all my appointments with the PA. :mrgreen:

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:10 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 am
MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 am
MurrayNevada
Would you do me a favor? I would like to know the height of the collar at the maximum - just under the front of the chin.
It slopes down from front to back. The outward part is 3.25". The back, part touching your throat, is 2.5". That is the size "regular." The large is higher both front and back. The sizes are for height, chin to collar bone, not neck circumferences.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:13 am

squid13 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 am
You can accomplish the same thing using a cervical collar and it's a lot easier to put on.

I have tried some cervical collars and they are HOT. The Dr. Dakota is open at the back of the neck and it cools things off significantly. Not difficult to put on after you see how it works.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:20 am

MurrayNevada wrote:
I had a great last two nights with the Dr. Dakota device. It's like a soft cervical collar but doesn't wrap all around the neck. AHI was more than cut in half (0.42 & 0.48) but the best part is I slept seven hours straight without any arousals I am aware of. Hope this continues.
please keep us updated on the device. i'm curious as to how long it will maintain it's firmness. i have next to no experience with memory foam.

with the cervical collar, i get roughly three months out of it before i have to replace it. it's cheaper at around twelve bucks.

but would like to compare length of use time.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 pm

zonker wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:20 am
please keep us updated on the device. i'm curious as to how long it will maintain it's firmness. i have next to no experience with memory foam.

with the cervical collar, i get roughly three months out of it before i have to replace it. it's cheaper at around twelve bucks.

One of the reasons I use a firm foam cervical collar is the longer life. Firm is also more effective than soft or medium. YMMV.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:26 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:10 am
It slopes down from front to back. The outward part is 3.25". The back, part touching your throat, is 2.5". That is the size "regular." The large is higher both front and back. The sizes are for height, chin to collar bone, not neck circumferences.
Thanks for the info. BTW, Amazon only lists sizes small and large.

There are other nearly identical looking devices - Rakula and The Eliminator on Amazon.

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:40 pm

I just ordered a Dr. Dakota collar device a couple of days ago, hoping that it would be a reasonable alternative to my cervical collar, whose velcro is wearing out after 2.5 months. But I'm unhappy to hear that it is more difficult to put on. I have enough problems just with the cervical collar due to muscular problems in my upper arms. I'm hoping that the lack of so much width in the back of the neck will at least make it more comfortable to wear.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:45 pm

zonker wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:20 am
MurrayNevada wrote:

It is very firm and I do not see it breaking down any more that I see my memory foam mattress or pillow doing so. Another benefit I experienced with it is no dry mouth and this is without my usual Chin-Up strip or XyliMelts tabs on my gums. I was also at a lower pressure the last two nights and think that may be responsible for no remembered arousals during the night.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Uff Da wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:40 pm
I just ordered a Dr. Dakota collar device a couple of days ago, hoping that it would be a reasonable alternative to my cervical collar, whose velcro is wearing out after 2.5 months. But I'm unhappy to hear that it is more difficult to put on. I have enough problems just with the cervical collar due to muscular problems in my upper arms. I'm hoping that the lack of so much width in the back of the neck will at least make it more comfortable to wear.
Mine came with two Velcro straps. One is much longer than the other. I think that using the longer strap, at its max. you could possibly hook it up then slip it over your head. You could then tighten it and be good to go. You would have a lot of the strap left over but that shouldn't be a problem.