Dry mouth and gum issues with CPAP therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jubilla

Dry mouth and gum issues with CPAP therapy

Post by jubilla » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm

The past two teeth cleanings my hygienist has been concerned about excessive plaque buildup and gum tissue quality due to dry mouth. I take very good care of my teeth and gums. I started using Biotine rinse and gel due to excessive dry mouth since I started CPAP therapy. They said that dry mouth is a common side effect of CPAP therapy. It seems as if there is no winning - suffer with apnea or suffer with gum disease. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

zonker

Re: Dry mouth and gum issues with CPAP therapy

Post by zonker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 pm

jubilla wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm
The past two teeth cleanings my hygienist has been concerned about excessive plaque buildup and gum tissue quality due to dry mouth. I take very good care of my teeth and gums. I started using Biotine rinse and gel due to excessive dry mouth since I started CPAP therapy. They said that dry mouth is a common side effect of CPAP therapy. It seems as if there is no winning - suffer with apnea or suffer with gum disease. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
thanks to my dental hygienist warning about this from the start of my therapy, i've been using xylimelts lozenges to help with dry mouth. her office had just had a visit from a rep so i got to try free samples.

i put them in between cheek and gum right before sleep. i find it coats better if i use two rather than just one. and it seems to last all night long.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Dry mouth while on CPAP generally means that the patient is breathing through their mouth. The constant air flow seems to contribute to this condition.

I solved this problem by increasing the humidity level and the length of time humidity can be produced on my machine.
I purchased an external humidifier and put it into series with the one in the machine. So, air from the CPAP machine goes out and into the intake of the external humidifier which then goes out and into the CPAP air hose. Each humidifier contributes to the overall humidity level. On most nights, the water used exceeds 15 ounces ( the internal humidifier water chamber holds roughly 10 ounces. ) Without the external humidifier, the internal one will be empty and dry by 2 or 3 AM.

BTW, as you know, lower levels of humidity don't cut it with dry mouth.

All the hoses are insulated to help control rainout and the CPAP hose that came with the machine was replaced with a third party heated hose as the electrical connection at the machine no longer can be connected to the manufacturer's heated hose.

It's complicated but it does solve the dry mouth issue.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 pm

My plaque deposits dropped off about 70-80% about a year ago, after I stopped snacking on sweets.
No kidding!
My gums went from passable to almost amazing.
Note: I have been using cpap for over 8 years.
Mouth breathing can contribute, but other factors can be at fault.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Dry mouth *is* a common side effect of CPAP therapy, even if not all CPAP users experience it. There are of course ways to deal with it (extra humidification, dry mouth gel, avoiding sweets, improving dental hygiene, avoiding mouth breathing...) that can help protect the teeth and gums. In the 6+ years I've been on CPAP there have definitely been changes in my dental health, and though I mouth tape and have zero leaks, I wake up in the A.M. with a dryer mouth than before I started on CPAP. I can't imagine how air blowing into the airway all night every night would *not* have a drying effect.

CPAPforever

Post by CPAPforever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:51 am

I use full face mask and my pressure settings are high (compared to CPAP). 19 IPAP and 15 EPAP. My water reservoir in humidifier goes totally dry in 8 hours and I am breathing really hot, dry air. I always have a very dry mouth at night because I use full face mask and breath thorough my mouth during the night at times. I keep a bottle of water at bedside. I asked my dentist about it on my last checkup and he said it wouldn't harm my teeth or gums to have dry mouth during the night. With a good brushing of teeth before bedtime, no plaque on teeth to become tartar. I get my teeth cleaned every two years and minimal tartar to scrape off.

Dry mouth is only a problem during the day when plaque can build fast because food, sweets, drinks, etc. That is my dentist's take on dry mouth and CPAP.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Zonker said:
i've been using xylimelts lozenges to help with dry mouth. her office had just had a visit from a rep so i got to try free samples.

I have been using XyliMelts disks (small disk that adheres to gums or molars) and it has been taking care of my dry mouth problem.