I need help, its been a year no improvement

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
candle_86

I need help, its been a year no improvement

Post by candle_86 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am

It's been a year for me since I got my cpap, i still can't get a good nights sleep, according to my wife every single night i thrash around violently, ripping off the mask and she has to wake me and put it back on.

I've tried 3 different masks, a nasal, and 2 full face masks. It's starting to affect more than just my sleep, I'm falling asleep at work, I struggle to stay awake driving even in broad daylight, but i also lost my health insurance so i can't go back to the sleep clinic right now, can't afford to pay full price, what steps can I try now, i really need to be able to function.

Can't tell you what masks I have, all 3 where provided by the clinic, and where opened for me to show me how to assemble the headgear but packaging tossed so I can't identify them I apologize.

knothead

Re: I need help, its been a year no improvement

Post by knothead » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am

Hi candle,

First thing is getting brain getting used to a foreign object on your face. Bunch of folks do this routine and have good results by slowly adapting to the mask.
Start by wearing it watching tv, walking around the house or anything to get used to it.
2nd, wear it hooked up to machine while watching tv, do this for a week or more and your brain will start to accept it.
3rd, lie in bed with it on, machine on, just to get used to the feeling. Maybe take a nap with it, do these steps for several days, weeks. You will be surprised at the outcome. I followed these guidelines and soon I was able to keep the mask on all night. Good luck.
I use a FFM and had claustrophobia real bad and this procedure worked for me to overcome...now I wont leave home without it... :lol:

candle_86

Post by candle_86 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 pm

I will give that a shot

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Is your machine really the AirSense 10 CPAP????
There is limited data available on the CPAP model. Not as good as with the Elite or AutoSet but better than nothing.
Did you know about the data to see how your therapy is going?
If not...see this manual...go in and change Essentials from On to Plus and then you can at least see the AHI and leak numbers to make sure the therapy is at least optimal.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

So do that and report back what AHI and leak numbers you see on the screen.
No sense in downloading SleepyHead because it won't show anything on the CPAP model. Now ResScan can be used and it will show the limited data the CPAP model collects if you want to see the back data.
ResScan is Windows only software though...but you can get it and install it but if you want to do that...send me a PM.
The current version is a PITA and I would recommend going with the one model older version.

Also...how many hours of sleep are you getting? Are those hours of sleep fragmented with a lot of wake ups? If so, how many and any idea why?

Do you take any medications of any kind? If so, what?

Maybe go here and stroll through the masks to see if you can figure out what masks you have.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php
If you still can't figure it out...take a picture and post the picture and maybe we can figure it out that way.
How to post images..explained in this thread.
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html
Disregard the part about the reports...if you really have the CPAP model and not the Elite or AutoSet you won't have any detailed reports to share. All you will have is a generic AHI and a leak number.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Yes, look on the lower right corner of the machine, it says "Airsense 10" something.... what's the something?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:23 pm

The first 5 months of my treatment was miserable. With the guidance of some folks here I found out my settings weren't optimized and my treatment left a lot to be desired. Once I got my settings dialed in things began to turn around. Even the best fitting and most comfortable of masks can't make up for inadequate therapy. I see you've got some knowledgeble folks ready to help you make sure your treatment is dialed in. Once that is confirmed, then focus on specific problems with particular masks. Good luck with things.

candle_86

Post by candle_86 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Ok sorry on info i got it wrong, but i wasn't looking at it

Airsense 10 Elite

I take Prilosec OTC for my GERD's, and a daily asprin for my heart palpatations, nothing that should affect my sleep.

maskfit is a smiley face

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm

candle_86 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Airsense 10 Elite

I take Prilosec OTC for my GERD's, and a daily asprin for my heart palpatations, nothing that should affect my sleep.

maskfit is a smiley face
Great, the Elite has full data... grab a copy of sleepyhead, and post some pics, please follow the guidelines in my sig.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

candle_86

Post by candle_86 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
candle_86 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Airsense 10 Elite

maskfit is a smiley face
Great, the Elite has full data... grab a copy of sleepyhead, and post some pics, please follow the guidelines in my sig.
How do I need to format an SD card for it, my machine did not come with an SD Card, I will say I wore the mask from 7 until I went to bed at midnite and I actually woke up this morning not as tired as I have been lately

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

candle_86 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 am
How do I need to format an SD card for it, my machine did not come with an SD Card,
You don't really have to do any special formatting of the SD card. The machine will do it for you.
ResMed machines don't like for any other files to be on a SD card though...so just delete any old files you might have on an old SD card manually so the card has nothing on it and stick it in the machine.
Or if you buy a brand new SD card (and any cheap generic SD card will work and most will be a lot bigger than you will ever need...2 GB is more than big enough but it's getting really hard to find those smaller capacity cards) just stick it in the machine and the machine will take care of making the card ready for writing of data to it.

Please note that the SD card has to be in the machine all night when the machine is used to get all the details that the machine can deliver. It only stores summary data on its internal memory which is mainly a generic AHi, pressure, hours used and leak numbers. No graphs. So the first time you stick the SD card in the machine and then pull it to use the software you won't have any detailed data graphs to look at. Those happen only while asleep and the SD card is in the machine.
Examples shown here of what you can see once you get the detailed stuff getting written to the SD card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mtnguyen

Post by mtnguyen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:25 am

or you might need vpap?

candle_86

Post by candle_86 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:07 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am
candle_86 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 am
How do I need to format an SD card for it, my machine did not come with an SD Card,
You don't really have to do any special formatting of the SD card. The machine will do it for you.
ResMed machines don't like for any other files to be on a SD card though...so just delete any old files you might have on an old SD card manually so the card has nothing on it and stick it in the machine.
Or if you buy a brand new SD card (and any cheap generic SD card will work and most will be a lot bigger than you will ever need...2 GB is more than big enough but it's getting really hard to find those smaller capacity cards) just stick it in the machine and the machine will take care of making the card ready for writing of data to it.

Please note that the SD card has to be in the machine all night when the machine is used to get all the details that the machine can deliver. It only stores summary data on its internal memory which is mainly a generic AHi, pressure, hours used and leak numbers. No graphs. So the first time you stick the SD card in the machine and then pull it to use the software you won't have any detailed data graphs to look at. Those happen only while asleep and the SD card is in the machine.
Examples shown here of what you can see once you get the detailed stuff getting written to the SD card.
Well being an IT guy I've got plenty of SD cards, ranging in size from 512mb to 128gb, but I've got quite a few 1-2gb SD cards

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Any of those SD cards will probably do the trick.

I suspect that the problem is that you need a different pressure than the one you have set. No matter what you've been told, you can change it yourself!

Also, please make sure to clear your sinuses (i.e. blow your nose) immediately before starting therapy.

candle_86

Post by candle_86 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:32 am

When I get off work ill put the SD card into my computer again and run sleepy head and submit

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:26 pm

In order to get detailed data, the SD card needs to be in the machine while you are using it.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.